1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Looking like a fool

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Poloboy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

Who else thinks the following "styles" look absolutely foolish.

Always wearing a dress shirt untucked with trousers or jeans.

Wearing a sweater over an untucked dress shirt.

Wearing a suit or sport coat over an untucked dress shirt.

Why do we always have to go to the lowest common denominator?

Can any one honestly say that any of the above "styles"' look appropriate on any one older than a 3 year old child who does not know any better.

2. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

just like the baggy jeans. this will go away except for a few die hards.
    im sure because i have seen that change in my grand kids.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

There's no need for these three separate lines, you should just say 'wearing an untucked dress shirt...ever'. It is always bad.

4. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

It is a fashion which has come and will probably stay. In 15 years time those who remember customs prior will be gone and it will be the norm to most folk. Just like so many other changes over 50 years - the oldest of which we would now regard as odd/old fashioned.

5. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

I actually like the un-tucked look on certain occasions, for example, un-tucked with jeans. I think it would look much sillier if you tucked it in as it goes against the casual theme of jeans. I typically abide by the rule that whatever is he outermost layer of clothing should be un-tucked. I.e. an un-tucked shirt with jeans, but if wearing a sweater or sport coat, it should be tucked in.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I wear an untucked shirt under a sweater.

I disagree with you.

If you wish to fight about it, I will take my shirttails and flap you with them until you become rashy.

6 people like this.
  7. Gauss17

Oh snap

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

he may perhaps even need calamine lotion.

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

See, here's my thing: in most cases, untucked looks bad. Social mores aside, it just looks messy. And while some seem to be uncomfortable wearing a shirt tucked in, something I'm convinced is just because it's a deviation from the baggy tee shirt feel they're used to, I'm perfectly comfortable wearing a tucked in shirt. It's not restricting in any way, though with an awkwardly sized shirt I can see how it could be. Maybe things feel different when you're fat like the standard issue American these days. I wouldn't know, never been anywhere close to it.

So I tuck my shirts in, just about all the time. On the beach with swim trunks is about the only exception, along with hockey jerseys (Other sports I wear tee shirts). It highlights my waist, provides a nice clean break between top and bottom, and I get to wear neat belts.

I always tuck the innermost layer in. Sweaters and jackets are, of course, untucked, but the shirt never is, regardless of whether an outer layer is present.

10. Gauss17

When it comes to jeans and casual chinos, I have to disagree. Jeans and the like are inherently casual (despite societies tenancy to dress them up more and more), and I think tucking a shirt into jeans and casual pants is too formal for my taste (sans sweater or sport coat). However, I will say if you are wearing nice wool slacks or something a bit "dressier", then I think the tucked in look is much better, it just goes better with the theme (for lack of a better term) of the outfit. Awkwardly sized shirts do no one any favors, although I grant you, it probably looks worse when tucked in due to billowing out at the waist.

To each his own I suppose, lest they be judged by Spoo's shirttails.

11. whochrisliu

whochrisliu Well-Known Member

Oh the style I hate the most is the "Fashionable Preppy" look. You know they got a bright buttoned up shirt untucked, sleeves rolled up, a vest that is too short, dress pants and oxfords, with ridiculous D&G Sunglasses and the hipster gel hair? (Some might even have the audacity to wear those horrid black and white checkered skater shoes instead of the dress shoes) hell might as well add in some ear gauges and a crappy oversized digital watch to boot. Looks like a Express/GAP/A|X nightmare.

-shudders-

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing the formality of jeans, at least not here. That's a discussion that could certainly be had. At least in this context, I'm disputing whether tucking your shirt in is inherently a formal thing. I'm saying that it's a standard thing that is neither inherently formal or informal, and that insisting that somehow you have to untuck with less formal clothing is utterly moronic.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

+1

Otherwise, I don't have a problem with the untucked dress shirt if it fits. People wear dress shirts that don't fit well tucked in. This is compounded when they wear dress shirts untucked with tails that are too long. If the dimensions are right, then an untucked shirt looks fine.

14. NiFTY

NiFTY Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP. Untucked dress shirts are a real bugbear of mine. The fact that the wearers often have a baggy shirt, and accompany their shirt with 'distressed' jeans and slip on square toe shoes is the icing on the cake.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Whoah there, no one said anything about square toe shoes.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound "preppy" at all.

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I once worked as a chess instructor. Most of my colleagues were well ranked in the state (California). Some were even well ranked in the nation.

One of these colleagues would tuck his cotton sweatshirts into his wide-wale corduroy trousers.

I encourage you all to do this.

18. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

So you don't like untucked dress shirts.... OK...what else?

19. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Polo shirts without the matching helmet :embar:

20. Gauss17

Haha, well, you certainly don't have to tuck/untuck your dress shirts with less formal clothing, I just personally think it looks more laid back and congruent. Now, assuming that by " I'm disputing whether tucking your shirt in is inherently a formal thing", you mean that there is no difference in formality if one wears their shirt tucked in vs. untucked, I disagree. For example, when you were a little kid and your mom made you tuck in your shirt and probably fixed your hair, she did this because you looked more presentable or more "dressed up". I have a hard time believing that if you surveyed a population of random people, they would disagree.