1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Matching shoes and tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Jul 11, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

Does any ever, I don't know, match their shoes and tie, even subtly?

For example, today, I wore a cream shirt with a subtle red check pattern, red tie, and chestnut shoes. (Manila, no jackets)

2. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

3. Tibo

Tibo Well-Known Member

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

This is a weird idea. I don't own any black tie anyway...

!luc

5. Strokeman

Strokeman Active Member

Do you antique your ties as well? [​IMG]

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

jumping on the "hells no" bandwagon

7. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

Only with my tux.

8. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great outfit odoreater! maybe a little too matchy matchy? [​IMG]

10. odoreater

great outfit odoreater! maybe a little too matchy matchy? [​IMG]

That's how I roll baby. [​IMG]

11. stach

stach Well-Known Member

Remember skinny leather ties from the early '80's?

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

Remember skinny leather ties from the early '80's?
    Yeah, I had one. That was my first tie. But I was like... 12. !luc

13. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

That's how I roll baby. [​IMG]

Nice bit of sleeve you are showing there [​IMG]

Seriously, I have been lookng all over for some paisley shoes to match one of my ties.

14. odoreater

Nice bit of sleeve you are showing there [​IMG]

Seriously, I have been lookng all over for some paisley shoes to match one of my ties.

That outfit right there is Thom Browne bespoke - don't mess around. [​IMG]

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

It's an idea for Father's Day next year to prepackage a matching tie with shoes.

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Not always. However, my tie choice can influence my choice of shoes.

I've chosen cordovan shoes over brown or black shoes because I was wearing reddish or purplish ties.
    If I am wearing a somewhat monochrome tie, I will lean toward black shoes.
    For ties with earth tones, I lean toward brown shoes.

17. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

It's an idea for Father's Day next year to prepackage a matching tie with shoes.

As long as the shoes are EG's, I'm all for it. Quite an upgrade over the usual tie for Father's Day.

I will frequently let my shirt influence my shoe color in the same way Kai describes: I'm more likely to wear cordovan shoes and belt when I'm wearing a pink shirt or a shirt containing some red.

I think the topic of this thread is interesting. Since some men coordinate their socks with colors worn above the waist, the idea is not so outlandish as some have implied. I have several ties with brown stripes of differing shades and it might be a very nice look to coordinate the stripe color with the shoes or especially the belt (since the belt is closer to the tie).

18. odoreater

As long as the shoes are EG's, I'm all for it. Quite an upgrade over the usual tie for Father's Day.

I will frequently let my shirt influence my shoe color in the same way Kai describes: I'm more likely to wear cordovan shoes and belt when I'm wearing a pink shirt or a shirt containing some red.

I think the topic of this thread is interesting. Since some men coordinate their socks with colors worn above the waist, the idea is not so outlandish as some have implied. I have several ties with brown stripes of differing shades and it might be a very nice look to coordinate the stripe color with the shoes or especially the belt (since the belt is closer to the tie).

I wouldn't say that the idea is outlandish (I was just being facetious when I posted Ronald) - it might be possible with a tie here and there that has a little brown or black or dark red in it or whatever. But the vast majority of times it will be impossible to coordinate your tie with your shoes unless you severely limit your tie options.

19. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Well-Known Member

That's a new one. I've heard of watches and cufflinks, watchbands and shoes, ties and pocket squares, and pocket squares and shirts, but never shoes and ties.

Given that I think black and brown ties aren't really flattering on most outfits, save for formal events, there shouldn't be any matching between the two.

Not like you can polish a tie to have the same luster anway.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

That's a new one. I've heard of watches and cufflinks, watchbands and shoes, ties and pocket squares, and pocket squares and shirts, but never shoes and ties.

Given that I think black and brown ties aren't really flattering on most outfits, save for formal events, there shouldn't be any matching between the two.

Not like you can polish a tie to have the same luster anway.

Well, leaving aside the issue of whether a predominantly brown or blue tie can look good (I have ties in both colors that I really like, although my taste is hardly the benchmark anyone should use), I don't know that "matching" means that the dominant colors have to be the same. In other words, a tie could contain black or brown (or burgundy, as the case may be) as a secondary color. Indeed, imho more subtle color matching of this sort (whether it is between tie and shirt, or shoe and pocket square, or whatever) often is much more appealing and elegant than the matching of base colors. The idea is to have common themes that pull the outfit together, not to be monochromatic.