• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mastering the mismatched look - in WSJ

minervau

Reaction score
Suit jacket or blazer + jeans = business attire? Let's not go crazy here.

empirestate

Reaction score
Not a bad clip. But I think for the typical American, spezzato can go very, very wrong.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a bad clip. But I think for the typical American, spezzato can go very, very wrong.

+ 1

The average American can't even master business casual yet, let alone Spezzato.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen way too many suit jacket and jeans attempts gone wrong.

I think many people should learn to dress 'by the book' before they try 'spezzato.'

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen way too many suit jacket and jeans attempts gone wrong.
I think many people should learn to dress 'by the book' before they try 'spezzato.'

Agreed. It can be done well, but I see it done poorly about 90% of the time - if people aren't sure which category they will fall into, it's best to just leave it alone.

My personal opinion is that an easy way to pull it off is to make sure the following elements are present

1) Dark jeans with a minimal wash/detailing - if its too embellished, it just looks weird.

2) The jacket should be a sport coat, or a suit jacket with some noticeable texture - if it's too fine a suit fabric, it just looks odd with jeans. The less "business" the jacket looks, the better

3) Everything has to be fitted - if even one item fits too loose, it just kills the whole look. Also being skinny really helps here.

4) Rock the tie with a dimple, knit ties are better because they are more casual and less business. Don't do what that guy in the video did with his tie, looks goofy (although 90% of people won't notice.)

Every now and again I see a guy wandering around with a pinstripe suit jacket that is way too big, some light blue true religion jeans - I'm pretty sure these guys think they are the height of spezzato :crazy:

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the article and especially the photos. Since I'm 5'7" I tend to avoid the whole mismatched thing, however. ;)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice brief clip. It certainly reflects what we have all seen in blogs for a while now and many have actually been wearing this look for decades (i.e. Ralph Lauren wearing jeans and a navy blazer since the early 70's or Ivy Leaguers in the late 60's in jeans and classic tweeds). It is just that when the Italians do it, it becomes more of a consistent style, especially in the tailoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads