1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

One suggestion: For the hatchgrain wholecut, how about five pairs of eyelets instead of six?

2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

I have no shoe money left. I hate you all :(

1 person likes this.
  3. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

My Museum MTO just arrived at home.
    Might have to leave work early today :-D

1 person likes this.
  4. OzzyJones

I hate you most of all

5. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

I do prefer 5 pairs of eyelets as well, instead of 6. Like these other G&G:s posted here before:
    [​IMG]

I think a chiseled version of Olfe sounds good, if possible. Otherwise Ben is a good option, I actually think it's an underrated last, looks great on pics at least. I do prefer a square toe in this case, which luckily seems to be Terrorsquads plan.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

And that is the point, isn't it? Thinner lasts are supposedly more "elegant", but unless you have thin feet, it means you have to size up to the point where the toes are just too long and break in the wrong place. I've seen a lot of G&G pics on here where that appears to be the case. I think quite often when the advice is "size up for this last", it really should mean "get a last that's wide enough for your feet". The toe shape makes a big difference to how the last looks, but personally I think the New Rey is extremely narrow, and although it looks good in the pics, it's a shame they didn't pick a more "average" shape for their default Linea Maestro last. It's not their fault though - G&G, even JL and EG, also seem to default to a pretty narrow style in the name of elegance.

[​IMG]

In the Meermin price range, check this out from Septieme Largeur. 245 Euros including VAT (about 204 without), in a couple of nice colours. Or alternatively, buy it in undyed "crust" and choose your own patina for an extra 75 Euros (62.5 without VAT). Not hand-welted, but not made in China either. $300 for a completely customised quality balmoral with channeled stitching and a pretty waist, it's a pretty good alternative by all accounts. Again, I fear this last is a bit narrow for me though, and they don't do MTO.

7. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

I have a pair from their LM in the New Rey last and I don't really like it. It's a size UK7, half a size bigger from my other Meermins. It's not a good fit. It's too long. The last just doesn't work for me - UK6.5 would definitely be too tight (judging from how the Olfe in UK6.5 fits me), and although UK7 fits width-wise, it's too long.

I think the Ben last would be nice. I suggested this for the museum MTO but nobody else seemed to want it. [​IMG]

8. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

LM allows for wider widths, don't they?

Ben does look good, and I can only imagine what a modified Ben would look.

9. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

Not from the RTW LM that I know of, no. MTO might.

10. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

I agree something in the Ben/Ama region with a more chiseled toe would look awesome!

11. OzzyJones

MTO allows for modified last but it takes the up charge to 150 iirc

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

(Sorry, posted what Ozzy said at the same time - yes, that's also what I was told; wider fittings mean the higher 150 Euro MTO charge).

13. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

$35.65

14. joshyle

joshyle Active Member

I don't understand why it''s so high over here in Canada (Edmonton, Alberta, specifically). I got a pair of DM and the customs came out to $51. There's no way to fight these charges, eh?

I'll look into a proxy for future purchases, but I should probably hold off on any new shoes for a good while. :satisfied:

15. OzzyJones

They don't like you having nice things!

16. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:lurk:

---

joshyle - those look fantastic!

17. OzzyJones

Museums are on their way!! Woohoo!

18. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

I'm in for the hatchgrain wholecuts on the proviso that they,
    A) Use a chisel toe last,
    B) Have a low/squeezed toe box, and
    C) Make the foot shape symmetrical

Pretty much the photo shown by Terrorsquad to highlight the leather is the perfect execution of hatch grain.

No point using a "loud" skin and dulling it by using a round toe or some brouging.

19. jfclark

jfclark Member

me too

20. Ankor

Ankor Well-Known Member

Have anyone seen Plum Museum IRL? How strong is the purple hue? It looks more as burgundy / dark red than a plum on my screen.