1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Speaking of the pilot episode - I just came across it by chance testing out my Netflix and I realized that Draper used the same "What's happiness" pitch for Dow Chemical when he was coming up with "It's Toasted" for Lucky Strike.

And someone here a few pages ago was talking about how Campbell wanted the same view and via extension the same position as Draper which also happened to be in the pilot.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

Is "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" the pilot episode? I am in the process of watching the first season, which I had never seen before. I picked up sometime during the second season. I gotta say, if I would have watched just the first episode, I wouldn't have continued on. It seems so wooden and uninteresting. A lot of it seems to be focused on the superficialities: drinking at work, smoking everywhere and casual racism/sexism. But after a few episodes, it hit its stride. The characters are deeper and more nuanced. We just finished episode 9, which is where people are noticing that Peggy has put on a little weight.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Re-watched the finale yesterday. Anyone notice that Boob Girl about to get shock therapy begs Peter to screw her exactly the same way Megan begs Don to screw her. Peter gives in, Don does not.

Then Boob Girl forgets all Peter entirely whereas Megan continues to be entranced by and dependent on Don.

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

The Alpha/Beta nuances between Don and Pete are often shown throughout the series. Another shining example.

5. Piobaire

Indeed. Plus the ep where Peter gets hit by two different men. :laugh:

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think Don is an alpha male at all.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

If this is the case, then there are no alpha men in the show at all.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

btw is it bad that i found myself identifying with Pete a whole fuckton? Forever beta, tries to play hardball but can't really do it, no idea what i really want to do etc etc.

9. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

That's actually why I stopped watching it for a while. In fact, I posted as such on this here very forum and got pretty well flamed. I picked up some time early in season 2 and thought it had improved quite a bit. It's now so up and down for me that I don't know what to think or if I'll continue watching. I probably will, just to have something to look forward to on Sunday nights.

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah, there was a huge gap between me watching the first episode and finally picking up the rest of the show.

Maybe 6 months or a year(IIRC I watched the first episode right after either S1 or S2 finished and didn't start again until mid S2/S3)? Probably didn't help that I was watching it with a group of people, some of whom are easily bored....

Interesting thing though is that several of those people are now full mad men fans who have seen it all but only started watching more recently.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  11. Piobaire

Why do you think this?

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Maybe he isn't in reality, but everyone else thinks is he, which results in pretty much the same outcomes.

Although, I don't think anyone who isn't an alpha could finger-bang a woman into submission in a hallway.

13. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

Don is definitely an alpha male. How could anyone question that?

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Well, there's the whole fact that he's play acting his life. Maybe "the real Dick Whitman" is some flaccid nerd, but he's put on this PUA-style alpha persona as Don Draper.

I don't really buy that, but it's a theory I guess.

15. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

If it truly did begin as an act, then surely the fact that he's carried it on so successfully and so pervasively for all these years -- including in his private moments, where there's no audience for it -- suggests that he's achieved alphahood by now. It may have begun as a costume, but if the costume fits, then so be it.

There's no rational argument, one way or the other, against Don Draper's alpha status. He is as alpha a man as the show has to offer. That may be the entire point of his character, actually.

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Anytime he's put in a corner he panics or tries to intimidate.

17. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

LOL at people who don't think Don is alpha.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  18. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

have to say - Peter has gotten hit in the face by 3 differnet people this year, and he was still willing to stand up and fight. he does show some balls, if no fighting skills.

19. Neos

Neos Well-Known Member

Love the Nancy Sinatra James Bond reference.

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Has everyone forgotten how weak and insecure Don is? He can't face his brother, he's terrified of another life, he's completely afraid of losing Meagan (he wept on his knees in front of her), he was visibly shaken when Peggy leaves...

1 person likes this.