1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mad Men costumes - discuss

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by porcelain monkey, Oct 6, 2008.

1. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Draper wore an odd jacket to Benihana's last night. I'm guessing he's also relaxing his style of dress - I can't remember the last time he did that on a date. He always seemed to be in a suit.

Did they give Campbell even more narrower ties? Those looked thinner than 2.5".

I'm assuming the Japanese visitors simply picked up a GQ or something circa 1960s and dressed exactly like their North American counterparts? Were skinny lapels in fashion in Japan at that time?

Anyway, I thought the most interesting was the competitor. They dressed so much more relaxed. Compare the scene where the guy was yelling at Smitty versus the one where all the partners hover around Draper's desk - night & day difference.

2. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

Bumping to get me in the mood for Season 5. 1966 here we come.

3. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the show to reach the early 70's and the nearly total and instant change of fashion. It'll generate a whole new wave of prosperity in the men's wear industry.

4. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

^ me too. I was hoping Don might waking up in Tahoe in 1972 with a full-blown mustache. :)

5. mjjo

mjjo Active Member

as much as the story, their costumes are highly anticipated as well.

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

And a polyester leisure suit with huge lapels and.bell bottoms?
    Back to work in a hideous broad check jacket that will have some people on here coming in thei pants?

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Well-Known Member

There seemed to be a subtle change in Roger's wardrobe last night. He looked a bit disheveled with his shirts and suits a little on the rumpled, boxy side. It might just be me, but it would reflect Roger's new role as gadfly drunk...not that he was ever anything else...but it seems to be more acute this time round.

But screw the men's clothes. Don's wife in the "time to clean up" scene was. Well.

8. porcelain monkey

Yeah, and I thought the mini-dress she wore at the party would be the high water mark of that episode.

I liked the range of clothes at the party as well - the younger people in more casual clothes and the older ones in jacket and tie. I liked Pete's madras and thought Harry's lime green (I think it was) mock was pretty atrocious, but spot on with what he seems to be turning into. The whole party seemed to have a swinging sixties vibe to it that I am guessing will be a theme this year.

I agree about Roger. I thought maybe that was just sloppy costuming, but not with that show. Also his wife Jane seems to have gained some weight.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  9. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

If you ever told me that I'd one day sit drooling over a woman in granny panties, I wouldn't have believed you until today.

1 person likes this.
  10. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

The show is going a little risque... :nodding:

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

So the filth series is worth bit-torrenting then.

12. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

Imagine going to work and suiting up in those costumes. That would make my day.

13. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Freudian slip?

14. porcelain monkey

15. doughboysc

doughboysc Well-Known Member

That's what I call a real plaid sportcoat and a crested necktie worn by John Slattery. It would be something if Don Draper worn kipper neckties and Turnbull & Asser shirts from now-defunct Bonwit Teller and Ohrbach's (now-defunct store, was popular store in the 1960s).