1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mad Men: Final Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Detroit > 100 Atlantas

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Bob Benson agrees with you it seems :teach:

1 person likes this.
  3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Ok enough with the low blows guys

4. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

5. KenRose

KenRose Well-Known Member

loved that episode.

6. Piobaire

BOOM! Alpha a fuck again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

every season there's something.. like this...

[​IMG]

this last season is this

[​IMG]

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Great episode but Wtf was up with Ginsberg?

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

all the signs of him actually having a serious mental illness were there from the beginning. this is Weiner taking the David Chase route and shoring up story lines with the reality of the characters you're rooting for (how Chase was constantly shoving it in the audience's face that Tony Soprano and crew were ruthless degenerate criminals)...

- ginsberg was always mentally unstable probably dangerously so - its kind of a good thing that the only thing he hurt was himself.
    - Don Draper is an act played by Dick Whitman (see how his face and demeanor changes when speaking to his niece), and he's tired of playing it.
    - Peggy is sadly turning into Don Draper (who is but an act)
    - everyone is pretty much out for themselves
    - betty is a horrible mother (maybe actually not a horrible person per se but being a such horrible mother makes her a horrible person)
    - ect ect...

1 person likes this.
  10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

My favorite episode of the season thus far.

11. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Woah Ginsberg.

Had a feeling that was coming with Megan and friend.

I'd rather never see Betty again. That side story is tired.

Good to see Don make a bold move. The comeback begins.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  12. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

It's not that he didn't care. He just kept that in mind to use as a power play later, when he made Don sign the contract.

Bert is a great character. It doesn't even happen every season, but every now and then you get a glimmer of an extremely intelligent businessman.

2 people like this.
  13. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I still don't understand the Ginsburg story. It was very dramatic and came out of no where with little explanation.

14. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

I admit, I thought they had painted themselves into a corner with Don, where if he got back into action it would inevitably be sad. That just goes to show how little imagination I have! Don got the best fun of 1969 like he got the best fun of 1960.

Loving Draper vs. Cutler. Don looked bold at then end, but Cutler going after Commander cigarettes was like breaking into Don's back row with his queen.

Ginsberg got a network sitcom and got written off as clunky as any TV write-off. The lip reading was a cool 2001 reference; Don Draper = Starchild.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

That's just because you're been around computers your entire life and they are in control. They don't want you to understand or maybe they don't feel you're ready.

16. Piobaire

One of the things I liked about this episode was the continuation of the flower child thing from last week, except that instead of Roger's actual daughter, it was Don's figurative one. Megan also pulled a very Betty move by using Don's money to send the object of Don's fatherly affection packing (think Sally getting shipped to boarding school) It also continued to dangle the Megan gets murdered thing with inviting Stephanie up to her house like that with the two of them being all alone.

Closing sequence was the best couple of scenes in the last two years. First Don crashing the breakfast meeting, where in very classic Don Draper style he walks in as the underdog (well actually, Underdog, thanks to Lou's little side-plot) and now has Commander in the palm of his hand. Then the last scene where Don symbolically sends them packing in taxi cab. The, "You're incredible" from Lou and Don's reply of, "Thank you" was perfect. This was in parallel to last week where Don himself finds a "virgin," and is not even allowed to hand the business off to someone else, where this week someone finds a monster account that is anything but a virgin and Don literally closes and steals the deal in one fell swoop.

Speaking of parallelism Don was off screwing women on Betty, but in this second marriage, Megan brings Don women.

The Don of old has returned.

Edit: Forgot the best Sally line ever was said last night. "It's a nose job, not an abortion." Didn't Betty consider having an abortion?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  17. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

amazing episode. lawrence and piob pretty much summed it up. but...

1. holy shit ginsberg.

2. congrats don!

[​IMG]

18. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Wow, easily the best episode of this and last season.

As far as Ginsburg, I just see it as being a reflection of the creative world (advertising, entertainment, etc) including people with a wide range of personalities, including crazies. Also, he is like the guy in your dorm in college. He seems OK and then at some point he just looses it. Such is life.

1 person likes this.
  19. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Anyone who lip reads care to detail the conversation in the computer room between Lou and Cutler?

20. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Clearly, Lou and Cutler were hitting on each other turning homo in the computer room. They were also probably talking about going Commando.

5 people like this.