1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mattt

mattt Well-Known Member

loved this episode

2. 3cyr3

3cyr3 Well-Known Member

What a great episode, this really opens up the direction in which the season will head. I always thought the season would continue on Don's downward spiral and end in Anna's death and Don hitting rock bottom.

3. Monaco

Monaco Well-Known Member

awesome episode, I thought it was so hilarious when Duck Philips was on top of Don and I was just waiting for him to have a good comeback to Duck's Okinawa comment but he just said uncle...brilliant!!

But what the hell was the hand holding about? that kind of mixed the signals up...

4. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

Duck is so hilarious in ever scene he's in. Peggy knew he got fired and he broke down really quick. He's such a loser. The scene of him letting his dog out of the building in season 2 was great. I only wish Don beat him up with his Clio award.

What was the significance of the mouse, or Anna holding the Samsonite luggage as Don imagined her? That had no relation to his final choice of an ad.

I didn't hear the thing about Bert. What exactly happened to cause him to lose his testicles?

Someone mentioned Lyle Evans?

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...e-presume.html

5. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

But what the hell was the hand holding about? that kind of mixed the signals up...

I thought it was a good homage to the first episode (or first few) when she held his hand and he said, "I'm your boss not your boyfriend." I'm guessing it's now some kind platonic friendship a la Anna.

What was the significance of the mouse, or Anna holding the Samsonite luggage as Don imagined her? That had no relation to his final choice of an ad.

Anna can go in peace since Peggy took her place?

Oh, also Joey giving Joan attitude? I'm surprised she took it.

6. lou

lou Well-Known Member

Great episode.

Loved the scene in the bathroom. They really get the details right with this show. I liked how peggy paued for a minute and pondered which door to take, Womens, or Mens? Don and Peggy really broke down some barriers, and now they can get back to work. I'm hoping some old Don Draper comes out and we get to see the old Madison Avenue shark that he is capable of being come back.

Joan is going to make that smartass kid her bitch! You don't piss off Joan, even Draper knows this.

7. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

You know how sometimes you see/read/hear something so artistically brilliant that you can't breathe? Well, this is it. Up there with Shut the Door. Have a Seat for me.

8. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

Great episode once again, Don's angry scene with Peggy was fantastic.
    http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/p...906-14xh2.html

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

They're gonna do it.

10. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

^^Eeh. I don't think so. And if they do, it will be much farther down the line.
    I do think we're going to see Don flying straight from now on.
    Hopefully he will get his swagger back.
    Should lead to interesting interactions with Betty.

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

It was interesting to get some more back story on Peggy.

She watched her father die. Don saw his father die.

It's just interesting how similar the two are.

Choosing work and their own interests over relationships and family.

I didn't use to think of Peggy as the female Don, but this episode really makes it evident.

Some predictions for the rest of the season.

- Joans husband is killed or combat wounded in 'Nam.

- Sally + Glenn + experimentation

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

- Sally + Glenn + experimentation

Where is the vomit smiley?

13. StephenHero

^^Eeh. I don't think so. And if they do, it will be much farther down the line. I do think we're going to see Don flying straight from now on. Hopefully he will get his swagger back. Should lead to interesting interactions with Betty.
    I think the line from Peggy about having very few things of value/interest/success outside the office was the foreshadowing. They're both absorbed in their work and Don's entire night was an attempt to force Peggy to vicariously experience success and happiness through his own creative drive. The whole bit about being paid as a form of thank you should indicate that both look to business as a surrogate form of domestic pleasantries. Peggy gets upset, cries, and then accepts her reality when she takes Don's drink.

14. bkk

bkk Well-Known Member

Fantastic symbolism at the end:
    "Should I leave it open or closed?"
    "Open"

Still can't figure out the mouse meaning/symbolism.

15. StephenHero

"Open"

I thought they were going to turn that into a commercial.

Ubiquitous NY mouse shows up in office.

Trap mouse in suitcase.

Throw suitcase out window.

Go downstairs and pick up unbroken suitcase.

"Do they have mice in Fiji? Taxi!"

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Where is the vomit smiley?

i was not saying that i wanted this to happen, he's just a weirdo and she's all weird too and 'experimentation' is vague.

I didn't mean gross-o kind, just like hand holding kissing awkward pre-teen disney-ish stuff. Idk.

17. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Good Episode. I enjoyed the Peggy/Don dynamic. I hope they turn that into a mentor style relationship instead of going for the obvious sex angle.

I don't know if anybody caught it but we found out who Dr. Lyle Evans was: The man who cut off Burt Cooper's balls!

18. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

"Open"

I read it somewhere on the blogosphere (can't remember which now) but someone suggested that for Draper and Peggy the mouse finding another way out of the office signified there was more than one way out of their life predicament.

I'm surprised no one on these less than politically correct boards has commented on Blankenship's quip at the beginning of the episode.

19. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Well-Known Member

I read it somewhere on the blogosphere (can't remember which now) but someone suggested that for Draper and Peggy the mouse finding another way out of the office signified there was more than one way out of their life predicament.

I'm surprised no one on these less than politically correct boards has commented on Blankenship's quip at the beginning of the episode.

Yeah that one was actually pretty hillarious.

As others mentioned, this might be the end of Don's downward spiral, and I hope it is. Show is getting depressing when it's just down lounging around the office in a grumpy mood getting shitfaced. (allthough the lost weekend he had last episode was pretty funny, going home with the brunette and waking up with the waitress or whatever she was)

20. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Well-Known Member