1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'm probably going to buy the tan country calf monks and those plum museum's when they come out. What last are they, Olfe?

2. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Well-Known Member

The tan country calf is very nice :). It looks like the Olfe last which in my opinion is the most versatile only behind the Hiro lasts

3. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

Olfe is nicer then Hiro in my opinion. I have both and have handled countless pairs in different designs.Olfe is so much sleeker while Hiro for me looks like the traditional last Enlish shoemakers make.Churchs come to mind when i look at the Hiro last

The tan monks are awesome;i have a pair and they are great.They have also held up very2 well and its been 1 year since i purchased them

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. terrorsquad

The plum museums are great especially if you burnish the toe cap with black polish :slayer:

5. Geran Brown

I can see your point. The Hiro is very American in my opinion which is why I said it was more versatile but I agree with you that the Olfe last is much better looking and my preferred last.

My MTO order pair will be on the AMA last though :)

6. terrorsquad

I have the Ama in a wholecut and i hate it.The last is very blobby, accentuated by the fact its a wholecut. i have a friend who has an oxford in the ama last and it looks much much better

7. Geran Brown

I saw the Navy whole cut on Meermin's tumblr page on the Ama last and it looks great. I wonder why it is blobby though.

I'm getting an oxford in suede with the Ama just trying to decide which color suede I want.

8. Ironist

Ah, thats for the info guys. I hate my AE 5 last shoes so that's giving me second thoughts about the hiro last. I though they were both sleek and looked similar. Good to know. Just out of curiosity, is the tan the same shade as an AE walnut or is the light brown closer to the AE walnut color?

And thanks for the burnishing tip, I know very little about shoe polish / burnishing but I'll try that if I can get my hands on the plum museums. Hope they will have it in 6 uk.

9. ktown

ktown Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. I want to get rid of my AE PA's at some point and replace them with a better-looking black cap toe. When I was new to SF, I thought spending $200+ on shoes was a lot and so I went with AE since that's the entry-level shoe. But as I've acquired more European shoes, the AE's are very blobby to my eyes now.

2 people like this.
  10. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

Funny thing about this post is I was exactly in the same position a year ago when purchased my first pair of "higher-end" shoes, AE Walnut Strands. While I still love my pair I've noticed my taste has changed as well toward sleeker lasts. If I had to do it over I would have bought a pair of Carmina cap-toes in tan calf had I heard about them then. Again, I have no regrets however LoL.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ironist

Lol, well when I bought my mcallisters and strands like four months ago so my love affair with AE was very brief. Now I use them as beater shoes whenever I think it might snow or when I am too lazy to wear boots and change shoes in the office. I guess I'm just looking for a reason to replace them with meermin's semi-brogue and adelaide :D.

Reminds me, I was talking to my friend the other day and he said he wanted to buy his first pair of real shoes and asked for my recommendations. I showed him the dark brown meermin captoes and he said those were exactly what he was looking for. A couple minutes later I showed him the AE park avenues and made the mistake of saying they were the same shoes the president wore. Oh well. It was kind of hard to sell him on the prospect of buying something sight unseen when he's spending "a lot of money" on a shoe. It makes sense though, I doubt many people could start with any quality shoe other than the AE since it is much more accessible. I just wish it weren't so damn ugly.

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Haha yeah when I first came to the boards I thought AE where the bees knees, I still like my 5th avenue boots and look after them the walnut daltons though I look at now I wonder why I thought they were good, seem and feel so clunky. I'm not going to tare down AE as they do some good stuff in a reasonable price range but for me personally I think the Euro styles and shoe makers run rings around them now.

13. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

how far away are we from the chisel toe wholecut hatch grain shoes?

14. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

I like my AEs, but I find them to be a little inconsistent size wise. The 5 last is just not a good size for me either, hence why I am selling my black cap toes.

It's a shame too, because I paid full retail when I first bought them.

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

The sole is splitting, and the shoes are 9 months old. Does this mean it's time for a resole? If so, how much would a resole in Dainite cost? Btw, they have been abused a little as club beaters over the past few months, so I'm not questioning Meermin's quality per se.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  16. MSchapiro

1 person likes this.
  17. Monkeyface

Damn, might as well buy a new pair then. Thanks for the advice! Btw, I replaced the heels about 2 months ago. Does a resole mean that heels will need to be replaced as well, even though they're still good?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  18. MSchapiro

Really good question. Logically it seems like it should?

Still if you take it to a local cobbler, they may be able to do a quick fix that will last a few months. Maybe a clamp and some glue.

The high cost to re sole is the reason I avoid Dainite in favor of Topys on my cheaper (or much more expensive) shoes.

1 person likes this.
  19. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like they need a resole. I would just superglue the welt back together and go over it with some wax.

1 person likes this.
  20. Monkeyface

Tanks, that's good news!