1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Making hummus

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by javyn, Jul 13, 2010.

1. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

I start with dried ones too, but cook in a pressure cooker. Really speeds things up.

+100 for pressure cookers and beans of any form.

2. kaxixi

kaxixi Well-Known Member

Agree with most of the opinions expressed so far. Dried is better but canned works fine. Bullet-style hand blender works well--I bought mine off Amazon based on reviews. Tahini is better than none.

3. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Find the Bullet to hold up well?

4. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Well-Known Member

Magic Bullet is a versatile machine. Will easily do small batches of chick peas for hummus. Don't overblend.

You must have tahini. You also must have lemon juice.

Consider that many commercially prepared hummus recipes use very large amounts of salt. That's why store-bought hummus tastes so fucking good.

You have some paprika, right?

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Why doesn't the blender work for you Jav?

6. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

It works, but it's a PITA.

7. Pinhas

Pinhas Well-Known Member

I sometimes add a bit of yogurt into the mix. Its gives a different texture and doesn’t affect the taste. Also a few spoons of water of you like smoother consistency.

Tahina is very important; one of the base ingredients of hummus together with lemon. Add some herbs and seasoning to the mixture, it all depends on taste really. Sprinkle some paprika on top with oil and you are good to go.

8. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

+1 to everything here... and think about throwing some toasted, ground-up pine nuts into the mix. Freakin' YUM.

9. tshaw

tshaw Well-Known Member

Best recipe for Hummus I have comes from a vegeterian, low-fat Jewish cookbook:

4 cups precooked chickpeas
    1/2 cup water3 tbsp tahini
    2tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cumin
    S&P to taste.

Blend in cuisart until smooth. Yum! I have played with it at different times and, afer blending, added red pepper pieces &/or red pepper flakes for a little heat; lemon zest and olive oil on top; roasted garlic cloves and pignoli - let your imagination run wild. It's a versatile food.

T

PS. I always cook my dreid beans in either the pressure cooker or ovenight in a slow cooker -depends upon how much time I have on my hands.

10. Saul Gud

Saul Gud New Member

Adding grilled garlic is huge!!!

11. Monaco

Monaco Well-Known Member

How do you grind your chickpeas? The blender is a pain in the ass, and I don't have the space or desire for a food processor.

Has anyone had any luck with the "magic bullet" or similar devices for making this wonderful chick pea paste?

The fucking magic bullet is the most worthless thing ever. I can't believe I spent all that money for it, I try to make hummus or pesto, or nut butters or anything that has solid substance, it takes forever for the food to actually reach the blade because you put it in upside down and it just spins for the longest time while food slowly slides down the side.

I would take a food processor any day, get the right tools for the right job.

12. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

The fucking magic bullet is the most worthless thing ever. I can't believe I spent all that money for it, I try to make hummus or pesto, or nut butters or anything that has solid substance, it takes forever for the food to actually reach the blade because you put it in upside down and it just spins for the longest time while food slowly slides down the side.

I would take a food processor any day, get the right tools for the right job.

Was trying to avoid getting a food processor due to space limitations, but I'm thinking you are probably right.

13. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Well-Known Member

Bullet is not the superior machine but its bang-for-buck ratio cannot be ignored. Had mine for two years. I use it almost daily for smoothies, pesto, hummus, tomato purees, and other random shit. If your hummus won't spin in this motherfucker then you need more liquid in there. I suggest adding some of the water in which you soaked and cooked your beans. There's vitamins and shit in there. You didn't dump it out did you?

Add some roasted red pepper for variety. Or caramelized onion.

14. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Wanted to bump this, as I'm making hummus this weekend. Do you guys make your own tahini, or do you just buy it from a mediterranean store? I'm contemplating going completely from scratch on this one (except the olive oil [​IMG]), but if making my own tahini is a PITA, I might just run down to the grocery store and pick up some tahini [​IMG]

15. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Wanted to bump this, as I'm making hummus this weekend. Do you guys make your own tahini, or do you just buy it from a mediterranean store? I'm contemplating going completely from scratch on this one (except the olive oil [​IMG]), but if making my own tahini is a PITA, I might just run down to the grocery store and pick up some tahini [​IMG]

I buy it. Making it seems like a royal pain.

16. Pinhas

Pinhas Well-Known Member

Buy it; like said above making rom scratch is annoying and probably not worth it.

*EDIT*
    BTW, where did you guys get the magic bullet? their site wants 99$ but Amazon has it for 45$? is there a difference?

And is it worth it? does it break often?