1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If it's one thing that travel has taught me ... American tastes do often tend toward bad ... but Americans doesn't have a corner on the market.

2. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

There's nothing quite like* an architect on architecture.

*as pompous as

P.S. My grandfather worked with FLW and by all accounts Frank was an unbelievable horse's ass.

3. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

4. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

There's nothing quite like* an architect on architecture.

*as pompous as

P.S. My grandfather worked with FLW and by all accounts Frank was an unbelievable horse's ass.

And your point is? [​IMG]

Subsitute [architect] with [cardiologist]; [attorney]; [USPS employee]; [professional athlete]; [university professor]; [artist]; [men's store clerk]; [rock star]; [super model]; [critic]; [maitre d']; [blogger]; [politician]; [groundhog in Pennsylvania in February]; [internet expert]; [etc., etc.]; and what would be the difference?

5. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

6. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

And your point is? [​IMG]

Subsitute [architect] with [cardiologist]; [attorney]; [USPS employee]; [professional athlete]; [university professor]; [artist]; [men's store clerk]; [rock star]; [super model]; [critic]; [maitre d']; [blogger]; [politician]; [groundhog in Pennsylvania in February]; [internet expert]; [etc., etc.]; and what would be the difference?

Obviously everyone has a strong opinion on their field of employment...a cardiologist on malpractice, an an artist on artwork...(many of those examples don't fit this framework...)

My point was that I've found architects to be the MOST bullheaded, and also have the most incredible sense of self-importance...

i.e. that architecture is the most important aspect of our lives, and that The Architect has the all-knowing authority to dictate said architecture and by proxy dictate how others should live.

7. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

Obviously everyone has a strong opinion on their field of employment...a cardiologist on malpractice, an an artist on artwork...(many of those examples don't fit this framework...)

My point was that I've found architects to be the MOST bullheaded, and also have the most incredible sense of self-importance...

i.e. that architecture is the most important aspect of our lives, and that The Architect has the all-knowing authority to dictate said architecture and by proxy dictate how others should live.

Yes, but you posted your position in this thread (which is kind of a dumb thread to begin with), following what I at least considered a fairly innocuous statement. I'm curious about that.

Are you an architect? How many architects do you actually know?

Your statement just seems quite the generalization, at best, and a gross exaggeration at worst. Either way, I don't really see the point.

There are pompous asses in every profession, without a doubt. I wonder if other issues are at play here, though.

8. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

maybe its the photography but those places look far superior to the standard of mcmansion posted earlier in this thread

they just look like upper middle class houses

The places in the first post looked nice (and I don't think it was just because it was a pretty photo). A little big for their plots and what have you but they look nice.

These however, are mcmansiony as shit.

[​IMG]

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

As an architect I mostly agree. There is few things more boring than socializing with archtiects. I avoid it at all costs.

10. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    I've been considering buying a place in my hometown for the last 6 months or so. It would mainly serve to give me more incentive to visit my family...so a "vacation" home of sorts... These homes would both need a skillful architect and builder to accomplish what I want. Are they McMansions? http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...rhope-AL-36532 http://www.pointclearlakefront.com/ Leaning towards the 2nd bc I can do a lot with the acreage and really want to put in a clay tennis court and guest cottage if I have room.

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I have a couple issues with each, but the first is superior architecturally, and its flaws are more correctable. The exterior and landscaping are class, but the interior is soulless. I'd flip the roof to slate or wood, paint the interiors white, and eliminate the kitschy fixtures/drapes. If you wanted to do it right, it would take some serious money for a house that size, which is why the idea of a 6000 square foot home still boggles my mind.

12. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The 15+ acres of the 2nd one closes the deal for me. Distance from neighbors means solitude.

13. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

After several visits, I've decided that the most redeeming thing about Fairhope is that it is not Pensacola [​IMG]

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

After several visits, I've decided that the most redeeming thing about Fairhope is that it is not Pensacola [​IMG]
    Mobile is definitely okay. I assure you.

15. CouttsClient

I have a couple issues with each, but the first is superior architecturally, and its flaws are more correctable. The exterior and landscaping are class, but the interior is soulless. I'd flip the roof to slate or wood, paint the interiors white, and eliminate the kitschy fixtures/drapes. If you wanted to do it right, it would take some serious money for a house that size, which is why the idea of a 6000 square foot home still boggles my mind.

I agree about fixing the first place bc I can actually envision what it would look like when done. I saw it and immediately knew what direction to go.

The second one not so much but I'm very fond of the Point Clear area as I grew up just down the road.

The 15+ acres of the 2nd one closes the deal for me. Distance from neighbors means solitude.

The 15 acres would be grand. The neighbor across the street however has what may be the most beautiful 36 rolling, oak filled acres in the town [​IMG]

RSS, I'm not sure I can afford your undisclosed fee but having had a peek at the place what would you immediately change?

Perhaps I need to start a new thread...

[​IMG]

I only go to P'cola for the airport.

16. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The 15 acres would be grand. The neighbor across the street however has what may be the most beautiful 36 rolling, oak filled acres in the town [​IMG]

RSS, I'm not sure I can afford your undisclosed fee but having had a peek at the place what would you immediately change?

Anything here on SF is free. BTW ... I'm out the rest of this and much of the next week ... working on a project in Bermuda. I'm retired ... but I couldn't say no to that project ... so I'm working as a consultant to my old firm.

17. CouttsClient

Anything here on SF is free. BTW ... I'm out the rest of this and much of the next week ... working on a project in Bermuda. I'm retired ... but I couldn't say no to that project ... so I'm working as a consultant to my old firm.
    [​IMG] Duly noted

18. mordecai

Mobile is definitely okay. I assure you.
    I like Mobile. Haven't been in awhile but I remember great fried fish, great record stores. BTW, CouttsClient, welcome back.

19. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I like Mobile.
    I do too. In Alabama ... it's THE place to live.

And yes, CouttsClient, welcome back ... you are missed when you are away!

20. mordecai

Last visit I was there for a funeral. I got lost and had a hell of a time finding the synagogue. I had no trouble whatsoever finding the Jew church though.