1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TRINI, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Yeah, go play with them at the store. I own a 13 inch Macbook and can't imagine owning a laptop with a smaller screen, but that's just me. The 11 feels kind of cramped.

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

15in for me, would only do air in 13

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

+1

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. Fraiche

Fraiche Well-Known Member

MBA 13" would have been a no brainer for me if it wasn't the 128 gig HD....:fu:

5. Jr Mouse

Storage increases will come with time.

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Or you could just wait for the Microsoft Surface and sell your iPad :devil:

7. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Enough cloud options and external SSD / HD options. It's not that big a bump to get 256 neither

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  8. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

New 15inch MBP Retina is the equivalent of $3,800 USD where I am. It had better be damn good for that price! Sufficed to say I won't be bothering, not with their Louis Vuitton style of pricing.

To use the usual car analogy, I don't need a Porsche (Apple MBP) when I can drive my VW (Lenovo Thinkpad) from A to B.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  9. dopeitsjosh

dopeitsjosh Well-Known Member

10. dopeitsjosh

dopeitsjosh Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a 13" MBP and my girlfriend has a 11" MBA and I would never go to an 11" laptop, I feel cramped every time I use hers

11. Jr Mouse

Ok dude. We get it. Apple products are priced at a premium where you live. You really don't need to keep bitching about it in related threads...

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Apple is only doing the same thing as LVMH and PPR, charging a price that the market is willing to pay for luxury brands and products, and they don't get any love from me either. I can comment/bitch about the local pricing if I want can't I, SF is an international forum isn't it?

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Sure you can. You just don't need to be so consistent about it. Take a break every other thread. Every comedian has to change their act eventually.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

OK change of tune. :)

I reckon by autumn there will be many laptops, other than Apple, that will have high resolution Retina style screens. PC makers to tend to follow Apple's lead sometimes, like ultralight laptops along the same lines as the Macbook Air, things like multi-touch trackpads as well.

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

want a proxy man?

16. Jr Mouse

Yes "high resolution" PC laptops will come. The question will be if they can match Apple's price to quality/performance ration. Remember, not all screens that share similar PPI are created equal and Apple uses some of the best panels on the market.

A good example of matching "tech" does not mean they match overall quality and usability is the multi-touch track-pads you mention. Apple's trackpads are considered the best and most responsive on the market.

17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I'm sure China has a bunch of tariffs on stuff like that, and Apple tends to set the prices in foreign countries based on the worst forex days of the year, since they can't exactly go around changing the price all the time. The Retina MBP is like $2300 or $2400 in Japan, so a couple hundred bucks more - but that price includes VAT, so because of the exchange rate this year the MBP is not bad to buy here, more or less the same if you live in a place where they charge tax on your Apple orders. I think I spent a motherload in Korea on the MBP I have now, it was probably at least $1000 more than what it went for in the US at the time, but I needed a computer...

18. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

+1, every thread you seem to need to let people know that

Lot of risk proxying unless you are going in person. Even they it gets sketch if customs see you with like a few new laptops. At IU a lot of exchange students would regularly send back and there were a high percentage of chinese mailings that never made it

19. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

In Hong Kong SAR, Apple products are much cheaper than they are in the Mainland. So at Beijing Airport they actually have notices warning people about smuggling Apple products in from HK and abroad, along with other smuggled contraband, with very severe penalties for those caught doing it. You just might find yourself doing 30 years in a labour camp for smuggling a Macbook.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

What if you are bringing just one back, new in box? Do you pay taxes?