1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Did you sleep well? Toss and turn? will you be secure from showers?

1 person likes this.
  2. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Frankly, it's just the squeaking banshee noise when I raise the canopy open that bothers me. However, smirk though you may, an umbrella canopy is a very intriguing hybrid of mechanical and biomorphic form, a kind of crystallization of human engineering that produces a very intriguing shape to regard. I'm no fuss about things being perfect, but an unbroken, unrippled canopy and the gentle bend of the ribs is a pretty fantastic piece of geometry to look at. With the ripples emanating out from the center, it's kind of like a sphinx with a broken nose. Which is not so bad, I suppose. We got used to the sphinx, after all.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Eloquently put (!) but if you're f*king wet...

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Kirby at The Hanger Project once mentioned to me that this kind of thing can happen, but I've never heard of it actually happening.

5. sprout2

This is probably one of those things that is statistically insignificant. Possibly it was more widespread in the past, but advanced construction and less fragile materials have all but eradicated the issue.

I've just soaked it in the shower and have left it open again to see if it choose to reform itself. The experiment is underway.

6. sprout2

By the way, I should add that clothes are often ruined not by a lack of diligence or regimen, but by the impossibility of controlling human nature and the instinct towards laziness. If you have nice clothes, you are probably fairly anal about their upkeep. But all it takes is one tired, drunken, or shitty day to short-circuit the control tower and make you blow off taking that wine-stained sweater to the dry cleaners, only to find it balled up three weeks later and with an acid-etched mark on it. So yeah, I was tired and threw the umbrella on the floor and took a nap. Ah, human folly!

1 person likes this.
  7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  8. sprout2

Only one way to find out...

9. dieworkwear

I'm thinking of getting a pair of wingtip bluchers to wear with tweeds and Barbour jackets, but I'm not sure of what model to get. My first inclination is Edward Green's Sandringham, but made without that little tassel perforation. I'm afraid those won't be chunky or thick enough, though. Anyone have thoughts? Would something from Vass be better, or something from Alden?

I think I'd prefer a short wing, if that matters. Though I imagine I could also be convinced otherwise if someone felt strongly about longwings.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  10. sprout2

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Why not get boots?

12. dieworkwear

Any reason?

I already have a bunch of boots, so I thought I'd get something different.

By the way, how are those EG burnt pine Dovers working out? I thought about placing another order again with them next month, and was thinking about getting a pair.

13. unbelragazzo

They're great shoes. I think they'll look better and better over time. The burnt pine starts out kind of "flat" but I think will age very nicely. Dark oak is definitely a more versatile color though. More and more I think shoes should be dark colors almost always. I did the preorder on dark oak boots from skoaktiebolaget. I think I may get either a Halifax or a Nevis. Both are very attractive models IMHO.

14. dieworkwear

I feel the same way about colors. I have a couple of tan and chestnut shoes, but they don't get worn very often.

I thought about getting a pair of Chestnut EG Dovers or loafers, however. In my mind, it seems like an easy way to make a standard navy sport coat + grey pants combination more summer-y, but I'm not sure if this is true in practice. My current EG Chestnuts are a pair of balmoral wingtips, and I've come to feel that balmoral shoes should never be worn with sport coats, which means I more or less never really wear mine.

FWIW, I think of burnt pine as a lot more versatile than chestnut. Although its lighter, it feels like a more subdued color.

15. sprout2

Vass (or anything of the Austro Hungarian school for that matter). They are sturdy, have pedigree, and fit the general spirit of what you intended. Lots of good RTW lasts that have a casual and chunky appearance. Plus comfortable to wear. It's the anti-dress shoe.

And +10million to dark colored shoes. Light shoes go with nothing. I'll scream the next time I see someone wearing a navy suit and light tan shoes (t minus 10 seconds).

16. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I recently saw some posted that seems like just the ticket. Here they are.

Or maybe C&J Swansea?

Also, I agree that darker coloured shoes often are easier to wear (have been planning to experiment on my C&J chestnut Chelsea's with some dark brown shoe cream).

17. dieworkwear

I don't think they work with navy suits, but they do seem to go well with lighter colored suits. Some examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually don't think a darker colored shoe would be a better choice here.

18. dieworkwear

Thanks, Kaplan. I really like those Vass wingtips especially.

19. unbelragazzo

I agree with your quoted examples. Lighter colored shoes can be nice with summer suits. But in the second example they don't even look that light.

Burnt pine is definitely still a versatile color - it's a medium brown, but not at all reddish or yellowish. That's what makes it kind of flat at first, but I think as patina develops it will be a very nice shoe.

20. dieworkwear

I could be wrong, but I actually think they're the same shoe. Both EGs, and described as Chestnut on Will's blog. Color in the photo could just be wrong.

I'm thinking about getting a couple more light colored cotton and linen suits, so figured maybe I could use a pair of EG Chestnuts to go along with them.

1 person likes this.