• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
I'll just state without further adding to your woes that here in Australia we are very lucky with that stuff.

No duty or GST under $1000 is payable. Over $1000 it's 10% GST and 5% duty.
Ironically, if the item is made in America there is no duty to pay.

p.henrik

Reaction score
No news on the hatch grain MTO yet? Been offline for a few weeks, but don't sem to have missed out on it, like I feared.

I'm thinking of doing a shell boot MTO, Pepe tells me price would be EUR400 incl VAT (presumably without shipping) if we can do min 6 pairs. Anyone keen on doing a group MTO? My initial thoughts are medium height balmoral quarter brogue in olfe last, rubber sole, but I'm open to suggestions. Thoughts?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ post pics, don't complain

it's a fcking reality of buying shoes. Meermin is only attractive at the prices listed online. With duties and fees, use tax they are not worth the money, not in the states atleast

Where do you find a better valued/construction shoes instead of Meermin LM (less than $450 w/o trees)? Vass is the only other option at ~$200 more but they do have a harder time in making things consistently. Saint Crispins are nice but its $1500+. The cheapest bespoke maker I've talked to starts at $800.

Carmina/C&J are way overpriced their mediocre quality besides the fact that they are GY welted. G&G RTW has been cutting corners since going mass market and AS is just disappointing. JL and EG are top notch but JL skimps on material as well. EG is best of the GY welted pack but their customer service is meh.

Don't get me wrong, Meermin LM saves on some materials as well (specifically cost cutting at the JL level, a notch below EG), but guys like Carmina and C&J cuts much much more...

Vass is good. Saint Crispins is good (aside from the machine stitched soles).

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just state without further adding to your woes that here in Australia we are very lucky with that stuff.

Yes, but shipping, especially returns, is a biatch royale.

Still, you dont see me going on and on and on and on and on about that.

henrikc

Reaction score

We're not so lucky in Norway.
25% sales tax (and possibly 10% customs tax) for everything valued at more than $35. Also a $20 flat fee (for everything >$35).

Shoes are not subject to customs tax, but clothes are. Did I mention that you also pay tax on the shipping costs?

But even with the taxes Meermin still provides great value compared to the chain stores. For a ~50% increase in total costs I can go from a pretty crappy pair of generic leather shoes to a pair from the classic collection.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, but shipping, especially returns, is a biatch royale.

Still, you dont see me going on and on and on and on and on about that.

True but that's the risks of buying stuff off the internet that requires trying on. Been burned a few times with that myself.
We're not so lucky in Norway.
25% sales tax (and possibly 10% customs tax) for everything valued at more than $35. Also a $20 flat fee (for everything >$35).

Shoes are not subject to customs tax, but clothes are. Did I mention that you also pay tax on the shipping costs?

But even with the taxes Meermin still provides great value compared to the chain stores. For a ~50% increase in total costs I can go from a pretty crappy pair of generic leather shoes to a pair from the classic collection.

That all sounds pretty ridiculous and answers why a SF member from Norway asked me if we had an address in the EU we ship from to avoid some of the taxes. Are they lower/non-existent when being shipped from another country within the EU?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, but the rules are such that anything over the value of 200NOK (approx. $35) are subjected to VAT. However, if it is a gift the limit rises to 1000NOK ($171), probably explaining why Norwegians sometimes ask for the package to be marked as gift.

Last edited:

henrikc

Reaction score
Packages sent within the European Union are considered "domestic" and won't be taxed. Unfortunately Norway is not a part of the EU, just the EEC.
However, we border with Sweden and they are members of the EU. It's possible to do a poste restante where you ship it to a post office in Sweden and pick it up yourself. Since you're leaving the country you can bring goods worth up to ~$500 (~$1000 if you've been out of the country for more than 24 hours) without paying any taxes.

For those living relatively close to the border this can be combined with shopping, as meat, tobacco and alcohol is cheaper in Sweden, so the SF member you talked to might have considered going that route.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Packages sent within the European Union are considered "domestic" and won't be taxed. Unfortunately Norway is not a part of the EU, just the EEC.
However, we border with Sweden and they are members of the EU. It's possible to do a poste restante where you ship it to a post office in Sweden and pick it up yourself. Since you're leaving the country you can bring goods worth up to ~$500 (~$1000 if you've been out of the country for more than 24 hours) without paying any taxes.

For those living relatively close to the border this can be combined with shopping, as meat, tobacco and alcohol is cheaper in Sweden, so the SF member you talked to might have considered going that route.

I kid, I kid; this is correct as well.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Packages sent within the European Union are considered "domestic" and won't be taxed.

You won't pay import duty but the Vat is payable at the rate of the country of purchase. (22% for Spain I believe)
We all suffer in one way or another. I ordered a pair of Alden's and ended up cancelling as the 20% VAT and 8% duty was pushing the cost to almost $1000! (We get taxed on the shipping in the UK too)
I do think Namor has been royally ripped off tho

Last edited:

Xtra

Reaction score

For those lucky enough to live close enough to Sweden, poste restante is a good way of avoiding taxes.

And yes, Henry Carter, it's quite ridiculous. The 200 NOK (35$) limit has not been altered since the 1970s I think.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where do you find a better valued/construction shoes instead of Meermin LM (less than $450 w/o trees)?  Vass is the only other option at ~$200 more but they do have a harder time in making things consistently.  Saint Crispins are nice but its $1500+.  The cheapest bespoke maker I've talked to starts at $800.

Carmina/C&J are way overpriced their mediocre quality besides the fact that they are GY welted.  G&G RTW has been cutting corners since going mass market and AS is just disappointing.  JL and EG are top notch but JL skimps on material as well.  EG is best of the GY welted pack but their customer service is meh.

Don't get me wrong, Meermin LM saves on some materials as well (specifically cost cutting at the JL level, a notch below EG), but guys like Carmina and C&J cuts much much more...

Vass is good.  Saint Crispins is good (aside from the machine stitched soles).

sigh, you're hate of GY welting is getting old and has always been ridiculous.

At the same price or even for $100 more, C&J all day over meermin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads