1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Looking to get a new Bimmer - lease or CPO?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gumercindo, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

The guys at Top Gear made a very bad review of the Cayman, they compared it to an emasculated Carrera [​IMG]

Clarkson called it the 'Coxster' because it was like a coupe Boxter, which had me LMAO. But, it's still a beautiful car, one of the better Porsches in terms of styling. They catch my eye.

Regards,
    Huntsman

2. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

The only complaint I've ever seen with a Cayman is that they said it felt like Porsche intentionally held back a little so that it wouldn't beat it's bigger brother and that is probably true. The Z4 is ok, but that face...
    From a business stand point it makes perfect sense, given that the Cayman is better balanced. It would be a shame to a offer car for lesser money, that can outperform their topdog.

Even though, it sure would be nice to see a twin turbo optioned Cayman.

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

I don't like much the Z4 also... I prefer the Z3.

However the Z4 was designed for the American market and built in America at the beginning

4. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

The guys at Top Gear made a very bad review of the Cayman, they compared it to an emasculated Carrera [​IMG]

Yes, and they also hate almost all BMWs.

--Andre

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I don't like much the Z4 also... I prefer the Z3.

However the Z4 was designed for the American market and built in America at the beginning

well then according to you it must be terrible [​IMG]

6. Chasey

Chasey Active Member

I would say lease the redesigned 3-series sedan or coupe if you can't upgrade to anything else. my parents bought me the new one for my 16th birthday (I don't have it anymore but only because I wanted an SUV instead) and it was really an awesome car. it handles unbelievably well, the sound system is impressive for an entry-level car like that, and I think the interior was much, much nicer looking than even my Range Rover's. it's an all-around attractive car, much better than any of its counterparts IMO.

also, please don't get a Z. I hate them. I just think they're infinitely ugly. :X

if you could spend a bit more then get a 5-series instead, the lowest-model 5 is actually not THAT much more expensive than a 3, plus it comes with navigation and some other stuff standard I think. also, like someone said, the Cayman would be a good choice as well, although it costs a bit more.

7. josephrex

josephrex Well-Known Member

just bought a 6cyl audi and i am missing my old bmw terribly. drove a range rover in between - what a nightmare.

the lease or CPO question is a difficult one. if you're a shrewd businessman, you'll figure out what will cost you less when all is said and done (after you've sold the car if you buy it, or after your lease term). if you have enough cash on hand to get a nice rate on a long loan, put nothing down and pay $1000/month until it's done early you will probably come out futher ahead if you keep the car for 3 years than if you'd leased.

if you don't have that cash i wouldn't do it, just lease. it's so much easier to just get rid of the car. the trick though, is to negotiate the most favorable lease deal possible. use edmunds.com to decide their "true market price" in your area and insist that your local dealer (only deal with the internet/fleet manager) use that as the price they figure your lease terms out with. you can just call 3 three in a row and tell them the price you want to "pay".

8. Chasey

Chasey Active Member

just bought a 6cyl audi and i am missing my old bmw terribly. drove a range rover in between - what a nightmare. the lease or CPO question is a difficult one. if you're a shrewd businessman, you'll figure out what will cost you less when all is said and done (after you've sold the car if you buy it, or after your lease term). if you have enough cash on hand to get a nice rate on a long loan, put nothing down and pay $1000/month until it's done early you will probably come out futher ahead if you keep the car for 3 years than if you'd leased. if you don't have that cash i wouldn't do it, just lease. it's so much easier to just get rid of the car. the trick though, is to negotiate the most favorable lease deal possible. use edmunds.com to decide their "true market price" in your area and insist that your local dealer (only deal with the internet/fleet manager) use that as the price they figure your lease terms out with. you can just call 3 three in a row and tell them the price you want to "pay".
    sorry to drag this off-topic, but, you didn't like driving a Range Rover? :eek: that's what I gave up my BMW for! were you driving the real one or a sport? I have an HSE (as opposed to Sport HSE) and I love it.

9. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I grew up. I kept the old car that still runs.

10. josephrex

josephrex Well-Known Member

that's what I gave up my BMW for!

my situation was not by choice. range rovers are environmentally/socially irresponsible. i live in los angeles.

11. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Well-Known Member

Once you've had a bimmer you'll never consider something different
    The 3er (and 5er, too) is a great all-round car, but if you want a sport driving experience, compare to Lotus, Porsche, Subaru STi and Mitsu EVO, or for all out performance, the z06. Me: I'm an e36 to STi convert.

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Clarkson called it the 'Coxster' because it was like a coupe Boxter, which had me LMAO. But, it's still a beautiful car, one of the better Porsches in terms of styling. They catch my eye.

The Cayman is one of the most gorgeous Porsches ever imho. They drive well also. Possibly my next car.

[knocks on wood]

13. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Well-Known Member

I currently have a 325i (2002) with 70k miles and am looking to trade it in.

I am considering either buying a CPO 2005 similar 325i with 20-30k miles on it, or get a brand new lease.

thoughts?

BMW build quality usually improved with model age, so a late e46 (old style 3er)
    might be a safer (and cheaper) bet than a new e92 (new 3 coupe). If you lready
    have an e46 and you like it enough to consider aoth e46, why not just keep
    the car you have now for a couple more years ?