1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Ironballs

Ironballs Well-Known Member

Flannel is a type of fabric treatment, not a weave. This is achieved by laying it flat and stretched firm, and brushing it with large industrial size brushes.

Hence, the thickness depends entirely on the base fabric. In the above case, the base fabric is a simple cotton twill, which has then been brushed to feel fluffy.

http://luxire.com/products/navy-wool-melton is a heavy flannel. Seems it's real melton wool or melton style wool, from which pea coats are traditionally made.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Back to the belly discussion for a sec., here's a good pic of lapels w/ the right amt of belly imo:

[​IMG]

Got it from a blog I think. Can't remember which one.

2 people like this.
  3. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

The lines of the lapel nicely follow the curves of the chest so that it looks "visually straight"

3 people like this.
  4. scrolls

scrolls Well-Known Member

Random question: anyone know the best way to wash a denim shirt? I send all my shirts to the dry cleaner, wasn't sure about denim to the dry cleaner though.

5. markfjh

markfjh Well-Known Member

@luxire I sent you guys an email about 2 weeks ago, and a PM a few days ago regarding measurement changes. Would be much appreciated if I could get a response on either channel! Cheers.

6. il vecchio

il vecchio Well-Known Member

A D ring fastening option would be great. Although maybe leather too thick?

7. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a rec for a less expensive "trial" fabric for a jacket? I'd like to knock one out before I go to the tweeds

8. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

Do CMT, (Cut, Make, Trim) this way you control the cost of the cloth by sending them your own, and you just pay for the construction.

9. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Got my shoes today...not sure what happened, but here's my short review:

To recap, I asked for a copy of this:

[​IMG]

They were having trouble matching the leather color, so I sent them this pic as an example of a color I liked:

[​IMG]

Seems simple to match the style from the first pic with the color in the 2nd pic. Here's what I got (this isn't my pic but one Luxire posted in this thread):

[​IMG]

I'm guessing they saw the 2nd picture I sent and tried to replicate those, instead of keeping the style I requested the same and just changing the color. It was clear in my email that I didn't want to change the style, only the color. And they only reason I changed the color is because they weren't able to recreate the color in the first pic I sent them. And, if they tried copying the Vass in the 2nd pic, they didn't do a very good job. The wingtip is very short and looks awkward, and the color really isn't the same either. IRL, they look like they have a reddish/burgundy tint to them. The leather feels somewhat plasticky as well. I'll try to get some of my own pics up tomorrow.

The sizing doesn't feel quite right yet either, so that's something I'll need to keep working on with them.

I want to keep working on this to try and get a perfect pair, but it seems Luxire still has a ways to go before perfecting this process.

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

^ Oh dear, that's not good, Beatle.

11. jko

jko Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would do a jacket with their fit-test trial fabric. Cotton obviously fits different than wool but I bet you could still get most of the kinks out with it.

12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Beatle,

I have that exact pair from Vass. I think you should just consider that pair since it's probably one of the nicest calfs I've handled.

13. Beatlegeuse

Those Vass do look really nice, which is why I sent the picture to Luxire so they could try and copy the color, but I was still looking for the styling and details of the shoe in the first picture I posted, the punched captoe. I'm hoping Luxire can just copy that exactly, but I haven't had luck yet with the first 2 iterations of shoes.

However, I am waiting on my first pair of Vass to arrive shortly, so I'll need to check sizing once I get those, but if they work out I definitely see myself ordering more Vass.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  14. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

Beatle, I'm not going to ask for details, but are you satisfied with Luxire's response to these issues?

15. Beatlegeuse

I've been very satisfied with the whole process so far with regards to the customer service, Theresa has been nothing but professional and courteous every step of the way. I haven't gotten a response yet on this most recent issue with the new shoes, I just sent the email last night right before I posted my review in this thread.

1 person likes this.
  16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Shoe making is no easy thing, i can't imagine this venture being sustainable with this amount of re-dos.

@Beatlegeuse How would you compare the quality of materials and construction to other brands?

17. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

Given that some people in this forum even look down on shoes of the make of Allen Edmonds I'd consider it a ballsy move from the beginning trying to cater to this very crowd of shoe snobs, yours truly not excluded.

However, I for one encourage it that Luxire always aims high. Only time will tell whether Luxire finds their niche in high quality MTO shoes or ventures more in the bag & belt direction. Keep in mind that Beatlegeuse & Co were something like a closed beta. Given their recent bags, they actually seem to know what they do leatherwise.

5 people like this.
  18. Beatlegeuse

I thought the first pair was constructed a little better than this new pair. Even though the sizing and some details were off, those appeared to be very well made, easily on par with AE/Alden as far as calf shoes are concerned. I don't have a ton of experience with Euro makers, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that they approached similar quality to something like C&J benchgrade or Carmina, which I think are both on relatively similar playing fields. I've handled both of those brands but haven't worn either for an extended period of time. I definitely wouldn't say they're high end though, clearly not in the same league as EG, JL, GG, etc.

This second pair I didn't really like as much as the first, the leather quality left something to be desired, and they kinda felt like something I would pick up on sale at Nordstrom Rack, like a lower-end Magnanni.

Yeah I think they still have a long way to go with shoes. At this point you don't really know what you're going to get as far as quality of materials, and I think even in the long run the sizing issues will be difficult to resolve. It's easy with shirts and pants (add 1/4 inch to collar points, decrease inseam by 1 inch, etc.), but with shoes, I'm having trouble explaining exactly how much to change the measurements. It's hard to quantify something like "the toebox and instep feel a little flat, might need to add a little more volume there."

19. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends how much will and dollars are behind that part of the business. If the goal was to build themselves up similar to carmina/meermins style operation than re-do's aren't an issue unless Q/C is poor. Obviously there's a huge learning curve in both technical skills and ensuring the client has provided you with sufficient information to create the product they had in mind - expectations management.

I'm not really sure theres a market for it tbh, you look at other places and they pretty much prefer doing group mto's or mto's based on their lasts and patterns for that precise reason. Perhaps though until they can establish their own lasts and patterns this is what they have to do. Interesting to see how it plays out anyway, Luxire is no stranger to the long-run, they've been making jackets for a long time and I think its taken until recently for that demand to pick up off the back of some exceptional results that have been shown off.

I wouldn't be surprised though if there was more money, quantity and less risk to be had in focusing on leather bags, belts and accessories though.

20. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Like Clapy, I think shoes are really difficult, like tailored jackets. But Ashish is committed to excellence, so I'm sure they'll get them right after they find the right people. I certainly hope they do, since there are shoes that are no longer made or that could use a modification or two. For example, I believe I was one of the original three testers and ordered a pair of suede loafers based on the old, legendary Florsheim Yuma/Langsford/Cobra Vamp. They followed the same order Beatleguese mentioned: The first pair was completed a month or more ago. It got the styling right but Ashish wasn't happy with the quality, so it wasn't sent and Luxire found a new factory. A second pair was made, but it looked like a normal venetian loafer, so it wasn't sent. A third pair is on its way now and I'll post a review w/in a week.

1 person likes this.