1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. burnso

burnso Well-Known Member

What's been suggested is that a shirt tailored/ MTM in person (and not walking out the door until it is perfect) should cost you around $200.
    Big difference between online and in-person MTM...

2. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Not totally, but I can update you once I've worn it more. Again, without a yoke, the shoulders are pretty tight. Not in the the normal horizontal sense (as in simply increasing the shoulder measurement would make it better) but more in the sense of volume, if that makes sense. It feels like I have a blazer on that is about a half size too small; just generally a little snug in the shoulder everywhere. Also, the chest measurement seems small. I would increase the chest measurement by about half an inch, maybe an inch, from what you normally take in a shirt. Also, since the bottom doesn't button up at all, the bottom hem can be taken in slightly from what you wear in a normal shirt. Also, you probably want it to be shorter than a normal shirt, and if you are planning on wearing it like an overshirt, like I am, you want the sleeves to be a touch shorter, with a bit of a larger cuff opening.

So basically, take a normal shirt measurement, then : increase chest a bit, (no clue how to fix the shoulder problem, except for adding a yoke), shorter the body a bit, shorter the sleeves a bit, increase the cuff measurement a touch. That's about it.

Hopefully that helps. Anymore questions, or something specific, just ask.

That was the first fabric I had in mind, but then it increased in price. I don't have a problem with the $150 price point, but I did have a problem with a $150 shirt I can't wear. Being my first noragi, I decided to try something a little bit more forgiving price wise.

I plan on getting a 2nd one, if I wear this one as much as I think I will. It will probably be (ideally) a slubby, course, tan/mustardy linen.

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Still a very unique and interesting piece, thanks for sharing your comments. Would be interested in seeing fit pics if you get a chance or are up to it.

4. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Wore my blue dress stripes seersucker shirt at work yesterday, the fabric is as great as everyone has been saying, and well worth the slight price increase it has had.

5. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Well-Known Member

Do you guys think my instructions to Luxire are clear? I am sending the shirt in the photo to them for measurements and adding some tweaks.

[​IMG]

6. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Grenson - your instructions are very clear. I am very impressed with your computer skills. If only I had the computer skills, I could do the same with my shirt pics above dam

Edit - just saw your comment about sloping shoulders - doesn't a sloping shoulder cause mismatching of the sleeve length i.e. the sloping sleeve is longer than the non-sloping sleeve and, if so, do you ask for different sleeve lengths on long sleeve shirts?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Not sure if you were serious, but you can do that in Word or any other common word processor in a couple of minutes. Just use text boxes and arrows. Watch a youtube tutorial if you need help, but it's all pretty basic.

BTW, Luxire shipping is incredibly fast compared to other retailers. The package was posted in Bangalore last night, and it has already made it's way to France via Mumbai and Dubai! Very impressive!

8. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was being sincere. I will try that.

Good to hear about the shipping.

9. Monkeyface

It's lots of fun to learn something new, and it's pretty easy, especially when using free online tutorials. Give it a try when you have the chance, and I'm sure you'll be able to format anything you want very quickly.

10. GrensonMan

Hey GuP,

A dropped shoulder would cause the mismatch in sleeve length. Sloping shoulders describes the way the shoulders fall in comparison to the neck. Some people have a straight line from their neck to shoulders along the traps and others like myself have a more pronounced angle. Consequently, sloping shoulders affect were the shirts rests on your back/traps. A characteristic that you will see on shirts worn by someone with sloping shoulders is a crease from armpit to shoulder which indicates pulling.

11. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Ah ok yes. Appears I had the terms "sloping" and "dropped" mixed. Good to know these details.

What happens then to someone who has rather the opposite of sloping or very sqaure shoulders?

12. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

13. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

A couple of new arrivals...

Linen-cotton pique polo:

[​IMG]

This is a unique material that's difficult to describe. Looks heavy but is light weight. Softer, a little stretchier and somewhat more matte than traditional cotton pique. Definitely has a luxury feel to it. Slight pulling under the arms is my own fault; I'm still tweaking my measurements for knits.

More importantly, this is my first test of a collar construction that Luxire mentioned a while back: the neckband is stiffer to help the collar hold its shape, but the rest is soft. This configuration is so great that I'll be requesting it on all of my shirts (both woven and knit) from now on. This is some innovative s**t right here.

Khaki linen jacket:

[​IMG]

Great, richly textured linen in a minimally lined summer jacket. I was a huge pain in the ass in specifying details (and then changing my mind) and Luxire got them all, including a reinforced placket, broad collar, some particular pocket styles, etc.

I'm a happy gent.

(Bonus cameo appearance in both photos by Luxire white dress trousers.)

15 people like this.
  14. Monkeyface

Thank you for your post! That jacket looks great, and gives me some ideas for my next order. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
    I was thinking of copying an Arnys Forestiere:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

For those having jackets made, how are you communicating your sizing? Are you providing another jacket, or is Luxire basing the jacket off shirt measurements? They've indicated they can copy a leather jacket from another manufacturer that's no longer available, but I'm hesitant, given the exact fit I'm looking for.

16. GrensonMan

Square shoulder individuals are usually easier to fit as the angle along the traps is less pronounced. You will often hear people mention the yoke as needing modification to accommodate sloping shoulders. Square shoulders fit RTW shirts better in my opinion.

17. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Thanks grenson and monkey. Always good to learn new things.

Another question: how are you guys specifying decrease in pants leg/foot opening? I have pants that fit rather well and are candidates for replication except the fact that they have a 9inch leg opening. Let's suppose I wanted to decease this to 8inches - would I have to specify the taper from knee down in exact measurements or is Luxire able to figure it out by reducing incrementally from the knee down?

18. GrensonMan

Because of the way pants are designed, you rely on the knee measurement and the ankle opening. This will ultimately determine how much taper there is. I think tailor's hands are a bit tied when trying to adjust taper in between the knee and ankle because when fabric is cut it's basically between two lines. Someone with more knowledge may step in and correct me on this.

19. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

Thank you CrazAzul. They look amazing.

Would also recommend sending the images to us for use on our site. Helps us look better.

1 person likes this.
  20. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Luxire, I've had the chance to wear my selvedge denim a couple of times now and I am very happy with how they turned out. They are truly fantastic for the price.

I'll post fit pics and happy to answer any questions regarding specific details I asked for on these jeans.

One question for Luxire - are you able to offer a service where you stonewash denim? I'd like a heavily faded pair of selvedge denim a la Baldwin's "California Wash"?

1 person likes this.