1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Martinis

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Stylish Guy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Solution is easy: Drink at a better bar. You can generally tell how good a bar is by the bottles it stocks. If it has five different flavored vodkas but no maraschino liqueur, order a beer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think what you say has some pretty applicable wisdom to it, but even at some places where the bar stock is pretty impressive, the whole "dirty vodka martini" craze rules. I find upscale steakhouse bars/lounges to be like this. Great bottle selection but if it's a 20-something pretty blonde designed for maximum tippage from affluent middle aged men? Probably knows the "martini menu" as her stock and trade.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Very true. I feel that most places have the beer menu down pretty well. It seems that microbrews and such are kind of, "in" right now.

4. Ambulance Chaser

I would trust a bartender at an upscale steakhouse to get almost everything right, particularly if the clientele are affluent middle-aged men who are the likeliest to be into classic cocktails. Last night, I went to a spirits tasting at a steakhouse in the W Hotel. One of the customers, a white, middle-aged man dressed in a suit, ordered a Manhattan as his opening cocktail. Being a huge Manhattan fan, I watched the bartender (Korean man who looked to be in his 30s or 40s) closely. He stirred the drink, added two drops of bitters (a detail many bartenders miss) and finished with a cherry that was not neon red in color. Granted, a Manhattan is not a difficult drink to make, but I have confidence that this bartender could competently make any drink I might order.

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

This is VERY dependent on the city. Really good bartenders are a rare breed down here, even in high end joints.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

This thread is making me thirsty.

1 person likes this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

I went to Peter Luger's this summer with my dentist and his friends. I was the youngest person in attendance by 40 years. I had a few martinis and the older bartender who made them for me did a great job. All off the other people who were with me were waaaaay more affluent than I, by 10's of millions. I think the most impressive drink I saw ordered by them was a Grey Goose vodka on the rocks. I kid you not. they winced at my martinis.

Even at dives in New York, bitters in a Manhattan are pretty standard. Also, it seems that they like to serve them up if you don't specify on the rocks. I was always under the impression that a Manhattan demanded rocks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  8. Piobaire

30-40 Korean guy =! blonde female 20-something tip machine

Btw, where I live? The biggest offender for dirty vodka martini without vermouth is a high end steakhouse with attached live jazz lounge. It has a great selection, and if you give clear instructions can even get a good manhattan with bitters (manhattan has been my cocktail of choice for about 25 years now), but the staff is not to be trusted on their own.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Manhattan is served up and with bitters. Always. It should be served in a martini glass but I've seen others used and am not really picky about the barware in question.

10. patrickBOOTH

Clearly... It is a cocktail glass, not a martini glass :teach:

11. Ambulance Chaser

I think the presumption is that a Manhattan is served up, but it is perfectly acceptable to serve it on the rocks. I generally like mine up unless I am walking around (like at a happy hour) and want to minimize the chances of spilling my drink.

12. patrickBOOTH

You just gotta take a few nice gulps upfront.

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

This man knows what he's talkin about

14. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Bah!

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Where is the drinkin threak? This is the closest I could find. Cheers.

16. Piobaire

I came to manhattans through boating. Insulated cup, on the rocks, Canadian whisky, blue water, topless women. Hard for life to get much better than that.

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

:laugh:

Congratulations on your first creepy old man post. You have crossed the Rubicon my friend.

18. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

ftfy

2 people like this.
  19. Ambulance Chaser

:uhoh:

I think life would be much better with rye whiskey or bourbon. :teach:

1 person likes this.
  20. caxt

caxt Well-Known Member

Try it when you’re only 22 and in the company of much older adults who never stray farther from their comfort zone then a whisky-ginger.

I attempted to get my order in quick and painlessly.

Hendricks, 4 to 1, Stirred with a twist.

No dice. I was thoroughly mocked for being pretentious.

Ah well, the agony of trying to avoid a salty vodka slurry.