1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

I think I'd prefer Foo's shoes for an MTO:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. leetpuma

leetpuma Well-Known Member

If you are not 110mm you need to figure this out now. Me and claus are making our recommendations based on that.

If you truly are 110 mm then I would think that 8.5Uk would be better.

If you are 106 or lower I would try the 8UK. (arbitrary cutoff)

I still stand by my initial thought that if you are sizing up to fit your width your length will keep getting longer... At the end you are going to have clown shoes. Which worries me.

Even with my 7.5 UK fit and with 265mm long feet there is 1.5 cm of space in front of my toes. (In the top of the V of the toe box.) At 8 expect 2cm and 8.5 expect 2.5cm. (guesstimates) both are getting to the point where I would not like the fit.

Also be careful with getting heel slippage as you get looser (this can sort of be fixed with heel pads and tongue pads but sometimes it cannot and then you are really screwed). I would maybe try a pair of chukkas or boots. They are both much more forgiving to size errors. http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2792

Also you may want to look into wider lasts like RUI.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  3. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

It looks good with the cap toe and I'd probably be interested in that. I just think it looks odd with the capless toe unless it has a medallion. I don't like capless medallions though.

4. rqc0

rqc0 Member

Thank you, both of you.

I was already leaning towards getting the 8.5UK, for the same reasons as Clause spelled out.
    Also, as I mentioned and Clause reiterated, I had already become accustomed to wearing "clown" shoes that were overly spacious for many years.
    Your opinions coincide with mine, which is somewhat comforting.

Also, it is a bit sad that Luisa has unintentionally misled a few Meermin customers! I wonder what is the best way to bring her notice to this? I thought the Meermin staff read this thread, no?

And yes, leet, I also suggested to Luisa that she send me only one pair at first. Also, thank you for suggesting I get the boot first -- I am going to order the black cordovan boot that was recently taken off the page, they said they can still make that. But I also already asked Luisa to ship me 102461 - Black Fredudenberg Calf first, as this is a business shoe I can start using right away. Everything will take a while to arrive I'm sure.

Thanks again, I hope to stay active on Style Forum.

Cheers.

(And maybe in some weeks, I can post some good news after receiving shoes. My order is yet to be placed, just finalizing with Luisa.)

5. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

well, she already suggested half a size up from the normal size, if you are a US 8.5E, I would actually also recommend a UK 8 to start off with, the Hiro last isn't narrow at all. I size is US 6.5E, while UK 6 in the Hiro last is fine fitting for me, snug at start and will loosen up.

6. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

Price?

7. rqc0

rqc0 Member

Thanks for the input, wurger.

You are right, the Hiro is wider than the Olfe, and leet had been sharing his experience with the Olfe last.

I think I will go with UK8.5 on my Olfe orders and UK8 on my Hiro orders, how does that sound?

Thanks!

8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Can somebody help me sort the following last from widest to narrowest?

Hiro, Olfe, 5-last (AE - park avenue, 5th avenue, strands, macallister etc...) and 1-last (AE - leeds)

I'm a 9.5D in 5-last and 9.0D in 1-last since it's wider.

9. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

Just received my Classic line captoes on the Hiro last. This is taken after they had been for their first spin. Can only say that I once Again am very pleased with the product. They need some polisihing Work, but that is what weekends are for :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. JMartinEsq

JMartinEsq Member

Upon further review, I think I am going to have to part ways with my Meermin double monk boots. After 4 wears, it has become clear to me that they are simply too small. Instead of forcing myself to wear them a few more times and then relegating them to the back of the closet, I want to see if someone is interested in them. I'll put them on B&S but wanted to make the meermin folks aware.

They are linea maestro double monk strap boots in black calf. They are a size 8.5uk and on hiro last. I have worn them exactly 4 times and they have slight creasing as you would expect after 4 wears. They are not available on Meermins website, so you will not likely see another pair walking around. I bought them from Vicen, who sells Meermins unsold stock and blemished items on eBay. They are flawless when I bought them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shoot me a pm if you are interested or have questions. Thanks.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

^ My first pair of calf Meermins took a lot longer than 4 wears to break in. I was at the same point as you, but decided to keep them...glad I did. Just something to consider...

12. JMartinEsq

JMartinEsq Member

Thanks for that. I'm not going to just give them away so if I can't get good value for them, then I will keep trying. I'm just afraid they are a little too small to break in adequately.

13. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have 10-15 days delay on their Snuff Rapello Suede boots?

14. leetpuma

All the same witdh:
    Hiro, Olfe, 5-last (AE - park avenue, 5th avenue, strands, macallister etc...)

Slighly wider
    AE 1 last

15. leetpuma

Looking at the physical numbers for each the hiro olfe lasts they are both almost the same width. The differncent is the length and maybe where the ball fits.
    And ironically the OLFE is actually lised as 1 mm larger.

L 300mm shoe outsole 7.5UK OLFE
    W 105mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
    L 280mm last insole 7.5UK
    W 100mm last insole 7.5UK

L 294mm shoe outsole 7,5UK. - HIRO
    W 103mm shoe outsole 7,5UK. -
    L 276mm last insole 7,5UK. -
    W 099mm last insole 7,5UK. -

Most folks fit into both with the same size. If I were you I would suggest you get one shoe in both 8 and 8.5.

The Olfe is the more sexy-looking euro last. With an more aggressive toe. I would just stick to OLFE for you since your toes are not even going to make it to the toebox ("clown shoes analogy") and that way you get sexier shoes. (Assuming the ball of the shoe matches your foot)

However if you think that the shoe length is getting too long HIRO may be better since its toe length is shorter

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  16. FStyles

FStyles Well-Known Member

Random but does meermin only come with one shoe bag?

I ordered my first pair of meermin, snuff suede tassel loafers with trees on Monday. They were in stock and shipped on Tuesday.
    Fedex said 9 days but it arrived here in Cali on Thursday so 2 days door to door. Woah. Yes standard shipping.

Finish wise, they're exactly what I expected. Nice design but a bit rough around the edges - sock liner coming unglued, makers mark on the trees we're mismatched and crooked, etc. Nothing major.

Overall I'm satisfied with the quality but the decision to pinch the moc toe stitching was interesting and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

17. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

Where can we get more detailed pics of this new last? Specifically, a birds-eye view so we can see the shape.......

Also, what is the name of it and when does it go into production?

Any info is appreciated!

18. rqc0

rqc0 Member

Hey, thanks.

Yes, I was trying to compare numbers and see that they are all so close.

Yes, the three dress shoes I plan to get are Olfe last, and the Hiro is just the Cordovan Boot.

I keep waffling between what size to get... I finally did the "trace" of my foot on paper today.

The discrepancy in my width is...:

The furthest point on each side of my foot is not straight across from each other, i.e., the ball of my foot is higher and diagonal from the furthest point on the outer edge of my foot.
    So if I measure diagonally across my foot from furthest end to furthest end, it is 110mm.
    If I measure level across from the ball of the foot to the outer edge, it is only about 105mm.

Which is the correct and relevant measurement?

Once this is cleared up, I can decide for either the 8 UK or 8.5 UK.

Thanks so much all.

19. leetpuma

Yes.

20. leetpuma

This is.

Measure level across. If you are just 105 at the widest point then I would get an 8uk (olfe/hiro)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    2 people like this.