1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Meermins are excellent for what you paying for, but to compare them to Carmina, they are just not the same.

2. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

This is how much I paid or potentially will pay for these items (all in: fees, shipping, etc...)

Meermin classic line - 250
    AE - 250
    Meermin lm - 370
    Carmina - 450

So both the Meermin classic line and AE are priced pretty similar (assuming you buy AEs during semi-annual sale).

There's about an $80 dollar difference between Carmina and Meermin LM line, but the difference is significantly less when there's a sale for Carmina ($350 - $400). Meermin never goes on sale and you have to buy directly from the retailer.

All in all, I'm really impressed with Meermin's classic line as the pricing is very similar to AE shoes, yet aesthetically I find Meermin's last and construction more appealing.

[​IMG]

Meermin's GMTOs are definitely worth it, but I'm trying to see whether it's better to buy Carmina or Meermin LM "stock inventory" when the pricing is so similar.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I guess you're basing that on only ever buying AE sale items. Which in a way is fair enough, as there are always some on sale. I'm the same, always after the bargain - I paid $250 for my shell AEs, and $99 for the cow leather ones before that! An advantage of scale, and of course, a serious restriction on choice for those kind of prices. But Meermin come to about $200 for me with shipping for the Classic line, and I agree that the last shapes are much more attractive. And there's a full choice at that price - even if they have to be made to order on another planet and delivered by donkey. [​IMG]

As for LM, I think it's too close in pricing to Carmina or Vass to be such great value. The limited last choices keep me away too; I'd feel differently if I had New Rey elf feet though.

4. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

^ Mimo

I was just curious to see how you got your numbers. Since I live in the US, I get a tax break but there are duty fees to offset that.

EUROS

132 (shoes, ex vat) + (35 shipping fee) = 167

167 x 1.38 (currency rate - euro to us) = 230 USD

230 + 20 (duty fees) = 250 USD

That is how much I paid. Was your experienece any different?

I also used typical AE sales as the metric because they are so prevalent. I would not consider a $250 shell purchase from AE a typical sale though. $250 for first-quality calf is fair game to me. I have purchased $300 Carminas before from the shoemart, but I would not use that as a comparison as well since $400 to $450 is more or less the going price when Carminas are on sale. I simply used Meermin's retail pricing because they're never on-sale and the above prices would be the absolute cheapest I can buy them for.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Quick question:

If I'm an 8.5 UK Rui last (with 9 being a tad long) and a 9UK in Hiro (with 8.5 being very tight in the toe box and a little short), what am I in Mos?. I'm getting ready to move to a place where penny loafers are much more acceptable with more casual jacket/trouser combinations.

6. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Bit of a change of pace, gents. Putting on my best Lou Rawls / Isaac Hayes voice: This one's for the ladies.

These were a surprise for the lovely Mrs. P., and she is just over the moon about them. First time I have ever bought her shoes without her presence or even her input. She is appropriately stunned that I managed to do so well. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Stirling

Stirling Well-Known Member

Lol very good. :nodding:

8. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

9. konda

konda Well-Known Member

- Lasts
    - Leather
    - Finishing
    - Quality

Don't get me wrong I really like Meermins and they are fine shoes. It's just that Carminas are higher quality with better lasts. But especially in MTOs Meermin is more flexible and you can have all sorts of crazy shoes made, where as Carmina is getting stingier and stingier with available MTO options.

Both are good options - just different.

1 person likes this.
  10. leetpuma

leetpuma Well-Known Member

You guys have really piqued my interest in carmina my next shoe will likely be with them. (Maybe next year :p)

Thanks to all the folks that give info about carmina vs meermin to me.

11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

JezeC: I'm sure you're right, I might be deliberately deluding myself on the exchange rate to justify shoe buying..not the first time...I'd just registered it in my brain as "about $200" [​IMG]

Roger: they look great. But I'm always a bit wary of projecting my taste onto my beloved. I'm currently playing safe and hunting for a Louboutin bargain for her birthday...that one I know I'll get right!

Leetpuma: sorry for losing my temper. Shoe threads should be friendly. Peace.

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Was meermin going to offer the brown museum as a staple too?
    The instagram pic of brown looks pretty awesome, although I mediate that with the filtering that's on the pic. Still I feel brown measuem would blend better or be slightly more subtle than the plum.

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Me too. I think it's the museum, personally.

14. Jazz3Pickz

Jazz3Pickz Active Member

Ordered a pair of dark brown oxfords from the classic line two weeks ago. The sole on one shoe split after the first wear and I noticed what appeared to be mold inside one of the shoes. I will save up for Carmina's next time, but hey, at least the delivery only took a week from start to finish this time!

15. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

1 person likes this.
  16. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Quote:Roger and Konda. Just to be transparent, I'm presuming both of you are comparing the Meermin's LM line to Carmina.

17. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

I'll be the dissenting opinion and say Carmina in terms of build quailty isn't better than Meermin LM. Uppers, lining, welt, soles--no huge disparity for calf offerings. But LM is hand-welted, and Carmina is gemmed.

Aesthetics is taste; Carmina blows Meermin out of the water in quality control.

18. leetpuma

leetpuma Well-Known Member

I too am at fault for being overly judgmental about your post.
    Hope Luisa responds to your emails. (Persistence is always key with meermin)

19. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

How did you size relative to her other footwear?

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Is this correct in peoples experience?

Meermin told me I am the same size in Olfe, Rui, and Hiro.

I said Hiro fits snug in UK 8 and they emailed me back saying I can still fit the same size in the two other lasts.

If I get a pair of Olfe sized incorrectly can I have them pay for the exchange shipping? :O