1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Sorry, just littering this thread with various photos I find of corduroy coats. This one is of Gad Lerner, which I stole from Milstil. He writes:

[​IMG]

I think a few people mentioned that flapped patch might be unflattering, but in my mind - that kind of frumpy, ugly, unflattering look is kind of strangely appealing. Just not sure I can get that frumpy look through a coat from Steed. It might look very clean, but oddly unflattering at the hips with three layers of English corduroy.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  3. dieworkwear

Also, not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but this is a nice directory of UK manufacturers I recently found. Not complete, but useful for people starting new brands and want stuff made in the UK, or people just researching things for fun.

Let's Make It Here.

http://www.letsmakeithere.org/

2 people like this.
  4. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

NORMCORE

1 person likes this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Is reno going to have the same pernicious effect on cordovan? I use it a few times a year on calf, but maybe 6-7 times a year on cordovan.

6. dieworkwear

[​IMG]

Gad Lerner says: "WTF?"

7. dieworkwear

Also, to steal a joke from a friend of mine: Gnomecore

[​IMG]

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I opened my jar of Reno for the first time yesterday and took a small smudge for both toe box of my shoes. I actually finally mustered the courage to use it in hopes of covering a nick on the right toe of my shoe. It worked, completely darkened the blemish. As I was brushing it though you can still see the nick if examined very closely. Under direct light the toes still have a shine to distract viewers. Whatever excess Reno that was on the cloth I just ran it across the shoes toe box and vamp. I only dipped into the jar once FWIW. Hard to hear now what damage Reno can cause with excessive use. I guess I'll keep it on the d/l.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I would think that the coat being RTW would be an essential part of the professorial equation. I don't know why you'd pay a bespoke premium for that look.

1 person likes this.
  10. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Yah. "Frumpy" ain't an exclusively high-end commodity.

11. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

You can find that kind of corduroy jacket at just about any goodwill / thrift store, probably for less than $20.

12. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I don't think one needs to go that far, but even so, it seems like getting something bespoke so it's perfectly frumpy is pushing artful sprezzatura to the breaking point.

But hey. I have an excess of frumpiness in my wardrobe.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Where would linen and linen-wool blends stand on the appropriate-for-bespoke scale?

Wrinkled =/= frumpy.

14. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

On a related note, that suit reminds me of the great Brooks Brothers Loro Piana corduroy suit sale of 2009.

15. dieworkwear

Probably a good point. Of the few Steed jackets I've bought, I can't imagine any of them eventually looking like that. But that is the kind of frumpy look I like when I think of whether to get flapped patches or not.

16. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Mine, hip pockets also flapped and buttoned. I wear it a lot, as an 'outside jacket', IYKWIM.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Keep it away from the vamp and you'll be fine, imo.

18. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

First of all, I'm not an arbiter of such things in any way, shape, or form.

Of course wrinkled doesn't mean frumpy. There's not a damn thing wrong with a bespoke linen suit. There's nothing wrong with a bespoke corduroy suit, either. But if your stated goal is that you want something frumpy, or like what Gad Lerner has on up there, then a degree of indifferent fit is vital. Steed can do something drapey, and without a front dart, but I still think their results would be much slicker than that.

19. dieworkwear

I don't mean that I'm having Steed make me a suit like that. I'm just saying it's what comes to mind when I debate whether or not to get flapped patches. Agree though, it's not the clearest of thinking.

20. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Oh, word. I misunderstood. I don't have that association for flapped patch pockets, really.

This coat has flapped patch pockets, in hefty cloth, and it's not too thick/clunky/frumpy.

[​IMG]