• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some suit brand recommendations

jo-fu

Reaction score
Whatever you get make sure you plan on spending ~150 getting it tailored (hopefully by someone you trust). Anything that fits you in the shoulders is going to be huge in the body and the sleeves probably too long.

I saw those Banana Rep suits the other day and they looked like they should be at kmart. I also wouldn't rule out MTM if you have time to get it done.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If there's a Ralph Lauren outlet store anywhere near you, that might also be worth a visit. You never know what you're going to get there, but occasionally you'll stumble onto a great steal on a suit. At this time of year, though, most outlet stores have probably been thoroughly picked over. If you can wait till the first few weeks of 2010, they might get a fresh stock of unsold 2009 merch.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track with the stores you have set up to visit. You probably will not find any smaller sized solid charcoal or navy suits in a store like Nordstrom Rack, NM Last Call, or Saks off 5th, unless you're willing to spend more money.

You might find a solid Burberry suit for your price range. They are made in the USA of decent quality, and cut a bit slimmer than their big brother company - Hickey Freeman. You can try a Burberry Outlet, and they usually have a bunch of them at Saks off 5th (but again, you will have a tough time finding your size in a conservative color in those stores).

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
Thick as Theives offers high quality, well-fitting suits at reasonable prices. They should run you about $400-500 each, depending on the fabric, buttons and other options you can choose.

Would not recommend this option for a first suit unless you're in the LA area and can be fit/measured in person.

bobbers

Reaction score
Is there a Filene's Basement near you? Last week I saw some solid grays from Hickey Freeman's "hickey" line for $499, and suit event discount knocks 25% off that. Not sure about available sizes though.

phillyesq

Reaction score
I'd check Brooks Brothers. This summer, during the semi-annual sale, their suits were 50% off. The morning after Christmas, when the next sale starts, there is generally an additional discount on top of that. The Regent and Fitzgerald suits will probably meet your needs.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Would not recommend this option for a first suit unless you're in the LA area and can be fit/measured in person.

Agreed. Don't do this for your first.

Originally Posted by phillyesq
I'd check Brooks Brothers. This summer, during the semi-annual sale, their suits were 50% off. The morning after Christmas, when the next sale starts, there is generally an additional discount on top of that. The Regent and Fitzgerald suits will probably meet your needs.

+1. Check out the Fitzgerald cut in their 1818 line. It's not RLBL, but slim enough by BB standards and really a perfect interview suit for a slimmer guy who wants to keep a conservative, mature look.

The cut fits me well, and I'm a relatively slim 36R with a 29-30" waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads