1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever cared whether an SA is well dressed or not. Some guys are and some guys aren't, but that's never affected my ability to get good service from them.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I've never based a purchase on whether a SA has been well-dressed or not. But if you dress like Steve Harvey's stunt double and offer advice as canon, you're not gonna get my business. I find that type of scenario is much more typical of large department stores, and therefore something I encounter less and less.

3. dieworkwear

I assume the Steve Harvey reference is an exaggeration, but seriously -- why would you care if an SA is dressed according to your tastes? If you're already in the store and considering a purchase, presumably you think the item is good, so what does it matter how the other person is dressed?

4. bourbonbasted

I mean it more in the context of them giving advice and how that advice is delivered. If I walk into Saks and know exactly what I want, the dude working there could be in a clown outfit and I'd still buy. But I have had multiple experiences where an SA has gone out of his way to push his personal tastes as the way things should be done -- whether that manifests as suggesting a jacket two sizes too big or advocating a Merlot shirt and black tie.

I don't mean to say someone dressed to my taste is better or worse at his job, I simply mean to say that if I'm looking for advice it pays to consult someone who gets where I'm coming from.

5. dieworkwear

I don't think SAs are trying to push their taste so much as they're trying to make a sale. They're all working off of commission -- so whether something fits their taste or your taste, they're going to say it looks great so they can earn their 10% of whatever.

There's one really nicely dressed guy at Wilkes Bashford (used to work at De Corato). I've bought things from him and he acted the same as any SA I've purchased things from. He's not getting paid to make me look good; he's getting paid to push products.

6. bourbonbasted

I certainly understand that and have mitigated a lot of the "get it out the door" mentality by shopping places where SAs aren't on commission. However, if I walk in and one SA is dressed more similarly to how I am/like to dress vs. one who does not, I'll rely on the former to suggest a tie or shirt or whatever. Not to say I follow them blindly, nor is it to say their advice will be rooted in what the really like, but all else being equal I'll go with the guy who seems to share my proclivities (for better or worse). Again, this all assumes I'm relying on them for some level of guidance or insight.

I wouldn't buy Rick Owens from a guy in Vineyard Vines.

7. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

8. dieworkwear

[​IMG]

Area Man Under Impression He Got Dressed Up

PROVIDENCE, RI—Explaining that the dinner he would soon be having at an upscale restaurant required him to wear something a bit special, local man Kyle Finnegan was under the impression that he had just gotten dressed up, sources said Thursday. “It’s a really nice place, so I figured I should put on my best,” said Finnegan, who reportedly seemed to think he had made clothing and grooming choices that will be regarded as appropriate for the semi-formal occasion. “I don’t have to wear a tuxedo or anything, but at a place like this, you can’t just show up in the usual.” At press time, Finnegan appeared to believe that he may have even overdressed.

2 people like this.
  9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Shirt looks like a good fit.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

Is this from The Onion perchance?

11. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

About half of the Pitti feed of pics shows guys with a narrow cut white trouser. In the last year, I can't seem to have found any RTW. Any suggestions?

12. dieworkwear

13. dieworkwear

whoops, wrong thread.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  14. Murlsquirl

Buttoning only the bottom button is officially a thing. Mother of God.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  15. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Sadly, yes. Looks like a few people at Pitti are doing it, even though it makes their jackets look silly.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I don't know if they still have them, but I picked up a pair of white, cotton trousers from Land's End a few years back.

They're made out of a nice, thick cotton which is entirely opaque (unlike some other white trousers that I've seen).

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

nm

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Yes. Stop looking at Pitti feeds.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

What does this mean? :confused:

20. Murlsquirl