1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

My favorite part is how that Corinthian column on the far left just collides with the garage roof.

2. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Ew. Their house is made of dirt. How do they live with themselves?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that is a pretty fancy hut!!

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I refuse to live in a house that doesn't have a heated three car garage.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

All three of my cars are heated, but I have no garage [​IMG]

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

A little while back I designed a sixteen-car garage -- uhhh ... I mean carriage house -- as a compliment to a primary residence. As I recall, it has heated slabs and multiple hydraulic lifts. The collection of cars contained within includes the last Jaguar 150 off the assembly line.

The upstairs offers a 2300 sf "home office." Of course, should it be required, it can also serve as a "dog house." It's in shingle style as if lifed directly from the arts & cafts period.

But back to the heated slab ... when I say slab ... the slab is topped with 24"x48" pieces of black basalt. I'm told it won't be stained by oil leaking from vintage Jaguars.

6. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

^Do you suppose the builder had a big smile on his face when he deposited his check?

Only when it cleared.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

But back to the heated slab ... when I say slab ... the slab is topped with 24"x48" pieces of black basalt. I'm told it won't be stained by oil leaking from vintage Jaguars.
    Heard a story that during WWII the British government needed to reallocate production of various consumer products to different manufacturers because of all of the industrial production that had been appropriated to manufacture war fighting equipment. They approached Jaguar about perhaps building home appliances (refrigerators, etc.). The engineers at Jaguar spent several weeks looking at the project, but eventually returned to the government and informed them that they would be unable to assist in this particular request because despite an extensive engineering review they were unable to design a refrigerator that leaked oil.

8. celery

celery Well-Known Member

OMG. Where is that Do Not Want pic...?

[​IMG]

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

10. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

A 'European' version: [​IMG] Photographed in close to darkness, hence the bright lights

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

A little while back I designed a sixteen-car garage -- uhhh ... I mean carriage house -- as a compliment to a primary residence. As I recall, it has heated slabs and multiple hydraulic lifts. The collection of cars contained within includes the last Jaguar 150 off the assembly line.

The upstairs offers a 2300 sf "home office." Of course, should it be required, it can also serve as a "dog house." It's in shingle style as if lifed directly from the arts & cafts period.

I am always baffled when I hear things like this purely because I wonder how much it would cost to heat and cool places like this. Their energy bills must be more money than most people's mortgages.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

A 'European' version:

[​IMG]

Photographed in close to darkness, hence the bright lights

I actually kind of like this. Then again, I like McMansion-y type places along the water. Don't ask me why I just do. Seems kind of an indulgent thing to begin with having a home on a river/lake/ might as well cheese it up.

13. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

I actually kind of like this. Then again, I like McMansion-y type places along the water. Don't ask me why I just do. Seems kind of an indulgent thing to begin with having a home on a river/lake/ might as well cheese it up.
    In case you missed it, a picture I made while skating nearby (GF's parents live in one of the houses depicted in the night shot) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't really like the house, but I do like the view or at least part of it. Water holds a strong attraction ove me as well. Edit: the ice was excellent further out.

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Fucking dutch and their skating.

do you ever do that 100 mile skate they have?

15. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Fucking dutch and their skating. do you ever do that 100 mile skate they have?
    If you're talking about the 'Elfstedentocht' (Eleven cities trip), would that I could, but I'm in poor skating condition and there hasn't been a real one since '97 and if there was one I'd never get in. By the way the furthest I've skated is probably about 25 miles.

16. Windycity

Windycity Member

A 'European' version:

[​IMG]

Photographed in close to darkness, hence the bright lights

where is this??

17. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

where is this??

even though it's trying to look like Norway/Sweden, it's in the north of The Netherlands.

18. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

maybe its the photography but those places look far superior to the standard of mcmansion posted earlier in this thread

they just look like upper middle class houses

19. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they look fine. Just on small plots of land since they are waterfront.

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The places in the first post looked nice (and I don't think it was just because it was a pretty photo). A little big for their plots and what have you but they look nice. These however, are mcmansiony as shit.