1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

What's the deal with the men's turtleneck? I have always liked a proper cashmere (non cable knit) turtleneck, but it is incredibly hard to find them. Generally these days they are only for women, or they are ugly mock necks made out of cotton. I kind of like the idea of the black turtleneck for the fall for a very Velvet Underground look. Any thoughts?

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

William Lockie does nice cashmere turtlenecks, available via their Heather Wallace retail website. I bought one in the Linen colourway last year and have been very happy with it. Very reasonably priced for a nice cashmere jumper too. IIRC, I got a 40, which fits kind of like a slim 37 or traditional 36 (their sizes refer to the actual chest circumference of the jumper, not that of the wearer, I believe). The website currently suggests they only run from 42" upwards, but I think it said that last year too and when I contacted them, they had a 40 available, so...

They feel soft but durable, having some heft to them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Do you mean the proper roll neck kind? (A google image search for turtleneck shows both roll necks and the mock, no roll type.) If so, Smedley probably has what you're looking for.

20 years ago I sometimes wore that type of finely knitted roll neck (charcoal w/ a navy SC - Pringle made a good one then), but nowadays I prefer a chunkier knit (I have a navy Submariner from Northsea clothing). It's probably more casual than what you have in mind, though.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I think a lot of guys look really good in a roll neck and sport coat. A happy medium between winter vacation Italian magnate and James Bond villain. However, I think you need to have the right body type to make it work. I've noticed taller, skinnier guys are best suited for this, with a jacket of considerable drape and a tighter-fitting sweater (a longer neck helps, too, obviously). Larger (or even more athletic-build) guys seem to always look like they are being stuffed into a sausage casing. Just something to consider.

Per selection, I owned a Loro Piana navy cashmere roll neck that was very nice. Unfortunately I usually "run hot," so a two-ply cashmere sweater that comes up to the neck was a recipe for disaster for me. I sold it to someone here. However, I think they are really nice and would endorse LP. I see that Brooks has an offering (not sure of fit, but I assume that the cashmere is Todd & Duncan, so likely decent). Shop The Finest also has some.

5. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

I've got a black/dark charcoal BB cashmere turtle neck sweater in the back of my closet somewhere. I've been thinking of taking it out when it gets cold. It's not super fitted if I remember, but is fine under a jacket. I think I'm in the market for a chunkier turtle neck. Maybe Irish knit fisherman's. My problem with heavy sweaters in general is that they are way too hot in most in-doors places and I don't really spend a lot of time hanging about outside in the winter. Maybe good for skiing.

6. patrickBOOTH

I'm kind of worried about the physique thing. I have love handles the size of basketballs left over from when I was a fatty. I might look bad without a jacket...

7. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I can't believe this turtleneck conversation has gone on this long without an Archer reference.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

I saw an episode of Archer for the first time recently. It is kind of amazing. Where the fuck have I been?

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Worth rewatching too! One of the greatest things to be made in recent years :slayer:

10. Bubble water

Bubble water Active Member

Anyone here know some websites where I can cop affordable bracelets like people were wearing at the pitti?

Examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

SpooPoker's wife.

1 person likes this.
  12. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I picked up an extremely soft wool one on sale BBBF. Very soft and non-itchy wool and nice and chunky. I have only worn it a couple of times such as out to diner with the wife during winter. Would not keep it on for more than a few hours as I tend to build up heat and never wear sweaters for more than a few hours. My jacket usually comes off in the afternoon.

13. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

My favourite (chunky, but not too hot) washed merino turtle neck. I don't know if they still make them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

I walked into a Brooks Brothers at lunchtime today. They don't have turtlenecks in yet.

15. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Lockie sweaters are quite nice FWIW. I have a shawl neck sweater from them (lambswool) that I love.

16. aravenel

I wouldn't buy BB anyways--I have a sweater from them that, while good looking, has pilled a fair amount.

This was "mainline" though, some of their higher end ones might be nicer.

17. patrickBOOTH

I hate shawl collar sweaters for some reason. I mean, I generally hate all sweaters to be honest. Teh black turtle I kinda like. I only want one because there is an event where I need my arms to be able to do windmills so a jacket wouldn't be the best option.

18. aravenel

Oh man, I love sweaters, especially shawl necks. I wear that Lockie sweater just about every weekend day during the winter.

19. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

You need this one, Patrick:

[​IMG]

Will windmill great. Will make you a great French philosopher at the same time.

20. patrickBOOTH