1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Making coffee while on the road

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Even moderately terrible coffee is hard to find in Central America. I finally decided to just do it myself. So, what do you guys think is the best method for this? My original thought was mokapot, but then I realized that I don't always have access to a kitchen. Then I moved onto french press, but I can't seem to find a plastic one. The stainless ones might get dented or break and, obviously, glass won't work.

2. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Aeropress with a metal filter.

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Agree on aero press. Its madenof sturdy plastic. No breakage issues. There are also mini grinders (Hario I think makes one) made for traveling.

4. tomenugen

tomenugen Well-Known Member

Like above - aeropress + able metal disc + Kyocera or hario grinder + be familiar with how 195-200 degree water behaves/sounds

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Any good links for metal aeropress filters or portable grinders?

6. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

7. why

why Well-Known Member

So? Besides, do you intend on trying to use your French press as a car jack or something?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I actually bought a Bodum in NY and it was at the bottom of the shopping bag with some other junk, ran out of luggage space and just checked in a plastic bag and forgot about the french press along the way - just taped that plastic bag up and stuck a 'fragile' sticker on it. I threw that plastic bag around thinking it was full of our soft stuff forgetting about the Bodum, but it made it from NY to Tokyo completely intact in the bottom of that bag. I guess they're pretty durable.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

No. But I do want it to last. And you'd be amazed how often shit seems to get broken when its in a backpack.

Lucky. Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance.

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why these models?

11. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

The grinder because I think most people who own it love it, and the filter because it was what I found on Amazon. Usually people buy the Coava metal filter for the Aeropress. I couldn't tell if that one was actually made by them, but it looks close enough.

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Hmm. I emailed Coava and they're not selling the filter any longer. They referred me to Able Brewing, which is the same as the one on Amazon.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

pack reasonably smartly and I don't think a Bodum will break. Just wrap it in a few tee shirts. This is coming from the guy who has logged an easy six digits in miles, packing lots of random breakables haphazardly and getting everything across intact. Not a single drop of whisky or wine in my suitcase. I did bust a bottle of Dr Bronner's in my suitcase once, wasn't fun, but that wasn't supposed to be breakable... :eek: