• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking like a fool

Poloboy

Reaction score
Who else thinks the following "styles" look absolutely foolish.

Always wearing a dress shirt untucked with trousers or jeans.

Wearing a sweater over an untucked dress shirt.

Wearing a suit or sport coat over an untucked dress shirt.

Why do we always have to go to the lowest common denominator?

Can any one honestly say that any of the above "styles"' look appropriate on any one older than a 3 year old child who does not know any better.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
just like the baggy jeans. this will go away except for a few die hards.
im sure because i have seen that change in my grand kids.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wearing a dress shirt untucked with trousers or jeans.

There's no need for these three separate lines, you should just say 'wearing an untucked dress shirt...ever'. It is always bad.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a fashion which has come and will probably stay. In 15 years time those who remember customs prior will be gone and it will be the norm to most folk. Just like so many other changes over 50 years - the oldest of which we would now regard as odd/old fashioned.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the un-tucked look on certain occasions, for example, un-tucked with jeans. I think it would look much sillier if you tucked it in as it goes against the casual theme of jeans. I typically abide by the rule that whatever is he outermost layer of clothing should be un-tucked. I.e. an un-tucked shirt with jeans, but if wearing a sweater or sport coat, it should be tucked in.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Who else thinks the following "styles" look absolutely foolish.
Always wearing a dress shirt untucked with trousers or jeans.
Why do we always have to go to the lowest common denominator?
Can any one honestly say that any of the above "styles"' look appropriate on any one older than a 3 year old child who does not know any better.

I wear an untucked shirt under a sweater.

I disagree with you.

If you wish to fight about it, I will take my shirttails and flap you with them until you become rashy.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually like the un-tucked look on certain occasions, for example, un-tucked with jeans. I think it would look much sillier if you tucked it in as it goes against the casual theme of jeans. I typically abide by the rule that whatever is he outermost layer of clothing should be un-tucked. I.e. an un-tucked shirt with jeans, but if wearing a sweater or sport coat, it should be tucked in.

See, here's my thing: in most cases, untucked looks bad. Social mores aside, it just looks messy. And while some seem to be uncomfortable wearing a shirt tucked in, something I'm convinced is just because it's a deviation from the baggy tee shirt feel they're used to, I'm perfectly comfortable wearing a tucked in shirt. It's not restricting in any way, though with an awkwardly sized shirt I can see how it could be. Maybe things feel different when you're fat like the standard issue American these days. I wouldn't know, never been anywhere close to it.

So I tuck my shirts in, just about all the time. On the beach with swim trunks is about the only exception, along with hockey jerseys (Other sports I wear tee shirts). It highlights my waist, provides a nice clean break between top and bottom, and I get to wear neat belts.

I always tuck the innermost layer in. Sweaters and jackets are, of course, untucked, but the shirt never is, regardless of whether an outer layer is present.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See, here's my thing: in most cases, untucked looks bad. Social mores aside, it just looks messy. And while some seem to be uncomfortable wearing a shirt tucked in, something I'm convinced is just because it's a deviation from the baggy tee shirt feel they're used to, I'm perfectly comfortable wearing a tucked in shirt. It's not restricting in any way, though with an awkwardly sized shirt I can see how it could be. Maybe things feel different when you're fat like the standard issue American these days. I wouldn't know, never been anywhere close to it.
So I tuck my shirts in, just about all the time. On the beach with swim trunks is about the only exception, along with hockey jerseys (Other sports I wear tee shirts). It highlights my waist, provides a nice clean break between top and bottom, and I get to wear neat belts.
I always tuck the innermost layer in. Sweaters and jackets are, of course, untucked, but the shirt never is, regardless of whether an outer layer is present.

When it comes to jeans and casual chinos, I have to disagree. Jeans and the like are inherently casual (despite societies tenancy to dress them up more and more), and I think tucking a shirt into jeans and casual pants is too formal for my taste (sans sweater or sport coat). However, I will say if you are wearing nice wool slacks or something a bit "dressier", then I think the tucked in look is much better, it just goes better with the theme (for lack of a better term) of the outfit. Awkwardly sized shirts do no one any favors, although I grant you, it probably looks worse when tucked in due to billowing out at the waist.

To each his own I suppose, lest they be judged by Spoo's shirttails.

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Oh the style I hate the most is the "Fashionable Preppy" look. You know they got a bright buttoned up shirt untucked, sleeves rolled up, a vest that is too short, dress pants and oxfords, with ridiculous D&G Sunglasses and the hipster gel hair? (Some might even have the audacity to wear those horrid black and white checkered skater shoes instead of the dress shoes) hell might as well add in some ear gauges and a crappy oversized digital watch to boot. Looks like a Express/GAP/A|X nightmare.

-shudders-

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When it comes to jeans and casual chinos, I have to disagree. Jeans and the like are inherently casual (despite societies tenancy to dress them up more and more), and I think tucking a shirt into jeans and casual pants is too formal for my taste (sans sweater or sport coat). However, I will say if you are wearing nice wool slacks or something a bit "dressier", then I think the tucked in look is much better, it just goes better with the theme (for lack of a better term) of the outfit. Awkwardly sized shirts do no one any favors, although I grant you, it probably looks worse when tucked in due to billowing out at the waist.
To each his own I suppose, lest they be judged by Spoo's shirttails.

I'm not disputing the formality of jeans, at least not here. That's a discussion that could certainly be had. At least in this context, I'm disputing whether tucking your shirt in is inherently a formal thing. I'm saying that it's a standard thing that is neither inherently formal or informal, and that insisting that somehow you have to untuck with less formal clothing is utterly moronic.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a fashion which has come and will probably stay. In 15 years time those who remember customs prior will be gone and it will be the norm to most folk. Just like so many other changes over 50 years - the oldest of which we would now regard as odd/old fashioned.

+1

Otherwise, I don't have a problem with the untucked dress shirt if it fits. People wear dress shirts that don't fit well tucked in. This is compounded when they wear dress shirts untucked with tails that are too long. If the dimensions are right, then an untucked shirt looks fine.

NiFTY

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. Untucked dress shirts are a real bugbear of mine. The fact that the wearers often have a baggy shirt, and accompany their shirt with 'distressed' jeans and slip on square toe shoes is the icing on the cake.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoah there, no one said anything about square toe shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads