1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

A navy suit jacket.

:rimshot:

3 people like this.
  2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Honestly not totally opposed to navy odd pants. They can look good in certain situations (however rare). That said, I'd stick to brown loafers or a more casual brown lace-up like a derby if I was wearing them as separates.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Navy odd trousers with black shoes are going to be tough to pair. If you can get a decent amount of contrast in color or texture, a grey odd jacket (which seems to be disliked almost as much as navy odd trousers) might possible work. A cream colored linen jacket in the summer also may work.

:)

4. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

Amazing project, which reflects the greatest value of his blog for me: a more adventurous point of view. For example, I'm certainly going to talk about this with my tailor and, perhaps, a nice garment will come up from the inspiration got from Crompton's writings.
    The work on the seams is really great and gives away the bespoke provenance through its preciseness. The only point where I disagree with the intended jacket design is about the hip pockets, the lack of, a leather jacket without (hip) pockets is just not right for me. The sketched pockets were nice and, in my opinion, they would fit within the simplistic design.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  6. archibaldleach

Interesting, though I find the whole rolling up French cuffs thing to be a bit strange. Especially for something like a linen shirt which is worn more casually, I think button cuffs would be a better choice. And this is coming from someone who generally prefers French cuffs on everything.

1 person likes this.
  7. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

It's so hard looking for that one great sport coat / odd jacket especially being your first

Not sure whether to go 100% cotton, wool, linen (I live in CA so the weather is good), or a blend (I thin I prefer a cotton/wool blend). I like the cotton idea but dislike flat texture / canvas like fabric. Prefer similar to jersey like hand without the poly blend. Linen may not hold its shape well. Wool is nice but not sure if I can bare wearing it all day at my desk. I am also doing everything to avoid navy for some reason. I tend to wear gray trousers a lot and want to avoid the mall cop look.

Tired of the boring shirt with no tie combo everyday. I just want to spruce it up. Not sure whether I should pick up one nice jacket, or several. Cost vs. versatility.

Ughhhh

edit: venting :foo:

What I find pleasing to the eye, a sample swatch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I still have never seen a mall cop wearing grey trousers and a navy jacket. But you don't have to get navy if you don't want one.

Following the recent discussion in the whnay thread....I'd try to get something with some texture. If I were you, I'd just get linen or wool/linen blend and embrace any wrinkliness. Sportcoats are casual garments. They don't need to look freshly pressed all the time.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I have a blue linen jacket with lines sleeves I am hoping the tailor tomorrow can salvage

With the color navy I also prefer something lighter/brighter in blue vs. navy ..

I am trying to take pointers from jrd's tumblr / thread :eek:

10. unbelragazzo

Brighter blues work well on sunny days. Which you've got plenty of in California. But when they definitively leave navy and get to blue, I think they're better with off-white trousers than greys.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it being just "that one" jacket; you'll find that you want a second as soon as you get the first.

An obvious starting point, given the needs/context you describe would be a (potentially subtly-patterned) navy linen blend. Would cover almost any circumstance you describe. If you find a a blend with some silk or light wool, then it would both feel nice and not crease too much.

Alternatively, anything in a sand/brown colour would look good. But yeah, you'll probably end up getting a second one down the line anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it too much provided it's reasonably versatile.

12. archibaldleach

A light grey trouser (vs. the more common medium grey) can work too IMO depending on what shade of blue jacket one's looking at.

13. unbelragazzo

Can work, yes, but if somebody tells me they have a closet full of grey trousers and they want to have a blue (not navy) blazer as one of their two or so sportcoats, I'd tell them to consider a darker blue or buying some off-white trouser.

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I understand if you're going for a more casual texture, and thus led to cotton or linen. However, I'm not sure why you would be opposed to wool from a breath-ability standpoint. Open-weave wools oftentimes wear much cooler than cottons and linens, as cottons and linens often necessitate a heavier weight in jacketing. Even if you go completely unlined and unstructured, I still think an open-weave wool or wool-blend will be your best bet.

I really enjoy wool/silk blends. Especially if you can find one made from a raw silk, I think you'll be very pleased with the texture and surface interest of the fabric.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

I have learned a valuable lesson: Despite a lifelong curiosity, never get the airport shoe shine.

16. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

:embar:

Your first time

With the electric hand mixer?

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

When I was a young banking associate, I was traveling with one of my senior managing directors. When we landed in St Louis he told me "always get a shoe shine from these guys there" and so we did. He was right, and everytime I landed at STL after that day, I always made sure to stop by the shine guys. They take their time, are very chatty and do a superb job on the shine.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I have never to this day gotten a shine at a shine stand.

1 person likes this.
  19. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Me neither.

I once worked on a trading floor that still had a shoeshine guy come once a week. Almost took the plunge, but images of them glooping on mounds of shitty, off-color polish ran through my mind and I declined.

20. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Glad to hear at least one positive airport shoeshine story. My last time was years ago at the Toronto airport and the person literally used a modified electric hand mixer that had a brush attached instead of the (more typical and expected) beaters. He got polish on my socks and pants and the shoes looked about he same as when he started. I have only ever seen the mixers used by shoe shine stands in airports in Canada and the US. Maybe they go to the same school?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013