1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Macy's pulls the plug on Window Display in Boston

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Drinkwaters, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Well-Known Member

Last week Macy's Boston decided to pull a provocative window display out because of the numerous calls to do so. To celebrate Gay Pride week in Boston, the window display staff decided to feature two men holding hands, one of them was a womens body with a mans head to depict a trans gender. He/she was wearing a dress. Many groups on both sides were outraged, one because they allowed it and it was too severe and the other cried to the ACLU. I'm still trying to figure out how I stand on this issue, one because I trim windows all the time and know how important it is to catch the attention of an audience and realize the shock value of intriguing window display. I can understand a parent trying to explain to their child why that man has boobs but that situation is going to occur at some point. I guess we have entered a new chapter to the Birds and the Bees. I've heard all the talk shows I want to hear on this subject and quite frankly they have only let the extreme right wingers in on this discussion but what do the SF members think. "VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist Please!

2. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

I hear they're just flying off the racks in Better Men's Dresses.

3. Cuff Link

Cuff Link Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I am no right winger but I was appalled at what I saw. Just another reason why Chicagoans will not shop Macy's when they take the Marshall Fields signs down.

Cuff

4. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

No big deal. I remember asking why a man had boobs when I saw a trans in a book store when I must have been 8-10.

5. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

People in this country are uptight relative to most people in the world. Think it has something to do with Puritan origins.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I don't care either way, but it was a dumb marketing move. Boston is a rather conservative, working class town with large liberal enclaves. The Boston Macy's is not the LA Beverly Center Macys (dare I say, the gayest Macy's there is (the sister store Bloomingdales used to carry Tom of Finland!)). The demographic that it (Boston Macy's) caters to is decidedly down market, its location in Downtown Crossing and a quick look at the brands carried bears this out. University kids and Southenders are not shopping there. Whoever okayed this move is going to get a talking to, at very least.

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

I'm just amazed at the stuff people actually choose to care about. I don't think you could *pay* me to care about whether or not a mannequin has breasts, or whether two male mannequins are holding hands.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

People in this country are uptight relative to most people in the world. Think it has something to do with Puritan origins.
    C'est vrai.

9. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

I see no problem with either the display, or their decision to change it.

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

I see no problem with either the display, or their decision to change it.

As the sage Senior Partner said to me on my first day:
    "Business. Is business."

"Now get the hell out of my office, I have work to do."

11. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

did the mannequin breasts have nipples?

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

did the mannequin breasts have nipples?

And if they did, were they pierced?

Jon.