1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

meal times/competitive sports

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by matadorpoeta, May 9, 2006.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

for those of you who compete in a competitive sport, how long before your competition do you eat?

if you have a football game at noon, what time do you eat breakfast?

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Well-Known Member

My rugby matches are usually at 1:00. I'll try to have a few pieces of fruit and some peanut butter and crackers sometime in the morning (around 10:00). I usually don't have much of an appetite beforehand though. Afterwards, I'm starving.

3. kever

kever Well-Known Member

I try to eat a high carbohydrate and high fiber meal about 3 hours before, and have a fair amount of fluid. Then one hour before I compete I have some caffeine (coffee without sugar).
    The high fiber carbs digest nice and slowly so you have lots of energy when you compete, the caffeine helps increase performance (most effective when taken 1 hour prior to competition), and limiting simple sugars beforehand will make sure you don't increase your insulin levels and have a major energy surge, then a big crash.
    Thats what the sport nutritionist for my college basketball team told us, and it seems to work well for me.

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

i'd eat an early breakfast, then eat again about 2 hours prior.

5. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

Wrestling is the best: your options usually come down to no sooner than a day before the meet or 10 minutes before your match.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I used to try to plan on having a bowel movement right before going out into the field- so I would do my meal planning backwards from that.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I used to try to plan on having a bowel movement right before going out into the field- so I would do my meal planning backwards from that.
    There isn't much that will shoot your athletic performance straight to hell like the need to defecate.

8. globetrotter

I was actually thinking about when I was in the army - there is nothing like spending the last half of an ambush with a plastic bag full of crap in your web belt. and more importantly, the only thing that can make getting gut shot worse is getting got shot and then crapping yourself.

9. matadorpoeta

makes sense. i thought of that and was wondering if anyone else took that into account.

10. matadorpoeta

I try to eat a high carbohydrate and high fiber meal about 3 hours before, and have a fair amount of fluid. Then one hour before I compete I have some caffeine (coffee without sugar).
    The high fiber carbs digest nice and slowly so you have lots of energy when you compete, the caffeine helps increase performance (most effective when taken 1 hour prior to competition), and limiting simple sugars beforehand will make sure you don't increase your insulin levels and have a major energy surge, then a big crash.
    Thats what the sport nutritionist for my college basketball team told us, and it seems to work well for me.

i know of at least one top tennis player who drinks cans of coke between sets.

11. kever

kever Well-Known Member

i know of at least one top tennis player who drinks cans of coke between sets.

How long is a tennis set? I never play. Maybe the energy surge lasts long enough for the set? the caffeine would help as well.

12. globetrotter

makes sense. i thought of that and was wondering if anyone else took that into account.

I think that the whole bowel movement thing is one of the two elements - that and sugar peaking. I have honestly never been able to do a good calculation on sugar peaking in myself - but maybe somebody else has good expereince with that.