1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TRINI, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Don't be offended. He does this with everyone...

2. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

On a more serious note - as I mentioned, the current laptop isn't cutting it for Photoshop work. I don't really think of myself as a power user - I use more RAM than I do processor/graphics speed. No gaming. I usually have 30-50 browser tabs open, maybe a few word docs/spreadsheets/pdfs, some music playing, and lately a few Photoshop files open. I don't do any video work; only photo.

Thoughts on whether the i5 2.5 w/ 8GB ram will work for my needs?

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

No, it wont.

Had you consulted me ahead of time, the answer would have been 'no, it won't.'

4. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

:| But the Genius I talked to said it would.

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Wow, the salesman told you that the product you were thinking about buying would do what you needed it to do. Who could have ever guessed at that turn of events...

6. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

1. I was being facetious re: the Genius.
    2. I had already bought it (and he was aware), so the best thing for him would have probably been to try to up sell me.

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

1) I know. It would have been intelligent, and thus unlikely for you to do, to canvass for opinions ahead of time.

2) Geniuses aren't actually salesmen. There are no numbers kept on their sales progress.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

All i can say is 30-50 tabs. Thats a lotta pr0n, brah.

I have a reg mac book and i love it.

9. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Uh huh...and given comment #2 above, what exactly was the point of your smartassed salesman comment four posts up?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Your question contains your answer, young paduan

11. JilSlander

JilSlander Well-Known Member

I think my 2009 MBP is heading towards the end.

Whenever the battery life reaches 60-70%, the MBP just shuts down. Only way to revive it is to charge it and turn it on again.

This has been happening coincidentally since my AppleCare expired.

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

DCG will be needing to send his refub back shortly. Maybe he could just ship it to you instead.

13. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

My old 17" powerbook is dying. Looking to get a new MBP 15. Plan on having it a while 5yrs at least. Wondering if it's worth going for the Retina or not since it's so new. I need it sooner than later so waiting for the 2nd generation isn't an option. Thoughts?

14. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Hold out, man. Get a clunker off Craigslist or some shit. Haswell is less than 6 months away and its going to come with HUGE improvements. Especially in the 15" line.

15. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Why do you say especially the 15" line? Primary benefit of Haswell is better integrated graphics; the 15" model has dedicated graphics. Battery life will get a bump as well, but that'll benefit all models (and the 15" already has better battery life than the 13" under light usage).

16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

2 ways - either they can add in an underclocked graphics card to handle the performance needs (like they have been doing but this time without taking such a hit) and, again, reduce the battery strain, or they could eliminate the graphics card all together (which I don't see them doing quite yet) and just run it off the integrated chip.

Also, the Haswell architecture is supposed to improve battery life 30%. Whether we'll actually see that is a different story, but I think it'll definitely make the 15" a game changer if it can handle the needs of the retina screen AND hold out MBA-like battery life.

17. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

For light/medium workload, it's already within 15/20 minutes of the 13" air: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6409/13inch-retina-macbook-pro-review/11

I think the benefits will be much greater for the 13" model, which NEEDS to use integrated graphics. If I were in the market for a 15", I'd be fine buying one now (especially if my old laptop was dying).

18. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to try to hold out. No problem if nothing major happens and I've waited I guess.

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I think the integrated graphics power savings, and the increased cpu processing speed, will take the load off the graphics card and make it much less taxing to run programs at the full retina resolution, which is where the 15" bottlenecks. It works currently, but it could work MUCH better. And if you're doing things like photoshop or video editing, the ability to max out without completely stressing the system will be a major boost. Also, being able to do such taxing work will run down the battery FAR slower with the Haswell than with the Ivy Bridge.

20. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

You're welcome to your opinion, but what you're saying makes no logical sense. The 15" currently performs better than the 13", in part due the discrete GPU. So even if Haswell is a revolutionary leap forward in terms of integrated GPUs, the leap is felt more in the 13" as its performance is currently inferior to the 15" model.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6600/...rformance-compared-to-nvidias-geforce-gt-650m

Emphasis mine - no mention of the 15" in that article.