1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

It's not absurd to use dry wall.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Even more amazing is how the architecture is all uniform. I forget who, either St. Bernard or St. Benedict said a blind monk should be able walk in any abbey and not get lost or hit anything.

I was unaware of this, actually. Bump it up on the awesome scale.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

It's not absurdly deplorable to frame a room in drywall inner facing, but a rational thought process would not lead to its use as a finish to be painted. Museum finishing is far superior and durable.

4. Piobaire

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

It's not absurd to use dry wall.
    Especially with a level 5 finish. That said, I prefer plaster.

6. StephenHero

7. Piobaire

Especially with a level 5 finish. That said, I prefer plaster.

Me too but I would say building your house is just like most things in life, namely you'll have to make some trade offs. I have no idea the costs but I'm sure plaster is multiples of drywall with a coat of plaster over top? I'd rather use the extra cash for some other upgrade, say real paver stones vs. that coated monstrosity plastic looking, faux stone decking I see around so many pools.

8. StephenHero

If you have to use materials made from polyvinyl chloride, rubber, and soy bio-plastics, you can't afford to build a home.

9. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

My humble cabin in the woods. No McMansion but plenty of natural materials and character. I'm afraid it's not terribly modern though. Natural light is the only kind we get as there is no power. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. StephenHero

11. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Il Legno Vita!

Very nice.

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

If you have to use materials made from polyvinyl chloride, rubber, and soy bio-plastics, you can't afford to build a home.

This cracks me up.

13. StephenHero

When Conne becomes President, he's gonna make me the housing czar.

14. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

you can get many more suits if you use polyester instead of wool. not everyone wants to be limited to 5-10 suits at a time. by simply making a small trade off and using polyester instead you can afford several times that number.

15. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Then what is it?

16. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

This is how I feel...

No, sorry, it's not just semantic.

You're being emotional.

17. Piobaire

You're being emotional.

My period is starting so you'll have to forgive me.

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

It's technically not an imitation. It's a small, contained form of fire, which is completely natural. It's an imitation or artificial in the sense that using it doesn't allow the actual time of day to be represented. That would make its use less desirable than the sun, so if a space can be lit by sun light, you would be best to avoid incandescent bulbs all together.
    It's the same goddamn form of light as this. [​IMG]
    I understand your thesis, and at a fundamental level I probably agree with the philosophical end that draws you toward the argument that you're making. We disagree in that I think you're taking the easy way out by srawing somewhat arbirary and poorly-informed distinctions that allow you to live with your beliefs -- I am drawn to that, too, but can't get past the fundamental illogic of doing so; thus I have a somewhat wider net that I am constantly trying to refine in a way that I feel is self-consistent. Fundamentally, the fact that electrons are running through a filament and banging into the atoms of that material, making them vibrate with extra kinetic energy, increase in temperature untill they give off that extra energy as light is really not equatable to a fire, where a rapid oxidation reaction takes place, chemically altering the substances involved, also causing some of them to rise in temperature and emit light (the notion of a blacksmith's heated billet does not remove the notion of fire, as fire was responsible for the energy imparted to the billet). Those two processes are so different that you can't equate them -- unless your standards of equivalence are such that they ARE equatable, then you can't hold concrete, "quartz" countertops, and drywall to be not equivalent to their "natural" counterparts. ~ H

19. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Guys your philosophic penis meauring contest it getting in the way of the big ass houses.

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I'd rather use the extra cash for some other upgrade...
    Understood ... and as an architect I can assure all this this is how it typically works. I'm fortunate to have had very high-end clients ... and as I spent their money ... even they "cried uncle" form time to time.