1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Cheers!

2. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

That color is accurate when in daylight, but they do come off as dark brown like on the website when indoors.

3. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Well-Known Member

Dang now I need a pair of those. Cant decide between the suede and the leather! :( did you pay any duties when they got to you?

4. Monkeyface

I had a hard time deciding too! I'm sure the leather ones are very nice as well. I live in the EU, so no duties for me, just the standard 21% VAT.

5. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. I think Im gonna get the suede ones. Do you have any shoes on the Hiro last? Kind of wanted a more sleeker shoe than the Hiro.

6. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

Hey guys, wanting to order the double monks. However, I'm stuck on sizing. I wear a 9.5 in Allen Edmonds. Should I be getting a 8.5 in the Meermin? Also, I noticed the hiro last an E width, I usually wear a D; will I be okay with these?

7. Monkeyface

Nope, this is my first pair of Meermins. I don't know how the Hiro is, but the loafers are pretty sleek.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Mike, "E" width in the UK is "C width" in the US, generally, and I think Meermin use the UK width measures for reference. So you might want to go up to a 43, but someone else might be able to tell you from experience with the same size and last.

9. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

Uh, isn't the "E" width in the UK a "D" for US?

10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Depends on the brand: some makers (C&J, JL, EG and GG) use E as "medium" width, but their lasts tend to be on the narrower side to start with. An Edward Green UK "E" is in my experience a lot narrower than, say, an Allen Edmonds American "D". Perhaps these more upmarket makers equate slim with stylish, and so err on the narrow side.

Others e.g. Church's, Cheaney, Barker, Loake, Grenson etc etc, use "F" as medium and "E" for narrow. Personally I also find Church and Cheaney's "F" on the slim side. Last vary, of course. Oh, and Tricker's shoes come with numbers - 5 is medium, 6 wide, etc. And John Lobb, although they use "E" for medium, then use "EE" instead of "F" for wide. You'll also see FX (Barker for instance), meaning not quite wide, but a generous medium, and EX for a stingy medium. But in general, for all those mid-market brands, "F" is medium and "G" is wide, and unless it's sized American, "E" is definitely narrow. Church's are the only one of those I can think of that even make a narrow "E" fitting as a matter of course.

So it's a bit of a minefield. But I'm pretty sure if Meermin say "E", they mean narrow as in the UK, or medium as in the meaner makers (!), and definitely not wide, as in the US measurements. Anyway, ask them...

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Just got my shipment notification for the museum calf MTO [​IMG]

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

WOO HOO! Deets? Hiro or Olfe? Lasted trees or no?

13. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

+1, mine says they should be here tomorrow.

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

WANT MINE!!

15. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to a flood of pictures :) My classic line snuff suede oxfords finally shipped too. Should be here next tuesday along with a belt

16. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

Received mine too. Just a reminder, those who paid for the lasted shoe trees will be getting it a bit later as its not finished yet; Pepe will send it separately with the shipping cost borne by Meermin

17. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Do we know how much later, for the shoe trees?

Terror, Hatchgrain Chukka and Plum Museum on deck?

18. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Do we know how much later, for the shoe trees?

Terror, Hatchgrain Chukka and Plum Museum on deck?

19. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

no shipping confirmation for me yet :fu:

20. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Well-Known Member

Me too :)