1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I really like these. As long as the leather looks well after 10 or 20 wearings I'd say you have a winnar! The leather looks a little 'tlat' right now but that should improve with wear and polish.

I am currently dipping into the Meermin pool with a couple of pairs in Suede for casual wear.

I don't know much about Meermin - do they make claims as to the tannage of the soles?

2. kwhunter

kwhunter Well-Known Member

that's a very negative stance...

3. kwhunter

kwhunter Well-Known Member

They might use the same source as Carmina.

4. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Well-Known Member

Yeah value is in the eye of the beholder. I could be wrong but technically, isn't more expensive/ require more labor to produce close channel?

Also, the outer soles got a curve that allow even wear from the center of the sole to the edge. I think this requires some detail to attention as well as skillful shoe makers. At $300, quite a value in my eyes. :)

5. lychyrychy

Will report back after 10 to 20 wears.

6. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

Nice pair of brogues! Were they MTM?

7. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Quick! Someone work out for me what the time/cost difference would be if I wanted to get a pair of those balmoral boots Carmina is doing in shell made by Meermin in calf.

kthxbai

8. adsmith4

adsmith4 Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a pair of the double monks from Meermin. If anyone has pictures of theirs in the wild I would appreciate it. I'm trying to decide between the new scotch grain or the suede.

9. lychyrychy

Yes

10. Nathan5709

Nathan5709 New Member

Which last is that? New Rey?

11. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

no its a realistic stance.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

Yes, it is more expensive to do a closed channel, but the real benefit is the look of the sole with no stitching. Further, if the channel covering comes loose (as it has on some peoples) it can be unsightly and require repair.

The curve of the outsole is interesting and I haven't really look at my shoes for that. I wonder if thats still the case when you are actually standing in the shoe.

13. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Close channel sole is more labor intensive and has a construction benefit as well.

Hand welting also has a construction benefit, is again much more labor intensive, and actually require more skilled laborers.

Center sole lump is a mark of a quality shoes observed in Lobb and EG but not at the other benchgrade shoes.

14. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

I have always heard that the closed channel sole is purely cosmetic with no real benefit, with regards to "construction".

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think Nick A. at B. Nelson was the last person to tell me this (right after I asked for closed channel soles as part of a re-sole job).

15. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

You can find related info if you search for pre 2010 threads/posts from Rider

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

If Meermin actually opened a U.S. store and got a handle on its quality control, I suspect there would be no debate on the relative merits of AE versus Meermin. To me, the overseas shipping cost and the lack of quality control are two big strikes against Meermin when comparing them with AE.

17. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

I think the QC issue is overblown. I've ordered four pairs of shoes from Meermin (from both lines) and had zero QC issues. If you do have QC problems, Meermin handles that issue no questions asked.

The big strike against AE, for guys like me, is the fact that I think they are fugly. The quality of AE is not steller, I've owned Del Rays, their Balmorals and PA's and had issues with a few.

Pound for pound Meermin is tough to beat!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

The shell longwings I ordered from Meermin had finishing issues that were significant enough to warrant a return if I had purchased them from AE and had an easy avenue for returning, but minor enough to keep when considering the hassle of returning them, customs on the replacement pair and getting a dialogue going with Meermin on the issue. I have seen many posts with similar sentiments. I too like many of meermin's lasts better than AE, but the quality control and customer service is not on par with AE. I am hopeful that it will be one day as Meermin builds and expands.

19. kashif11

kashif11 New Member

Please also help me to find the high quality Jacket for upcoming winter season. I am also looking for the scarves and qualitative Men/Women warm garments.

20. kashif11

kashif11 New Member