1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Any chance of green olive linen for pants (or actually a safari jacket)? I know it's out of season... but not my season. It felt like 80f yesterday all day. Same today.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

It's not that they don't sit right, but normal collars just don't have that roll. And this is coming from someone who hated button down collars up until recently. It makes me a little sad that they're not worn more often around these parts of the world. If you're going to wear a suit with no tie, you might as well wear it with a button down collar.

3. joewmoss

joewmoss Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in that too actually.

4. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

You don't always need a roll in a collar.

A lot of Non-BD stiff collars look just fine without a tie.

1 person likes this.
  5. Monkeyface

True, there's nothing wrong with a nice spread or cutaway collar, but some roll here and there wouldn't hurt. Besides, many guys are wearing those sagging collars that basically fall inside their jacket.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I love me some roll sometimes.

When trying to minutely calibrate my biz caz to the situation, sometimes a spread collar under a jacket looks better / makes more sense.

You're right that it utterly lacks roll but it also stays up just fine and looks good IMO.

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

The solution would seem to be to simply wear shirts that don't sag and fall into one's jacket. I'd agree that there's less margin for error when wearing a spread collar shirt without a tie, but a properly fitted shirt where the second button is well placed should work.

8. Monkeyface

True, all I'm saying is that button down collars have some redeeming qualities, namely the roll, which you simply can't get in any other collar. That's why both the button down and the spread collar deserve a place in a man's wardrobe, if only for variety's sake. I think they're equally appropriate in situations where a suit with no tie is worn (not my favorite look by a long shot, but you have to conform to some extent), but sadly, the rest of London does not seem to think so.

Anyway, Luxire makes equally great button down and spread collars! I'm thinking of ordering a BD shirt with hidden buttons, so it's less obvious the collar is a BD, while still having that nice roll.

9. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

An unfused, soft semi-spread collar would be a good choice when wearing without a tie.

A lot of people wear the extreme cut-away, Finamore style, collars too.

Other collars to consider would be the spearpoint and the penny/club collars. Sometimes made as button-downs too.

Spearpoints with 4" points may not look too trendy, but with shorter points, they look nice. Not at all distracting or eye-catching when worn without a tie.

1 person likes this.
  10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Well, just tried on my 6 shirts that got delivered at the end of last week, and noticed that the collar felt really tight on all of them, to the point where I couldn't even button the top button without strangling myself. I like my collars pretty snug, but these were simply too tight. Took out the tape measure and found, sure enough, that the collars on my 6 new shirts were all between 0.25 and 0.5 inches smaller than the collars on my last order. Not sure what happened, I didn't change any of the measurements from my previous order. Back to Luxire I go for some more remakes.

11. Ketawa

Ketawa Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I think this looks great without a tie. I might get a few shirts with the NOBD I collar for some more variety.

12. Simplicio

Simplicio Well-Known Member

I apologize if this has been covered recently, but I wondered if anyone had recommendations for a fairly high quality light blue fabric (not an oxford) that would work as a standard dress shirt. Something that could potentially be a "one shirt." An end-on-end fabric seems like a good choice. The most appealing one I see on the website is this:

http://luxire.com/products/pale-blue-end-on-end

But I gather that the website is limited and that it is sometimes possible to source additional fabrics that might be of higher quality.

13. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

Quilted jacket made in the Navy Melange fabric from Hunt and Winterbotham. Quilted with Thermolite.

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  14. Monkeyface

That looks great, can't wait to wear it! Thanks for posting the photo!

2 people like this.
  15. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

I think wearing a tie with a button down weird, it's just wasnt invented for this.

16. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

Luxire Peacoat, Duffle coat and Overcoat measurement guides:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Terpo

Terpo Well-Known Member

Maybe http://luxire.com/products/pale-blue-poplin

18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Who cares what it was invented for?

Unless you attend a lot of clothing history conventions.

1 person likes this.
  19. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

This is true, but the buttons just seem redundant.
    I definitely prefer other collars to wear with ties. Without ties, I am a BD guy.

20. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

In case you guys did not notice, also sporting our new Grey Plaid Fleece Tie, made using Minnis Flannel 0339

2 people like this.