1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Luciano Barbera on NOT wearing jeans. Ever.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by harryx2, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Mikael

Mikael Well-Known Member

^ now that's controversial.

2. OlSarge

OlSarge Well-Known Member

They do not. With the comma communicates that wearing jeans is always inappropriate. Without implies that there are occasions where jeans are appropriate but every occasion is not.

3. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, caught that.... lost some of my nuts and bolts for a sec.

4. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

My father didn't own any jeans and I don't recall seeing any photos of him in jeans either. He likely owned jeans at some point in his life when younger, but I never knew of them.

I used to lament that he was so "formal" (and limited) in his attire (i.e. that he always wore trousers and button shirts), but now appreciate his choice and his sense that suiting (or trousers and jackets) were what suited him best..

5. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

I haven't owned denim jeans for 20 years (46 years old now) - just didn't like the feel of them.

But I have informal pants such as chinos and corduroys. Nothing wrong with jeans at the right time though, and I'm probably getting a pair soon.

6. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Well-Known Member

Didn't read the article, but my two cents: wear clothing that you look good in, and is suited to the occasion.

Sorry, but I look good in jeans [​IMG] and will keep wearing them in appropriate settings.

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

to the guys who don't own jeans.

Lets say its late fall, its a saturday morning, and you want to go grab a coffee and a newspaper.

To me, that would mean dark jeans, chukkas, and a half zip sweater and I would already be dressed nicer than 95% of people.

Are you guys really putting on wool trousers or chinos in this situation?

What if its a run to 7-11 for some milk you forgot at the store? gabardine trousers and a cashmere sweater with lobb oxfords? sheesh

Jeans are very versatile and I will always own and wear them.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Ah, a trick question! Surely, you would send your manservant out, whilst you lounged in your robe and velvet slippers?

9. Quadcammer

ha, every once in a while, I like to get out there with the pleibs

10. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Barbera is one of the best dressed men in history, but his position on jeans is wrong. Even the best make mistakes. This is even more laughable than the "how to wear a white shirt" nonsense. No jeans, no white button down EVER [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  11. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

I'm in the 'no jeans' brigade. I would be much more comfortable in some well-worn moleskins or cords in this scenario. But this is very much for me - I'm not in the 'no jeans for anyone' camp.

12. Quadcammer

ok, so lets say you are bumming around the house?

what do you wear?

13. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

Same - probably more well-worn. I find them a lot more comfortable. I don't find jeans comfortable.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

A[m]azing what an extra letter can do...

15. Quadcammer

Interesting. A good worn in pair of jeans is very comfortable to me. I guess its all preferences.

16. Gorecki

Gorecki Well-Known Member

what about sports activities ?

http://www.worldofkays.org/website/wp-content/uploads/BI-1933.jpg

17. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I don't wear jeans all that often, but the random hating on jeans by #menswear icons is real tiresome.

18. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

I strongly agree with Jan. Jeans are fine for the purposes for which they were invented, but, in my opinion, for no other purpose whatever. Balfour's postings also make good sense to me. As for "comfort" - I think the idea that they are comfortable is simply agreeing with an unwritten social rule - the fabric is stiff, too hot for summer and not warm enough for winter. The current fashion of sports jacket + open-necked shirt + jeans - I LOATHE it!

1 person likes this.
  19. harryx2

harryx2 Well-Known Member

I also believe that jeans are not comfortable. Too stiff, and indeed not a fabric that is 'flexible' when it comes to weather conditions.

20. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Well-Known Member