1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Maximum distance from last button to sleeve opening on a jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Oct 6, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

What do you think is the maximum distance acceptable from the end of the sleeve to the first button on a sport coat? I have a jacket on which the sleeves are about 1/4" or 3/8" too short, but the buttonholes have been cut. Unfortunately, there are four working buttonholes, otherwise I'd just have the sleeve let down and another added.

If it matters, I'm 5' 10" and my proper sleeve length is around 25.25", depending on the jacket of course.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

1 1/4" from the center of the button to the edge of the sleeve is traditional. Above 1 1/2" it starts to look noticably "off" in my opinion.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

My policy is not to think about it.

I think it looks good anywhere from 1"-1.5" although a little more doesn't set me off too much.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll have to check the jacket, but I think it won't be much, if at all beyond 1.5" Much better than too much cuff, I imagine.

5. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I like 1.5" from center of the distal button to the edge of the sleeve. I have some suits that are 1.25" and that looks a bit close to me.

I've seen some nice suits (a friend's MTM Zegnas spring to mind) done with 1.75" from button center to sleeve edge, and I think that is pushing (if not over) the outer limits of acceptability.

6. Roger

Roger Well-Known Member

Jamison, I had this exact problem a while back and got the same advice you have. I ended up right at about 1 3/4". My jacket has 4 working buttons too. I had thought about adding a 5th to reduce this distance, and might actually do this at some point, as 5 buttons may look less "off" than too much jacket cuff below the distal button.

7. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

What about the opposite: what's the least acceptable spacing between the lowest button and the cuff?

8. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

From the end of the button to the end of the sleeve - 1/2" is the limit to me. I actually have mine done with a 3/4" space between the end of the button and the end of the sleeve (1" if measured from the shank.) I think they look better with less space personally, a la Oxxford.

9. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

1.25" to 1.75" bottom edge to center of button sounds good to me.

10. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

since the sleeve bottom is normally slanted. when the sleeve is lengthened. the front of the sleeve can be dropped another 1/4". thats just a little less slant.