1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mafoo in NY Daily News!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack11211, Aug 18, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

2. Thurston

Thurston Well-Known Member

Are you addressing whether Ivy League schools provide athletic scholarships or whether the Ivy League rules prohibit the offering of athletic scholarships? Those are entirely different things.
    Not really. Think about it this way: if they really were giving out scholarships (regardless of the rule), how would they not dominate in basketball and football? There are certainly enough poor and lower middle class kids who are smart enough to do okay on their SATs and would trip over themselves to play football or basketball at Harvard on a team that could actually contend with a handful of similar top players.

3. gomestar

those kids would get financial aid. If your family makes under $60-70K a year, you're pretty much covered in full (at least according to the new packages that have been rolled out).

and any legitimate player is going to the Big 10, Big East, etc. with the notion that they're going pro.

4. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Not really. Think about it this way: if they really were giving out scholarships (regardless of the rule), how would they not dominate in basketball and football? There are certainly enough poor and lower middle class kids who are smart enough to do okay on their SATs and would trip over themselves to play football or basketball at Harvard on a team that could actually contend with a handful of similar top players.

Think about it this way. There are good looking secretaries that can't type who are hired for their typing skills and people who object to things on principle when they care about the money.
    Ivy league rosters are filled with players on full scholarship (often through "work-study" no-show jobs and other techniques). A reason they don't dominate in athletics is that many top athletes, especially ones for whom their athletic pursuits are paramount, have other priorities than getting an Ivy education.

5. gomestar

I don't doubt that there is some money hidden in there, a cool $2K here and there. But full tuition is ridiculous. Either Columbia is breaching a major Ivy League agreement or he is not disclosing everything he should be.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Wait did mafoo get in due to forum backing or was it jury related? Old man style is in!! Good luck Foo.

7. Chips

Chips Well-Known Member

Good for him. I'm rooting for him. What the hell could he buy from KC? A ton of socks?

8. bafield

bafield Well-Known Member

"What's the most expensive thing in your closet?

Definitely my Thom Browne cashmere overcoat. It's worth $5,000. But I have a rule: I don't pay retail. Ever. I go to sample sales or shop on eBay. I only paid $800 for that overcoat."

Ummmm...doesn't that make it "worth" $800 then?

9. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Well-Known Member

Good for him. I'm rooting for him. What the hell could he buy from KC? A ton of socks?

10 cotton/poly sparkly shirts = $800

25 Skinny Ties = $1250

Seeing 50 pairs of the same black square toe shoes lined up on Foos' floor = Priceless

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

"What's the most expensive thing in your closet?

Definitely my Thom Browne cashmere overcoat. It's worth $5,000. But I have a rule: I don't pay retail. Ever. I go to sample sales or shop on eBay. I only paid $800 for that overcoat."

Ummmm...doesn't that make it "worth" $800 then?

Retail price is $5000 and that's what he was trying to convey. This is nothing particularly groundbreaking here as the retail versus discounted price seems to allow bragging rights around SF so who are we to judge.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Since when do Ivies offer scholarships?

They do not. I know Columbia does not. Princeton does not either.

It was regular financial aid. Or he had some kind of external scholarship.

12. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Dan sounds like an ass. I hope Foo wins.

13. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

I once sat through a meeting my brother was having with Harvard's football coach. They way the preferential recruiting works is this (at least for football):

The team is given a number of preferred admission slots at different levels of academic achievement. They calculate the latter by adding up grades and SATs (I believe that's it) to get a figure. The coach can then decide what players he wants at a certain level of academic achievement and send those in to the admissions office where they'll be allowed in. They only have a few spots for candidates that would be very marginal in the main draw (though they still have to hit decent numbers) and get a few more for each of the subsequently more accomplished levels. In order to keep competition somewhat level, Harvard, Yale and Princeton are given less of the slots that are on the lower academic end than Cornell/Brown/etc. as there is the assumption that they have more drawing power.

Also, at least some of the Ivy's have really amped up their aid to the middle class (with Harvard I believe offering basically free tuition), but that would have been after this guy was in school.

14. instep

instep Well-Known Member

Since when do Ivies offer scholarships?
    Y'know, when I first read that, I did a massive double take - MFF on a basketball scholarship?!

15. ohm

ohm Well-Known Member

Good luck Foo (and yet again I ask, seriously, what are you going to do with 10k of KC?)!

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Dan sounds like an ass. I hope Foo wins.

Well, to be fair, they did re-order and combine answers to make it look like some statements were volunteered rather than specifically asked for. For example, I did not, out of the blue, state that 90% of my wardrobe is bespoke. They first asked me who made my suits, shirts, etc., then asked how much they cost (which I declined to answer), and then asked me to estimate how many of my clothes are custom.

17. ohm

ohm Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, they did re-order and combine answers to make it look like some statements were volunteered rather than specifically asked for. For example, I did not, out of the blue, state that 90% of my wardrobe is bespoke. They first asked me who made my suits, shirts, etc., then asked how much they cost (which I declined to answer), and then asked me to estimate how many of my clothes are custom.

That is very generous of you, but I don't think re-ordering is his issue.

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

That is very generous of you, but I don't think re-ordering is his issue.

Haha. I'm just trying not to be bitter that they put him first [​IMG].

19. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Actually, you are completely wrong. The Ivy League has a strict prohibition against providing athletic scholarships. From wikipedia, "Unlike most Division I athletic conferences, the Ivy League prohibits the granting of athletic scholarships; all scholarships awarded are need-based (financial aid)." This policy is based on the Ivy Group Agreement, which established academic, financial, and athletic standards for athletics in the Ivies. One of its major tenets is that "The members of the Group reaffirm their prohibition of athletic scholarships. Athletes shall be admitted as students and awarded financial aid only on the basis of the same academic standards and economic need as are applied to all other students." Colgate is a member of the Patriot League. The Patriot League has also had a longstanding tradition of not offering athletic scholarships either. This policy has changed in recent years; however, most of the schools in the league provide far fewer athletic scholarships than traditional Division I programs.
    People might be taking this too literally, he may have received the financial aid based on hardship and prefers to think of it as a basketball scholarship because he feels self conscious about his background. Let's be charitable.

20. Thurston

Thurston Well-Known Member

I once sat through a meeting my brother was having with Harvard's football coach. They way the preferential recruiting works is this (at least for football):

The team is given a number of preferred admission slots at different levels of academic achievement. They calculate the latter by adding up grades and SATs (I believe that's it) to get a figure. The coach can then decide what players he wants at a certain level of academic achievement and send those in to the admissions office where they'll be allowed in. They only have a few spots for candidates that would be very marginal in the main draw (though they still have to hit decent numbers) and get a few more for each of the subsequently more accomplished levels. In order to keep competition somewhat level, Harvard, Yale and Princeton are given less of the slots that are on the lower academic end than Cornell/Brown/etc. as there is the assumption that they have more drawing power.

Also, at least some of the Ivy's have really amped up their aid to the middle class (with Harvard I believe offering basically free tuition), but that would have been after this guy was in school.

This essentially matches my understanding. The one exception is your final statement. I believe that all Ivies now offer grants exclusively. In other words, financial aid, while syill need-based, is never repaid. I think that Penn was the last school to go this model about a year ago.