1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Low calorie snacks

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by no_pseudonym, Jul 22, 2007.

1. no_pseudonym

no_pseudonym Well-Known Member

I tend to snack a lot during the day, because I always seem to be hungry. I don't have a weight problem (yet) but I have started to develop a bit of a gut. I'm not ready to give up snacking cold turkey, but I'm looking for suggestions for low-calorie snacks.

I usually just snack on fruit if I'm in the mood for something sweet, but it's the high-calorie savoury and salty snacks that I can't stay away from e.g. chips, fries, mini pizzas, etc. Any suggestions for something low in fats and carbs, but possibly high in protein that would make a good snack?

2. avatar

I'm a fan of granola/granola bars for snacks - it's low calorie and filling imo.

3. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Raw almonds (even roasted and lightly salted are fine), low carb energy bars (EAS, Atkins, some Ballance Bars and Protien Plus), sunflower seeds in the shell are the best imo because they keep you busy and are high protien/low carb.

4. Willsw

Willsw Well-Known Member

cold turkey

Try it hot, as well.

5. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

Try beef jerky. A serving is quite low in calories but has a lot of protein and is rather satisfying because of the chewiness (takes a while to eat) and the saltiness. I used to reach for the chips when I wanted a snack but now go with jerky instead.

6. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Well-Known Member

Try beef jerky. A serving is quite low in calories but has a lot of protein and is rather satisfying because of the chewiness (takes a while to eat) and the saltiness. I used to reach for the chips when I wanted a snack but now go with jerky instead.

That's a good point. Since sometimes your body misinterprets dehydration for hunger, anytime I want to grab a snack I drink a glass of water beforehand. Sometimes just getting the necessary H2O is enough to satiate the impulse.

7. Milhouse

Milhouse Well-Known Member

Ice is the ultimate low calorie snack.

8. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

For a lot of these things like granola or almonds you really have to watch your serving sizes, it's easy to eat too much and really up the caloric intake.

9. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Salmon jerky. Walnuts.

10. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

Salmon jerky. Walnuts.

I've never had salmon jerky. Is it as tasty as beef jerky?

11. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

I like the new Atkins Caramel bars, though I never eat more than one in a day since they've got a bit too much fat for my liking. However, very high in protine and fiber, without a lot of suggar. If you have a fridge, I love some cold smoked salmon on wheat crackers. In fact that's my default post-workout snack now. Oh, and fat free yogurt is good, too.

12. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

A lot of those more organic wheat thins and dried fruit, yum.

13. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

A lot of those more organic wheat thins and dried fruit, yum.

Dried fruit is usually calorically dense and loaded with sugar, so it might not always been the best option.

14. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Dried fruit is usually calorically dense and loaded with sugar, so it might not always been the best option.

+1. They also contain added fat (and not necessarily the good kind) from vegetable oil used in manufacturing.

15. no_pseudonym

no_pseudonym Well-Known Member

Salmon jerky. Walnuts.

Where can I get salmon jerky from? Sounds interesting, but I don't think I've every seen in an any of the grocery stores I've been to. Is something usually kept in health food stores?

16. Filthy Monkey

Filthy Monkey New Member

Jerky is great, but be sure to check the ingredients. Some will use an excessive amount of brown sugar or corn syrup, ruining what could otherwise be a relatively healthy snack.

17. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

Where can I get salmon jerky from? Sounds interesting, but I don't think I've every seen in an any of the grocery stores I've been to. Is something usually kept in health food stores?

I found some good options on Amazon.

18. TokenIndianKid

TokenIndianKid Member

cottage cheese (if you have a fridge)
    peanut butter

or cottage cheese + peanut butter

19. egoiste

egoiste Active Member

I agree with the beef jerky (or turkey jerky or whatever jerky for that matter). It takes me a long time to chew it and it solves my yearning for something saltly (I prefer salty snacks rather than something sweet).

I'm the same as you, I love snacking. I would rather eat little by little than a whole meal most of the time. I also like those little Nabisco 100 Calorie Pack snack bags. I also like snacking on granola with yogurt, grapes, unsalted cashews, baby carrots and ice cubes (even though these things aren't salty snacks).

20. barita_lola

barita_lola New Member

My friend I think apples are a great source for low calorie snacks. They are low in calorie, help with cholesterol, and clean your teeth (when there's no toothbrush in site). Popcorn is also great,but watch the butter and salt--if you can tolerate salt-free and butter-free (gag!),t-hat's the best because of the over-all cholesterol amount that salt and butter would add. Another great snack is Quaker Corn Cakes.