1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

McDougall diet/lifestyle

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Lizen, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Lizen

Lizen Well-Known Member

Has anyone hear ever heard of the McDougall diet/lifestyle? I am very interested in doing it and maintaining it. I have only heard good things about it. Any opinions?

2. gvibes

gvibes Well-Known Member

They sound like vegetarian nutjobs. "Fat and cholesterol: Primary poisons" Eek.

Also, his diet would be terrible for anyone remotely active. It's almost entirely carbohydrate based. I would also guess that the diet is in fact so low-fat as to impair nutrient absorption and impact neurological function, but I haven't read much on absurdly low-fat diets.

3. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

It sucks. Like the Fuhrman version, it's pretty bland and about as exciting as watching a dog lick his own balls. Nutritionally, I suppose it can be okay, but I'm more Paleo, but I'm also a diabetic. My blood glucose was decent on Fuhrman and McDougall, but I think that's mostly because of the elimination of sugars and grains. My BG levels eating VLC Paleo are pretty outstanding and in the "normal" levels without needing medication. Guess which one I prefer? [​IMG]

4. Hartmann

Hartmann Well-Known Member

I just Googled it. My first thought was "this is literally a bread and water diet". Then I saw that he doesn't allow bread, so I guess it's more like a gruel and water diet.

5. APK

APK Well-Known Member

That's as far as I got. Dietary fat isn't what makes you fat.

6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

well eating a lot of it will get you fat

7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i can't believe a doctor can be so misinformed. well he does preface by saying his training never included nutrition

the least he could do is cite his shit

8. manuelgaby

manuelgaby New Member

The McDougall diet is a low-fat diet intended to help individuals lose weight and enjoy better health. It is even said to help reverse certain health conditions, without requiring medication. The diet was created by an American doctor named Dr. John McDougall. Dr. McDougall asserts that a range of diseases can be prevented if people eat whole, unprocessed foods that have low-fat content.