• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the info accompanying the FW2013 campaign I posted earlier, the suits are made in Filottrano, Italy. Not sure if it's brand own factory or if it's the place that also makes the Lardini & co. suff

Thanks - I would guess it was the latter. I very much doubt she has her own factory (whether owned or sole-contracted)...

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Pretty sure she does have her own factory.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure she does have her own factory.

Having had a look around, you may well be right. I'd imagine it was located in Filottrano because of the existing tailoring tradition and talent there.

Last edited:

Syeknom

Reaction score
I have an awesome cashmere navy shawl collar cardigan from a year or two ago from south willard when all you fools were sleepin. Have a couple of her shirts from before that are ok.

Don't like the mhl **** though. Of course sw was the first to carry both lines in the states as she didn't sell to anyone before that.

MHL stuff is certainly a pretty noticeable drop in loveliness. Some nice designs though.

Is the cardi 100% cashmere? I'm tempted by the 70% merino/30% cashmere jumper in the current collection.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Yes 100%.

L1020090.jpg

rublev

Reaction score
Sample sale in London tomorrow and Friday. Anyone going?

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having had a look around, you may well be right. I'd imagine it was located in Filottrano because of the existing tailoring tradition and talent there.

I believe it's a mix. She has her own production facility, but not everything is made there (factories often specialize in one category, like wovens, knits, leather, tailoring, etc. because each can require specialized knowledge, and maybe more importantly, specialized machines which can be very expensive, though of course there can be overlap). John Smedley does her knitwear, for example, or at least did as of 2008. Don't know if the tailored pieces are made in a separate factory, like the Lardini one sipang mentioned, but I would think that would only be the case if it's fully canvassed and all that (edit: looking at the pics above some of it obviously is).

I've read a little about the brand here and there because anytime I see it in person, like at Barneys, I always think it looks nicely designed and made. It can come off as a little bland sometimes, especially in pictures, but up close it reads more as understated than bland. It doesn't draw much attention either because it doesn't change much season to season. I think the only reason it doesn't ignore the fashion calendar totally is probably just for business reasons. That said, I thought the recent spring show was so good. What did sipang call it? boring done well, I think. :)

Last edited:

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - I would guess it was the latter. I very much doubt she has her own factory (whether owned or sole-contracted)...

She does have her own Factory in London, however it is generally used exclusively for Mainline shirting. They also make the Shirt Blazer there (the summer weight ones). I don't believe the Factory in Italy is hers, she uses many contract suppliers, many of them based in UK. John Smedley don't make all of the knitwear, just the fine weight stuff. Some jackets are made in the UK, the suiting is made in Italy, Portugal and the Czech Republic (it's all written on the labels).

The Margaret Howell 2013 Calendar features 12 of the the British manufactures she has worked with over the past 40 years; these include:
Harris Tweed
Whitehouse Cox (bridle leather goods)
Stephen Walters (silk weavers)
Mackintosh
James Grove *& Sons (buttons)
Ercol
Scott & Charters (cashmere knitwear)
Branksome China
Corgi Hosiery
John Smedley
Fox Borthers & Co.
Margaret Howell (shirts - Edmonton - London)

Last edited:

rublev

Reaction score
Sample sale was poor. Mainly suiting and in large sizing. Pricing was surprisingly high as well :\

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is the thread for the Ladies or everyone?

Regarding The Shining Margaret Howell cord bomber jacket:

this was remade 2 years ago; however it was not made in the burgundy cord and quite a lot of the detailing was changed.

it was made in two fabrics: a grey marl wool and a petrol blue garbadine – I have both : )

see picture of grey bomber below

I thought the Sale was OK, picked a couple of pieces - not as good as the last one though.

Last edited:

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of the merino/cashmere Saddle crews that I picked up at Sale last year and agree the fit and quality is great.

My worry about the natural Saddle crews is they are going to itch like mad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads