1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Matching a tie with this shirt...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dietcookie, Jan 10, 2005.

1. dietcookie

dietcookie Well-Known Member

What kind of tie would go along good with this shirt here? I bought it a while ago and have only worn it without a tie. The pattern and color is so bold, I was reluctant to go out and find a tie for it. I've been trying to keep an eye out for a tie that would go along but have never found anything anyways. So I have to consult all you fashion savvy guys here... [​IMG]

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

the first color that came to mind was silver. i suppose the easy answer would be blue, to pick up on the stripes. good luck.

3. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

for some reason I like this one, although Carlo Franco has a couple that would compliment in more and less exciting ways: [​IMG]

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I'd personally go with something bright like a striped tie with pink or blue, it's not like that shirt is going to be really subtle anyways. J Crew makes a repp tie that may work for that purpose.

5. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Navy would be good - loud tie/loud shirt is very hard to carry off... Not that I have anything against either [​IMG]

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

solid dark blue or gray.

7. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

A solid colored grenadine to give textural interest, but act as a counter to the bold stripes. I think it's a great shirt.

8. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

Great shirt -- this is why I'm now looking more for T&A on EBay than Borrelli. I'd pair it with solid navy or navy with white dots. A royal blue would work as well, but would be less subtle. Add a blue blazer and you'll be all set. Not more stripes.

9. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

Unless I'm reading the colors wrong, I'd try a solid baby blue with a smooth finish; if that weren't an option, I'd look for a baby blue with a very small, subtle pattern.

10. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Strongest recommendation is the dark blue, plain or maybe with very subtle "dots" (not closely spaced polka dots though) in a complimentary color, but more likely in plain with a textured weave. I actually have a tie that would be perfect for it (but I'm going to keep it). I'm not a huge fan of grenadine ties, but that's not your only option for texture of course.

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] EDIT to remove a dark tie option...Too Contrasty.

12. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Jon-

As usual great choices and great matching. Oh yeah, wonderful shameless self-promotion.

For me, I would go with either # 1 or # 5 as first choices.

13. FIHTies

Damn...Cant get ANYTHING by you lawyers... [​IMG] For those that are not on the ball here, 5 is actually 4 as I removed number three as the edit suggests.

14. FIHTies

And I wouldnt try and get another color pink in here in the tie as there is little chance that it will match that color and not clash.

JJF

15. FIHTies

A friend commented that it wasnt really Shameless self promotion since I didnt include the links to my site. He is right and you should all know that it was merely an oversight... Â [​IMG] Here goes... (Now THATS shameless) Solid Blue Repp Weave Solid Blue Weave Blue and Grey Weave Navy Polka Dot

16. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Shameless and, now, smart self-promotion.

17. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

The first and last ones -- those were exactly what I was trying to describe. Nice choices FIH.

18. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Try a different pattern on this striped shirt, like a tie with a small diamond design. If you go for a striped tie, make sure the stripes are a bigger size than those on the shirt, much bigger. Otherwise the viewer's eye will hurt from the twitches. The color choice for the tie, is locked in the corner because the shirt has a powerful color. So don't try to compete with the shirt with the tie. You can color coordinate with the shirt and jacket. If the jacket is blue, try the complementary blues. Or, coordinate with the pants, if the jacket is sportjacket. Have fun with this shirt. Looks kewl. [​IMG]