1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

so they are still in use, just stored as decoration?

2. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

ask any cobbler. it's no rocket science.

3. pinchi22

pinchi22 Well-Known Member

I only meant that as an example of attention to detail. I have several C&J handgrades, which are my benchmark, but these are certainly competitive (IMHO). And at €290 ($377), I think they are very good value.

If there is enough interest, I may stop by the store to take pics with my SLR.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

it's a gimmick, imo.

it suits not every style also. see the discussion about AS.

5. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

C'mon Fritz.

When I see a shoe that catches my eye, I pick it up to inspect it. Then next thing I do is flip it over and take a look at the sole. The sole of a shoe is the window into the soul of the shoe. Alternatively, I will not buy a shoe online if there is no pic of the sole available. This goes for any brand.

If someone cam across a pair of Kenneth Coles with a fiddled or beveled waist, no doubt they would snap a pic and post it here. See what I mean?

Does it mean the shoe was hand welted with the pubic hairs of virgins? Maybe not. Does it mean that whomever crafted the shoe aimed a bit higher? Absolutely.

6. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Only because I think it too much to ask of you to get pictures of all of the Linea Maestro line I would be interested in the shoe pictured above and trees to match. I believe it is on the Rey last. Apparently I need a size 11.5. My feet are of average width (the earlier posts which mention my EG 888 size was a bit faulty, I'm a 12/12.5E in all EG lasts, the 3 pairs of 888 shoes I have owned were all 12.5/13D).

Since the other member I know that is interested live within a stone's throw of me perhaps we can both order via yourself and have the shoes and trees shipped to a central location i.e. my home :)

Let me know how much this will set me back.

Thanks

7. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

There aren't many models in their Linea Maestro line really, most of them are in the pictures starting this thread. Personally, I loved the 3-eyelet wholecuts.

I believe that model is from the "regular" Linea Maestro, which is €250+€35 for the trees = €285. Shipping via mail should be somewhere around €35, but could be a little higher depending on package weight. Package insurance, etc. also could add some to shipping costs.

So that would make €320 = $417 + possible extra shipping costs...

So 11.5UK is it? Beware, if your feet are a "regular" width but you usually need a 12.5 because of length, you might have to size down a little less! Do you have enough toe space in your 12.5's?

This "New Rey" last is pretty elongated though, so that might not be a problem and 11.5 would work fine...

8. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

The 12.5s I wear are EG which are not at all elongated. I wear a 12 in Magnanni which are long but not too wide if that helps. By regular Linea Maestro line do you mean they still have the fiddle painted sole and good leather quality as pictured? I don't really need the highest of the high but I want to review these shoes and compare them to the two pairs of Carminas I have as well as the other brands I own.

What would I owe you for the service?

9. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Looking for something in a dark brown. If you can snap a few pictures, I would GREATLY appreciate it. If not, I'll take those above in a 9.5, I am 10.5/11D in EG and 10E (UK) or 11D in 348 last from C&J.

Also, just need to know the finally price (i think it would be the same as above). You can PM me or post on here, whichever you prefer. Add whatever fee you would charge.

Thanks

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Yes. The "higher end" ones are the Norvegese stitched. The "regular" ones (always talking about Maestro) also have a fiddle painted sole and the same leather. I will check the store again today, just in case they happen to be more than €250, but I could have sworn I saw those in their "regular" Maestro line.

gyasih, you're interested in the same model as NORE? I don't think they will let me take any pictures inside the store, and my phone camera is pretty bad...

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Sent PM to both of you :)

12. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

rdiaz anyway you could confirm what modes/colors they have in shell?

gracias

13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

c'mon nore.

you know, i'm not into this bullshit. each to his own.

to the i-gents - yes.

otherwise - no.

14. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Nah, I really mean it. I will not buy a shoe if the sole looks crappy. Each time I have posted pics of my shoes I include a sole shot, worn or not. Speaks to what I'm saying. Adn did you even see my avatar?

I'm not the only one who feels this way about soles.

15. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

i know this already. period.

16. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

I just saw brown and black, but their shell is not worth it IMO. It doesn't seem very well finished.

17. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

thanks

I also confirmed with them that their shell is NOT Horween, but is from Argentina

18. habanos

habanos Well-Known Member

So does anyone have any pics of the "classic " line. 130 EU sounds really nice pricewise, I am thinking this is around Loding look and quality?

19. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I too am curious. What other brands of shoes does RDiaz have in his rotation?

Are these comparable to Loake1880?

20. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

The classic line is €140, not 130.

My shoe rotation is quite humble, really. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so Meermins come on as a blessing for me. I really hate loving shoes as much as I do and having a low income! I own a pair of Carminas, and everything else is Magnanni. Other brands I've tried are C&J and Allen Edmonds. So I can't compare them with Loake 1880's...

Thad said, the pair I bought looks good. The finishing might not be as good as C&J benchgrade but the leather quality seems nice and the construction is solid. Wore them yesterday and they were very comfortable and didn't crease on their first wear, which my Magnannis always do (though that might just be the fit). Great value for their price it seems, but only time will tell.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012