• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medical School

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I finish in two months and then take my Step 2's at the end of the year. I'm definitely getting into the "Jesus Christ, I just want to be done with the hassle and start working" hump even though I know what's still waiting ahead.

I'd still do it all over again because I'm not sure what else I could be doing that would be as challenging or involving, but most of the excitement and mystery is long gone. Now it's just doing it to do it, not for the romantic love of it.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finish in two months and then take my Step 2's at the end of the year. I'm definitely getting into the "Jesus Christ, I just want to be done with the hassle and start working" hump even though I know what's still waiting ahead.
I'd still do it all over again because I'm not sure what else I could be doing that would be as challenging or involving, but most of the excitement and mystery is long gone. Now it's just doing it to do it, not for the romantic love of it.

Take Step 3 immediately if you can. And when in doubt, give steroids.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Good to know. My first year friends are all in the middle of that. Are you still doing peds surgery?

whodini's a med student???????????????????/

What else would I be? I'll have to get Fok to change my handle to "Who, MD" soon.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

***** i'm taking mine march 8th. i'm about to throw up from doing so many questions. I'll say as the first 2 years, I had no issues sitting down and studying all day, everyday. Especially for step 1 where I could pull 12-14 hour days. After 3rd year I can barely sit still for 25 minutes before my mind wanders elsewhere.. Partly I attribute it to the fact that at age 30, physically and mentally my body and mind has just called it quits.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I heard a lot of conflicting things about this, is there any reasoning why someone should take step 3 so soon? I'm off track so I finish in dec, so technically I have 6 months before intern year begins, but I was going to just party and travel.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

***** i'm taking mine march 8th. i'm about to throw up from doing so many questions. I'll say as the first 2 years, I had no issues sitting down and studying all day, everyday. Especially for step 1 where I could pull 12-14 hour days. After 3rd year I can barely sit still for 25 minutes before my mind wanders elsewhere.. Partly I attribute it to the fact that at age 30, physically and mentally my body and mind has just called it quits.

Amen, brother. You can be my study buddy when I get back.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got Step 1 coming up in June, so these 12-14 hour days are approaching quickly. It makes my block exam study schedule seem like a joke(8-10 hour days for a week, then 12-14 hour days the weekend before).

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
poly800rock is a medical student too?????? mind is blown

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I heard a lot of conflicting things about this, is there any reasoning why someone should take step 3 so soon? I'm off track so I finish in dec, so technically I have 6 months before intern year begins, but I was going to just party and travel.

The Step 2 and 3 material is pretty similar, so if you've studied for one you've pretty much studied for both. And Step 3 is a test with a big general medicine focus, so if you're doing anything other than Internal Medicine or Family Medicine for residency your general medical knowledge will diminish rapidly, making Step 3 more challenging.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
med student here too. my medical school class was very type A super competitive people but i found a really nice group of about 20 of us who did really well and just all around great people. i loved medical school and would def do it all over again. i found it much better than college.

for anyone considering it, the hard part is getting in, once you are in, it really is not bad at all. everyone makes it much worse than it actually is.

i took step 1 recently and did really well. im looking at doing rads.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

med student here too. my medical school class was very type A super competitive people but i found a really nice group of about 20 of us who did really well and just all around great people. i loved medical school and would def do it all over again. i found it much better than college.
for anyone considering it, the hard part is getting in, once you are in, it really is not bad at all. everyone makes it much worse than it actually is.
i took step 1 recently and did really well. im looking at doing rads.

I'm shooting for rads as well. Any advice for Step 1? The majority of my studying is going to be QBank based with First Aid and/or MedEssentials as a supplemental text, with Goljan audio lectures and Rapid Review Pathology thrown in for good measure.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you basically have it covered. you'll learn that it's all about the question banks.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm shooting for rads as well. Any advice for Step 1? The majority of my studying is going to be QBank based with First Aid and/or MedEssentials as a supplemental text, with Goljan audio lectures and Rapid Review Pathology thrown in for good measure.

i used Uworld as a qbank. i went over FA and did DIT. i used Pathoma instead of goljan. I had friends who did both and they liked pathoma a lot better so i decided to do only that. check it out, the guy who does it is professor of path at uchicago. i also did 3 nbme's and then took the test. i ended up with a 99 (2 digit score)

if you have any questions, ask them here or PM me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads