1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

yeah, that'd be embarrassing, but that's not the issue. not sure if they're looking for the whole circumference, so i tried doubling the measurements, but it spit out a 48S US.

regardless, just trying to get an idea of if suit supply generally fits TTS; anybody know if that's the case?

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I've only tried on a couple of jackets, but yes, they fit TTS.

Honestly, you're probably best off calling their store and getting sizing advice, rather than rely on the answers you might get here.

FWIW, I think they have pretty easy (and free?) returns. So you could always buy two sizes.

3. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

thanks for the help! will do.

4. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

I've tried on a few of their sport coats and to reiterate dieworkwear, they do fit true to size.

1 person likes this.
  5. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I'm just stick with 100% wool and ordering from Banana Republic...no pants have fit me well so far =\

6. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that I'd pm'd despos and atailor, and both said pleated pants can be tapered all the way up to the crotch on the inside and the pocket on the outside.

So I'd ask that mtm outfit if they would slim those pants, GT. If you ask quickly and say the weren't as slim as you'd hoped and you never wear them, hopefully they won't charge you.

1 person likes this.
  7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

So I'm in the market for a new utilitarian crew-neck sweater. I need something that I can wear to the office and for layering on the weekends. My usual starting point for such endeavors is William Lockie. They have a geelong option (for pretty cheap) that has me intrigued. However, I'm not 100% what the difference is between plain 'ole Merino wool and geelong (other than £15).

Anyone have any insight into geelong? I've handled it in the past and remember a nice hand, but didn't really pay that much attention. A forvm search didn't reveal much and Google isn't much better.

Also open to suggestions for a navy crewneck that can be worn both business casual and casual.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. dieworkwear

Geelong wool just means it came from Geelong sheep. Just like Merino wool comes from Merino sheep. Both tend to be raised and shorn in Austalia.

FME, Geelong tends to be scratchier.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I assumed it was something simple like that. Thanks for the clarification.

10. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I bought a Howard Yount one in lambswool a couple years ago and really like it.

11. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

@in sitches / Mods generally

I'd like to respectfully demand request the custom title of postdoc in recognition of my service to The Grad Lounge.

And it's also kinda funny since I didn't graduate college.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

13. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

If you want the honorary degree, you'll have to give a big speech.

Wow. Just looked at that thread for the first time in a few days. 154 new posts!

14. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

A Scandinavian thesis defense, white tie and tails required. Who wants to be the opponent?

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I think @GBR should do it ^

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

What do you guys look for now (or request if ordered) in the cut, fit or other details to make your pants a bit more current or updated?

I just ordered some pants and went with a 8" wide cuff opening, 3-4 years ago that would have been 8.5" and 6 years ago probably 9". I have some that are 7.75" but that is a bit extreme for my build.

I'm also getting single pleats (probably the first pair of pleats since 2003 :) ) And still holding at 2" cuffs.

I also like the look of an extended waistband and belt loops. Side tabs look nice but for me only for a suit.

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I went from 7.5" to now 8" but may go to 8.25" so that it falls over my shoe better.

I decided to stop getting cuffs since I cannot locate an alteration tailor in the Bay Area who can properly make a slanted cuff. Slanted hem without cuff is doable but lately I've been running into bit of headwind when asking for a slant. Isn't this normal practice?

PSG, if you don't mind sharing, where in the Bay Area have you had some of the better results?

I have a dozen or more things waiting to be altered and the lot keeps getting bigger lol.

18. dieworkwear

I've moved from the 1937 issues of Apparel Arts to 1938.

2 people like this.
  19. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

Andreas Gorgas in the city will do slanted cuffs if you request it.

3 people like this.
  20. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

I have run into this before as well. Cannot fathom why some tailors hesitate; I've done it myself, and I don't find it any harder than doing unslanted cuffs.

@pocketsquareguy , I opt for similar things on my trousers.

Casual trousers: flat front and uncuffed (considering single pleats w/ cuffs for wool in future), belt loops, extended waistband, 8"-8.25" opening.

Suit trousers: single pleats w/ 1.75" cuffs, side tabs and brace buttons, extended waistband, 8.5" opening.