1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
  1. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Well-Known Member

2. boogaboogabooga

Too soon? No interest in this what-so-ever? It's David Milch!

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

I love Michael Mann but David Milch wore out his welcome with me midway through the first season of Deadwood. His writing is as nuanced as a slap in the face.

4. boogaboogabooga

Explain.

5. boogaboogabooga

6. boogaboogabooga

Series premiere tonight after Boardwalk Empire!

7. Vigilant

Vigilant Well-Known Member

Will be watching this. I'm a fan of Milch, despite John from Cinci....

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Good Pilot. Show could grow on me.

9. boogaboogabooga

I'm excited to see how it will turn out too. Love the palette and the direction, despite a few hiccups. I'm not nuts about the persistence of the score and thought some of the sequences were sort of hokey. Also, I thought it was a bit under developed in places but I'm guessing they are going to use the remainder of the season to flesh those things out.

10. boogaboogabooga

I've been away for a while with the girlfriend, but I think the second episode may have aired already. Anyone catch it?

11. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

Didn't enjoy the first ep, probably won't keep watching.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Watched the 2nd episode. For some reason I couldn't follow it will need to rewatch.

13. fir3fox

fir3fox Well-Known Member

Same.

It didn't help I was watching it in the afternoon w/ my kids going nuts.

14. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

It is very difficult to follow. Some really good performances though.

15. boogaboogabooga

Yeah, the gambling rhetoric is really hard to follow. I'm loving the performances though. Great acting.

16. fir3fox

fir3fox Well-Known Member

I started watching it w/ the caption on, seems to help.

17. whallyden

whallyden Well-Known Member

Terribly disappointed. Bordering on the incoherance last seen in John from Cincinnati. When does GoT start?

18. boogaboogabooga

... I don't see it. Luck so far is difficult for me because I don't know how the gambling works or anything about the culture of it, which affects how I comprehend the dialog and plot. We know that Ace has something planned and that the band of 4 gamblers have some serious aspirations. Who knows, the dialog could even be designed to be incomprehensible to laymen in order to ratchet up dramatic tension. We have to rely on the performances and really watch to get an idea what's going on. JfC, if I'm remembering correctly, wasn't hard to follow because of it's esoteric language.

Aren't we all only two episodes in? Unless you managed to watch the third already, it's still got a lot of leg room before being an incoherent mess. HBO shows with an ensemble cast tend to spend at least the first episode introducing the majority of the cast and alluding to the various characters possible trajectories.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  19. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

I don't think it's nearly as much of a mess as John From Cincinnati. It's definitely no Deadwood either (what is?). I enjoy it, but I don't see it finding much of an audience unless it goes a little more mainstream in its storytelling.

There have been some really great moments in it and the racing scenes last week were great. And I'm with you in that I enjoyed learning about some of the ins and outs of horse racing (although a lot of them I had to learn on my own just so I could keep up with the story), but I doubt even the average HBO viewer is going to want to put that much into a show to understand what is going on.