1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to my AS handgrades. After wearing for 6 months on a rotation basis, the left shoe looks like it was a pair from a different vintage as the right shoe. I've sworn off the brand completely and moved on. My 2 pairs of meermin cost less than that and have no issues like that. I've no doubt it was both a clicker issue and a cost saving exercise.

I've downgraded to "lesser shoes" because for the disappointment is less with them. That said, those with really bad creases on one pair should really watch it, those shoes will age so differently that they are no longer presentable. Someone remarked that I played football with the left shoe on because thats how badly it aged.

1 person likes this.
  2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

If you don't have the cash to play with the big boys, then don't be surprised when the result isn't what you were hoping for. You took a risk by attempting to recreate a JL shoe with JL quality leather for a third of the price. Quality control has never been meermin's strong suit. You took the risk that your 330eu shoes would be similar to 1000eu shoes, and you lost. If this was a lot for you to spend, perhaps a trip to the local Allen Edmonds store would be better for you. You could look at them, try them on, etc and the customer service is second to none.

btw, the obsession over creasing is so lame. Its a pair of shoes, deal with it. Some of my shoes, from cheaper to far more expensive, have some errant creases. Do I sit here and cry about it? No, i polish them up the best I can, wear them, and don't think about it again. Seriously, get a grip.

3. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Nvm

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  4. MRMstl

MRMstl Well-Known Member

First, the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My thoughts....

First pair of Meermin arrived today (Model 102461, navy calf). Ordered on May 20th and arrived today, June 4 (would have arrived last Friday if not for weather). Dinged for $30.80 of customs from UPS. Total bill $360.

After all the hub-bub on here, the first thing I did was fold the vamp backwards and, sure enough, got the aforementioned creases. Other detailing notes: some (quite a few actually) of the punches didn't get fully punched, leaving quite a bit of scrap leather in the holes. See last two photos (one with flash, one w/o). The one with flash overexagerates the problem.

Color is definitely midnight blue, which I am happy with as that's what I wanted. Look black at first glance until the light hits them. Haven't seen them in the sun yet.

Overall look and fit is very nice, and two weeks time order to delivery was better than expected based on what I had been reading. I have a very high instep so there is a little more spread on the vamp than I like, but that is nothing unique to this brand. Hopefully it will reduce a bit as I weare them.

I am already in on the hatchgrain MTO wholecut, and nothing from this first order has discouraged me from that order. However, for the price I am more impressed with Herring Premiere collection. Despite the finishing issues, I will order from them again.

Just my $.02

MRM

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, MRM. I just ordered the same shoe in brown last week. Still have not received the invoice for payment.

6. MRMstl

MRMstl Well-Known Member

you won't receive the invoice until they are ready to ship. They seem to carry very little stock, so almost every order requires some construction. I didn't get my invoice until 8 days after my order. Copied below is my order log from Meermin's site. Arrived from Spain 5 days after shipping, which as I said was originally scheduled for 2 days.

• 21/may/2013 Order introduced into the system.
    • 21/may/2013 Order initiated.
    • 29/may/2013 Order finished.
    • 29/may/2013 Order paid.
    • 30/may/2013 Order send it.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Y'up, I know the drill. This is my second order from Meermin. I had hoped that ordering on the first day the model was available in brown might mean there was inventory stored up, but should have known better based on how Meermin does things.

8. OzzyJones

Austerity group. Is there any more input on changes to the design or are you all happy to go with my tweaks? I want to send it to Pepe tomorrow

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Your shopped picture looks great! Just ask him to pay attention to creasing [​IMG] (seriously though, I'd be disappointed if my boots would crease like crazy).

10. OzzyJones

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I don't think they will due to them using their standard leather and a pretty standard pattern on this. Who knows tho. As for the arseholes stirring the pot; they can go throw shite at themselves while playing with the big boys

11. Monkeyface

Yeah, I have shoes ranging from €150-€400, and none of them show any significant creasing, especially not in odd places. It's not unreasonable to hold Meermin to the same standard as comparable shoemakers. Saying you have to pay €1000 in order to get crease-free shoes is ridiculous.

12. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Some of us, or at least for me, were just looking to have a similarly styled shoes with the same leather sources with a different construction method. They don't have to be JL quality or JL exact clone. What I do care about is having a quality standard of at least Cole Hann Made in India GY welted shoes that anyone can find at Nordstrom Rack for less than $100. Unfortunately my pair fails the initial quality inspection test.

Just pointing out the facts. But some people here seem to cry louder than those who ordered and received substandard shoes.

Those stretch marks on my Museum Calf order are not creases and can't be masked by by polishing, heating, or hammering at home. I am all ears if anyone has a sound remedy that I could experiment.

Meermin is one of the lowest priced shoes that I own, which includes shoes from less than 20% to more than 10x of Meermin MTOs. And this MC MTO is the only pair with the stretch mark problems.

13. Monkeyface

Fair enough, I'm not complaining, as I haven't received my museum calf MTO yet (bought them from laufer before the problems became apparent, so I'm regretting it already). However, my Meermin loafers, as nice as they look from afar, had some issues too (heels splitting). I do not expect the finishing or the details to do be as nice as John Lobbs, but the basic construction should be up to par. If cheaper brands can do it, Meermin should be able to do it too.

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I'm good with it.

I'm eager to get home from my business trip to see if my museum-calf shoes have the "issue".

15. burghler

burghler Well-Known Member

Changes look good...can't wait for the boots to be made up. Thanks again for organizing.

16. MrChris

MrChris Well-Known Member

Gents,
    Some size advise based on your experience would be much appreciated:

I'm interested in Meermins tassel loafer (brown calf 101381, RON last). What size do you think would be suitable? based on my reference info:

My feet are approximately 27,2 cm long and 10,5cm wide.
    For Allen Edmonds Strand and Fifth Avenue I wear 9D (US)
    For Church Buckden F last I wear 8,5
    For Crockett & Jones Lowndes Fitting E last 348 I wear 8,5
    I recently ordered a Herring Broadway loafer size 8,5 fit F-medium, but it was too large.

Thanks'

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Meermin size is -1 from US size except for new Rey/Vil lasts, where its -0.5

18. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

I am 28 cm and 10.8 cm length and width respectively.

8.5 UK on Meermin Hiro last. Very slight heel slip.
    8 UK on Loake's 026 last. Snug.
    8.5 UK on Carmina Rain last. Very slight heel slip.
    8.5 UK on Edward Green 888 last. Very slight heel slip.
    8 UK on JL 8386 last. Snug.

Hope this helps. Just trace out your feet, put in measurements and send to Meermin by email for sizing advice.

19. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

Hmm this is odd. Mine are 28cm and 11cm, pretty much similar to yours. I'm wearing UK10 on my Meermin DBs, Hiro last as well. Also very slight heel slip, although I am buckling the strap nearer to the heel on the tightest hole. I've also always typically worn a EU44/UK10 in most shoes.

1 person likes this.
  20. Swede66

Swede66 Well-Known Member

UPS just knocked on my door. It's me and Carl Perkins from now on. Blue suede wholecuts. No QC failures from what I see, and fairly fast delivery. Order places 23 May.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.