1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Seeing this thread bumped it made me wonder. Is SH going to turn into RSS? That would be an interesting architectural make over!

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Someone has to take my place ... I'm cooling it in my 'old age.' Although Piob ... while I've had some heated disagreements in my day ... I don't ever recall resorted to calling someone 'really fucking stupid.' I'm just too Episcopalian for that approach.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Sup bitches. Lifestyle shot in front of my crib.

[​IMG]

4. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

You're not quite as..."Black" as I thought you'd be

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

While I hesitate to post photos of clients' homes in a forum ... I'll risk posting some shots of a client's 'garage' designed to compliment an existing shingle style house.

The photo below is the rear facade of a carriage house designed to hold 16 vintage European sports cars. The car on the lower left (the project uses two tier parking lifts) is the last Jacuar 150 off the assembly line; its prior owner was Princess Grace. The car above it is the Aston Martin used in The Birds. Behind the closed doors is a working garage with hydraulic lifts.

I'll note that the roof was originally designed to be slate. But sometimes the architect doesn't prevail in all his desires. EDIT: In response to a PM, the building is a garage ... not a garage addition to a house. The house is a separate structure about a two minute walk away.

[​IMG]

Below is the Porte Cochere paved with black basalt. Featured is one of the client's 'less' vintage cars ... an Alfa 8C.

[​IMG]

Next we have the 'auto' library ... as part of a 2000 sq. ft. 'home office' on the second floor. The timbers are from a recently demolished mill in New Hampshire. The opening in the middle of the shelving is a pass-through to a small kitchen. The furnishings are temoprary pieces as we awaited delivery of the final.

[​IMG]

6. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
  7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

8. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

One other project exterior ... a residence in the Bay Area. May be a tad traditional for some of those who lean modern ... but I rather like it ... in my mind it's Newport meets New Orleans. I don't usually have attached garages ... but this site required it given a creek to the right of the photo, a hillside to the rear, and a protected 'meadow' to the left.

[​IMG]

9. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

in los angeles, those are referred to as "persian columns"

10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

But again the architect doesn't always get everthing he wants (after all, it's not really his house). The house was originally designed to be clad with shingles. At the last minute the owner decided on lap siding.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

That is very much my taste. I am not one for Howard Roark-like structures for living in, although some are very cool artisitically.

12. StephenHero

I've been trying to get my parents to switch their siding to shingles, but I'm not having any luck. They look just great after about a year or two.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

That is really nice, RSS.

14. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Well-Known Member

Wow RSS, I would love to see some more of your work. Everything seems perfectly designed and the second one works so well into the landscape.

15. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

The first time I've seen wall paint in a house that reminded me of a photoshop job.

17. StephenHero

18. otc

otc Well-Known Member

That's not a McMansion. That's an actual mansion.

A really fucking ugly mansion.

1 person likes this.