1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Manly Things

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by VMan, Apr 10, 2006.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

Eating smoked sausages on the grill, reading the package and seeing the first three ingredients as: Beef, Pork Hearts, Pork - and finishing the sandwich anyway.
    Potted Meat Food Product.

2. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

Being the one people ring when they have a question about a poker rule. Or when they want to know which scotch to buy. Yeah.

3. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

4. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

Waking up with *morning wood* [​IMG]

5. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

I know Hiram well....I've got a crazy Uncle who lives there. I always refer to it as the "Stephen King" town. I've driven through there dozens of times and have NEVER seen anyone on the street. It's a spooky place that Hiram,Maine.

Having spent four years in Maine, the one thing that always struck me is that they're the perfect place to set Stephen King's stories. Mainers have such a "live and let live," "if you don't bother me, I won't bother you" attitude, that I have no doubt that an entire town could turn into vampires and remain that way for years. The locals wouldn't do a thing about it, other than avoid the town.

I imagine exchanges like this:

- Tourist: "We were thinking of driving to Jersalem's Lot for dinner."

- Mainer: "No, sir. It's a funny place. You don't want ta go theyah."

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Sorry, have to ask: what witbier? [​IMG]

Now, if you could find someone to pay you big $$$ for your memoirs you could keep that uP! [​IMG]

blanc do brookline. not an import, but you have to make cutbacks when you are unemployed[​IMG] actually, a perfectly good beer.

7. jay allen

jay allen Well-Known Member

Having spent four years in Maine, the one thing that always struck me is that they're the perfect place to set Stephen King's stories. Mainers have such a "live and let live," "if you don't bother me, I won't bother you" attitude, that I have no doubt that an entire town could turn into vampires and remain that way for years. The locals wouldn't do a thing about it, other than avoid the town. I imagine exchanges like this: - Tourist: "We were thinking of driving to Jersalem's Lot for dinner." - Mainer: "No, sir. It's a funny place. You don't want ta go theyah."
    You pretty much nailed the Maine attitude. Hiram, Maine may very well be all vampires for all I know. It is a FREAKY place. Very small town with just a 4 way stop at it's center. There is a general store on one corner that NEVER has an customers. I've stopped in there several times on my way through...and I've always been the only customer. The streets are lined with little houses, with well kept lawns, and every shade in town is pulled. I'm not making this shit up. I've driven through there dozens of times.....and NEVER seen a human being on the street. The only guy I've ever seen is the old man at the general store. Of course I should say that I've only been through there in daylight...... BTW...I've met Stephen King several times. He's a prety cool guy. My family had a store in another small town called Bridgton. He was living there when he wrote Carrie (before anyone knew who he was) and used to stop in frequently for pizza. In later years I ran into him at the University of Maine at Orono. He would occasionally do readings there. He is also a huge music fan and my band was opening up for Willie Nelson several years ago and he spent the day backstage with us. For a guy with untold wealth and fame....he is as down to earth as they come. It's his wife that is the freaky one....not him. I once went to a reading of her poetry......it was all about bloody teeth.

8. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

The only guy I've ever seen is the old man at the general store.

Based on the Blade trilogy, my understanding is that vampires require human "familiars."

Of course, there's a flip side to the whole "live and let live" attitude. I've heard some scary stories about what happens to people who mess with a lobsterman's traps.

9. jay allen

Having worked on a swordfishing boat I can tell you that the stories are undoubtedly true.

10. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I suppose Maine's geographical position has its justifications.

Flannery O'Connor might have also found Maine compelling.

12. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

O'Connor's writing is too deeply religious and sacramental for New England, though the grotesque, I'm sure, abounds behind closed doors. In a somewhat different vein, I think Raymond Carver may have done well.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Yes, she was devoutly Roman Catholic; however as you note, the grotesque would have been appropriate in any religous circumstance.

Although in her native South, it seems Roman Catholicism wasn't the normative faith.

David Lynch would be another person to take advantage of Maine's oddity.

14. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

Maine always reminded me of the yawn-inducing blandness of Sarah Orne Jewett.

15. jay allen

Maine always reminded me of the yawn-inducing blandness of Sarah Orne Jewett.
    If I didn't know better I would think you were insulting my beloved home state. If that is the case....you sir, are a dick. No more lobstah for you!

16. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

If I didn't know better I would think you were insulting my beloved home state. If that is the case....you sir, are a dick. No more lobstah for you!

Nah, it was more a denouncement of boring American local color fiction than an attack on your state. Never been to Maine, but if I weren't so lazy about travel I'd have made at least one effort to drive up there for some lobster sampling before I leave the east coast after graduation. I have to imagine there's some interesting local cuisine there I'd like to try.

17. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

Understatement.

and the appreciation of it.

18. heartworm

heartworm Well-Known Member

I don't find driving particularly masculine... The ones I can think of right now are:

- Building something or creating something, that works.

- Killing something, then eating it.

19. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

O'Connor's writing is too deeply religious and sacramental for New England, though the grotesque, I'm sure, abounds behind closed doors. In a somewhat different vein, I think Raymond Carver may have done well.

No. Carver had to have the mailman footing it through Arcata, the suck of vacuuming upholstery in the anti-neighborhood, scattered with rental signs.

20. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Most tough men eat nails for breakfast. Chuck Norris does all of his grocery shopping at Home Depot.