1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

That tie looks great. I could see it with a white shirt and most shades of grey suits. And even though some may be opposed to the idea, probably with a white shirt and a navy suit too.

1 person likes this.
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I've worn it with tan cotton suits and a white shirt, and brown linen jackets, blue shirt, and khaki chinos. I think the latter was more successful than the first, but TBH, this tie doesn't get worn that often. I do consider it a summer tie though, so it gets worn with summer ensembles.

1 person likes this.
  3. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

Derek, what about your L&C briefcase? You just gonna carry them on separate days? That's cool... (I'm jealous)

4. dieworkwear

Yea, they seemed like different enough briefcases. Maybe one will strike my mood one day, but another will strike me another. This is the one I was going to get

[​IMG]

And this is the L&C that I have

[​IMG]

I really like this Glenroyal design, but it's a bit too thick for my needs.
    [​IMG]

5. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Those look great, Derek. Am I crazy for preferring a briefcase with no flap? Mine just zips at the mouth. It does reduce the carrying capacity I'm sure, but I find it way more convenient. No messing with straps or locking mechanisms.

7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I went from a crappy nylon zip-top briefcase to a Saddleback Leather thin briefcase, which has a flap/buckle closuer. While I prefer the looks of the Saddleback, the zip-top was way more convenient and easy to use. I could zip-unzip it with one hand while walking. It is very tough to do this with the flap-top because you can't hold the briefcase properly with the handle while the buckle is unfasted, and you really can't fasten the buckle one-handed.

8. unbelragazzo

^Exactly. My current one is eather but zip top. I really have no desire to ever use my flap snap closure one.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Tan cotton or caramel linen suit + white shirt was exactly what I thought of on seeing the tie. Fairly slim fit, casual-looking, esp, if worn with loafers or even a relatively sober-coloured pair of espadrilles. In fact, I like the concept enough, that it kind of makes me want to get such a suit. I was thinking that my next summery suit should be a navy linen, but now... lol... :)

10. dieworkwear

I was thinking about getting this, until I saw how much the zipper shows. I like it as a casual bag still, but there's something unappealing about how the zipper shows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still, aren't you a professor now? I feel like a nice flap over briefcase would look better for what you do.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. unbelragazzo

The final Glenroyal one in your pics is the one I have. It's true the zipper at the top is kind of younger and less professional but given the rest of how I dress, I don't think I'm in much danger of looking too young or unprofessional.

The locking/latch ones look more IB/lawyer to me. The straps and buckles thing does look more professorial, it just seems like a huge PitA to deal with every time you're going somewhere or need to grab something out or your bag while on the metro or something.

12. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I have this Tustings zip top bag. It's perfect for what it is but it's a bit small if you need to carry a laptop and charger.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Does Mabitex fit TTS or should I size up to a 33 to accommodate 33-34 waist? I am thinking since they are more like dress trousers, a 32 should be vanity size so can accommodate up to 33"

sale on GILT with 30% off...want to give it a try but no returns.

YOOX order should be in today and ordered 3 trousers.:wow:

14. dieworkwear

FME, the cuts are all over the place. There's no real way of telling what the cut will be, but generally, you should just go TTS and hope for the best.

I personally wouldn't recommend buying them at no returns, but you can roll the dice.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

So, my trousers came in from Yoox

All made in Italy, all very "raw." Hems are unfinished, some seams come undone at the hem, threads here and there.
    SARTELLI sent me a pair in Super 120 and 100, which I thought was nifty ... was going to keep the 120 but decided to just return.

Going to try go with the entry level stuff like Incotex or Mabitex if I find any on eBay. Sad / relieved.

16. dieworkwear

Anyone in New York City? If so, can someone recommend a hotel that's on par with Four Seasons but is a bit more affordable? I'm asking for a friend.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Tell your friend, good luck...

18. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

+1. Even the normal Marriotts are $400+ a night. Kinda scared to know what the Four Seasons here costs...

19. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has been liking the new hip hotels like the Nomad Hotel.

20. dieworkwear

OK OK, how about just really nice hotel recommendations?

Many thanks, I'll pass that along.