• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Why would they use a standardized interface protocol? This is Apple we're talking about here.

It would also cost them $10,000 a year to license HDMI so that they could put it into their computers. Gotta pinch those pennies!

Honestly is the only reason b/c it paints you into a corner?
I mean once you buy one product then another and they only work with each other and other Apple products you have $ sunk and just keep rolling. It REALLY is starting to piss me off b/c Apple does some things very, very well. e.g. their multi touch track pad is so good and so nice to use I can't really imagine having a lap top w/o one.
But damn... **** is limited at times.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it that the macbook air can't do? I mean it should be able to run office, itunes, web, etc. right? And I'm assuming it should be fine playing a video or watching a game? Are we talking heavy computing which I'd never have to deal with really? I am getting a little tired waiting for both the new ipad and macbook pro. maybe i'll just get an air instead.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Apple Marketing 101
Once you buy one product then another and they only work with each other and other Apple products you have $ sunk and just keep rolling.

FTFY

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
In other news, why do Macs not have HDMI ports on their lap tops? Does Apple have a dog in that fight or will they just wait five more years, release a new version that has what every product on the market has and call it revolutionary?
what's the point of having it if they don't offer bluray either? are people connecting their laptops to hdmi televisions? and isn't the dvi/hdmi converter cheap anyway? i remember reading that displayport allowed you to connect to hdmi but i've never connected a laptop to a tv so i don't know.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
what's the point of having it if they don't offer bluray either? are people connecting their laptops to hdmi televisions? and isn't the dvi/hdmi converter cheap anyway?
Yeah, but that only works if they have a DVI port. Which at least the 13" dont. They have DisplayPort. Which is not really compatible.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the point of having it if they don't offer bluray either? are people connecting their laptops to hdmi televisions? and isn't the dvi/hdmi converter cheap anyway? i remember reading that displayport allowed you to connect to hdmi but i've never connected a laptop to a tv so i don't know.

The point is it would be nice to be able to hook a lap top up to a TV if I want to. Considering the amount of computing power a modern lap top has you should be able to get away with only having one computer. By restricting the usability by leaving off things like an HDMI Apple does it's clients a disservice. Not everybody can afford several computers each costing over a $1000. My MacBook might not be the perfect all in one computer but it is what I have and these type of limitations are starting to piss me off.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is it would be nice to be able to hook a lap top up to a TV if I want to. Considering the amount of computing power a modern lap top has you should be able to get away with only having one computer. By restricting the usability by leaving off things like an HDMI Apple does it's clients a disservice. Not everybody can afford several computers each costing over a $1000. My MacBook might not be the perfect all in one computer but it is what I have and these type of limitations are starting to piss me off.

But why do you want to hook it up to a tv? It doesn't have bluray. To use as a really big monitor or something? And does yours not have a dvi or displayport connection?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But why do you want to hook it up to a tv? It doesn't have bluray. To use as a really big monitor or something? And does yours not have a dvi or displayport connection?

What about a projector for powerpoint presentations or whatever? It seems to me that's the most common use. Most projectors don't have displayport because displayport was designed for very high resolution displays. You need it for 30" monitors, for example. 27" monitors are usually just standard HD and hdmi or dvi is fine for those ones.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
What about a projector for powerpoint presentations or whatever? It seems to me that's the most common use. Most projectors don't have displayport because displayport was designed for very high resolution displays. You need it for 30" monitors, for example. 27" monitors are usually just standard HD and hdmi or dvi is fine for those ones.

I don't use projectors much so I guess I have zero input to provide on that. The times I have used it, I've used it with a PC laptop since it was for work. Never put any thought into what connection they use, but here i'm assuming these would be a very economical solution?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

blairh

Reaction score
"Laptop" is one word. What are you trying to hookup your TV to? There are adapters you can buy from Monoprice to attach a MDP cable to HDMI. Everything in the Apple lineup can be hooked up to your HDTV.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
...of course with basically any other laptop on earth, you could save yourself the dongle, cos they would just use a standard connection. Do dongles count as extra weight for those of you so desparate to save 200 grams?

*posted from my Macbook Pro that annoys me every time I have to connect it to a projector.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To stream from NetFlix for one.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
"Laptop" is one word. What are you trying to hookup your TV to? There are adapters you can buy from Monoprice to attach a MDP cable to HDMI. Everything in the Apple lineup can be hooked up to your HDTV.
Thanks for correcting me, how about "douchebag?" At this moment I don't have a HDTV. I'm looking into buying one and doing the whole computer as media center thing and while someday I might buy a dedicated unit I would like to be able to use my MB. And frankly I should be able to as a matter of policy. More than anything that is what annoys me, that here I have a 1000k piece of electronic equipment and I need to **** around with a bunch of extra connections to be able to use a type of connection that is the industry standard. I'm sure I could figure out how to make it work but really I shouldn't have to.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me, how about "douchebag?" At this moment I don't have a HDTV. I'm looking into buying one and doing the whole computer as media center thing and while someday I might buy a dedicated unit I would like to be able to use my MB. And frankly I should be able to as a matter of policy. More than anything that is what annoys me, that here I have a 1000k piece of electronic equipment and I need to **** around with a bunch of extra connections to be able to use a type of connection that is the industry standard. I'm sure I could figure out how to make it work but really I shouldn't have to.
Well the other option is to look for a tv with a DisplayPort input. They might exist. Also be aware that if you go the adapter route, you might have to string an additional audio cable, since DisplayPort wasn't really meant to carry an audio signal. I hear that there are ways around that, but certainly nothing as easy as one HDMI cable plug and play. PC. It "just works".
laugh.gif

blairh

Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me, how about "douchebag?"
At this moment I don't have a HDTV. I'm looking into buying one and doing the whole computer as media center thing and while someday I might buy a dedicated unit I would like to be able to use my MB.

And frankly I should be able to as a matter of policy. More than anything that is what annoys me, that here I have a 1000k piece of electronic equipment and I need to **** around with a bunch of extra connections to be able to use a type of connection that is the industry standard.

I'm sure I could figure out how to make it work but really I shouldn't have to.

I'd rather you get mad and call me a douchebag for correcting you then spend any remaining time of your life misspelling "laptop".

Instead of getting pissed that you have to figure something out why not just figure out the necessary adapter that you need and stop bitching. What MB do you have? If you have a Mini DisplayPort on your MB then you can get a MDP/HDMI cable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics